MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lube in chamber

Boolit Master

Lube in chamber

Gents, be it LLA or stick lube, I find it deposits just a kiss in my barrel chamber
    (I use 1911 barrel off my pistol as a case gauge on all reloads made) when I test loads in the PLONK test.

After a while, like 30 bullets tested, I see they are running into lube deposits in the chamber of barrel and its got to be taken out.

I happened on to a great tool for this purpose: My M3A1 M1 Rifle cleaning tool with its brass brush. One twist of that brush using this tool and chamber is cleared of lube deposits.

If you got to clean a 9mm, 45acp chamber ( or case gauge) of lube deposits, and you got the Garand tool, give it a try .

Boolit Master
    PLONK. lol.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Master

when I test loads in the PLONK test.
    What does the plunk test tell you ?
    What is your bullet and OAL of the finished round ?
    How do you crimp ?

I see they are running into lube deposits in the chamber of barrel and its got to be taken out.
    Why? what is happening ?
    Are you saying you break the 1911 down after 30 rounds and go through this routine ?
    Does the pistol become inoperable ?

be it LLA or stick lube, I find it deposits just a kiss in my barrel chamber
    How much is a kiss of lube ?
    How do you mix/apply the LLA and what kind of stick lube.
    and last--what is the problem with a little lube in the chamber.
    The tool you speak of is a nice tool, wipe it off, put it away and get to the heart of the problem.
    you should be able to shoot 2,3,500 rounds without tying up the pistol.
    If your just sharing about the tool that's fine, thanks.
    I am not being a wise guy, I was not issued any wise guy, just saying it ain't right.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Okay: I test every round in my barrel with it out of my 1911. Bullets should fit correctly and drop freely in and out of the barrel (case gauge if you got one). Now LLA is sticky stuff and when a bullet with it on it drops off press into bin (Dillon progressive) the noses kiss cases of ammo in the bin. The kiss of lube you can see on the brass and you can see it retards ever slightly rounds dropping into chamber of barrel or gauge. Yes, you can wipe them off and I do but only after the fail they drop into barrel PLONK test.

We are talking about loaded rounds correctly seated to COL as in Hornady manual

Yes I taper crimp.

LLA will also accumulate in the barrels chamber during testing of rounds and you can take it out with tool as stated.

If a round does not drop in and out of barrel: something is amiss. Lube on case, Lube deposits in chamber or your crimp is off.

THe Garand tool is great for cleaning chambers.

Now with stick lube its not that way but if you done thousands of rounds you know some lube can be moved up near case mouth when you seat bullets. I try to find any with those deposits before I do the test with barrel (or case gauge). If one gets by me, it will not drop into chamber freely during PLONK test.

A proper round loaded drops with a PLONK into the barrel. (Barrel is always out of weapon).

My rounds pre tested this way flow in and out of weapon at the range.

Boolit Master

Well that's great, sounds like your loading like a pro.
    Your all set--I though you had a problem.
    I guess I have learn about all this new stuff.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    When I first start loading for a new to me gun or gun/boolit combo; I do the plunk to see how long I can go on that gun and how that compares to standards. I don't test each one, not that patient. I do notice a similar type of build-up in seating dies and do clean them periodically.

prs