Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Small primers and big Bullets? Fiocchi 45 Acp Brass

Boolit Grand Master

Small primers and big Bullets? Fiocchi 45 Acp Brass

I recently resumed loading 45 ACP after a decade long hiatus, and in a bag of used brass I ran into just about a dozen that had small pistol primers. Since when? And Why? Other than the usual collection of the forces out to befuddle me, is thee a good reason for this? It sure makes reloading difficult.

Boolit Master
    These cases crop up from time to time. I don't know why they were made but they work just fine if loaded with small primers. On the "Hassle to Benefit Ratio" these always end up in my scrap bucket and are eventually sold to the scrap metal recyclers.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Grand Master
    Segregate 'em and let the autoloader fling them into the weeds if you want to do some field shooting. Ends the heartache of lost brass because you don't care if they're lost.

I keep a box of 1000 of them put back in case things get tight again. I then have the option of loading .45acp with LP, SP or SR primers. During the last primer fiasco I was OK primer wise but my good buddy was low on LP. He had a few K of SR and asked if I would trade some LP for them. I told him he could just use the brass if needed and use his SR primers. Works for me!

Oh and all the .45 with small primers I have found are the "Non Toxic" type and have a NT headstamp.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

As I understand it
    All the small primered 45 brass is loaded with Non Toxic primers
    And I believe they only make Non Toxic primers in the small size

So rather than making a 2 size primer , they changed the primer hole in the case

A while back I was given several 1000 Win Clean 45 ACP cases
    So I set up the dillon and left the small primer set up in after loading 9MM

So I now just do a quik sort as I inspect the cases

On a side note
    One of the shooters at the club that is into Bullseye shooting
    Claims the small primer 45 case's produce better accurcy

With my skill , I will take his word
    As I am happy just to keep all my shots in the black

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Yep, "NT" priming ie., no lead priming. For indoor ranges. Usually easier to just segregate it out.

Banned

You fellas need to read more posts!
    After many tests with a S&W revolver and the .45 ACP with dismal results, I concluded the LP primer was too much for the small case. I made inserts to change to a SP primer and cut groups by 2/3's. Then my friend found SP brass and that solved the problems, very small groups.
    We then tried them in his 1911 that I built for him and they also cut group size. This gun will do 1/2" at 30 yards and to see an improvement with a primer change was eye opening.
    You make a mistake tossing the brass without a test.