Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Cleaning At The Range

Boolit Mold

Cleaning At The Range

I'm would like to know if any of you clean autos after so many shots at the range. I sometimes take my bronze brush saturated with Hoppe's and run it through my Sig P6 after say four five shot groups with lead cast boolits. BNH is usually 12 to 14. Thanks, Jerry

Boolit Master

I clean mine in the evening, even if at a hotel, after 300-400 shots in a match without problems. The barrel doesn't lead so no reason to worry about the barrel. It's the action that cruds up from boolit lube that stops the gun from running. If the barrel is leading or otherwise grunged up after 20 rounds you need to figure out what's wrong and fix the problem. You might try making a single pass with a dry wool mop or patch and see if it really needed cleaning or if you just had some burned powder residue.

When I shoot my .44 Mag Contender the rounds are 250 grain Keith Type SWCs with a charge of 2400. The 2400 leaves particles in the barrel. I fire one round of .44 Special with Wincheter 231 pushing it when I'm done and it's clean. Lube is Bullshop's Speed Green.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    Ceaning after done shooting is one thing but after 20 shots? Really?
    I might do this if I was testing loads or lubes and wanted to make sure I was starting with a non-leaded bore.
    I have shot 100s of rounds from many handguns without any cleaning with no problems. I listen to the fun, if it seems happy, why mess with it?

Boolit Master
    My experience is exactly what Dave2011 has described.

I will every 100 rds take a paper towel and finger around the
    barrel ramp, and face of slide and wipe quickly around the
    entire open ejection port. This is a 30 second wipe out
    of any crud. My little finger fits these confined spaces
    precisely

Boolit Master

If I am not testing loads, I'll run a dry boresnake up the mag well and down the bore every 100-200 rds.

When I was working on getting my 1911 "lead free," I pulled a dry boresnake every 50 rounds to inspect the bore.. I stopped after 600 rounds, as blown back lube and powder residue was gumming up the slide. No lead in the barrel, so I declared victory and stopped there.

Like others I clean the action when needed. The barrel on my 1911s never seem to need cleaning. They always look the same after one or 100 shots. Just for kicks I ran hundreds of rounds through one 1911 shooting the Mihec version of the H&G #68 lubed with FWFL over 4.1gr "Titewad" and Wolf LP primer. I then shot an IDPA fun day event with no problems and continued with the practice shooting for weeks afterwords without cleaning. It was finally so dirty that I had to clean it.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Ceaning after done shooting is one thing but after 20 shots? Really?
    I might do this if I was testing loads or lubes and wanted to make sure I was starting with a non-leaded bore.
    Agree
    If it's a habit--then have at it. but if you have to, find the problem and fix it. (if it's a problem )
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master
    That's cleaning far more frequently than I need or desire. Maybe every 500 rounds or so, and it really hasn't given any trouble whatsoever with that cleaning regimen.

Boolit Grand Master

never have, unless breaking in a barrel and a rarely do that any more.
    Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.