RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive oil lovers have lower stroke risk - study

Banned

Olive oil lovers have lower stroke risk - study

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7HG05A20110616

I've been an "intensive user" for years. We cook exclusively with it.

Also note they mention help with Adult Diabetes. Something that is out of control these days.

Drop the bacon fat and use olive oil. Your Patmarlins health tip of the month...

Banned

Olive oil is great but don't tread on my bacon!
    I can't stop with less then a half pound! We eat real butter and drink real milk.

Boolit Master

We do the same 44man, but if it requires frying in oil, we use extra virgin olive oil. The flavor is really great! Try it.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

If cost is a concern, which it is...

You can still do the heavier frying with regular second pressing (inexpensive) olive oil, and then the light frying (like an egg, or meat) and dressing with virgin. Costco's got the best deals on olive oil.

We drink whole milk and eat butter too.

I buy organic milk as it tastes better, and we don't go through that much. In fact, I can taste the difference between brands that come out of central and southern california, vs. upper N. Cal and Oregon. The southern raised milk is horrible compared to northern farms. No kiddin'.

Boolit Master
    Extra virgin Olive Oil--(from really ugly trees) +1
    R.D.M.

Moderator Emeritus

Nothin' beats Hash browns fried in bacon grease
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Extra Virgin Cold Pressed olive oil is all we have used for years. I will eat some bacon from time to time, but cook it pretty crisp and remove as much grease as possible.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    We too use olive oil for most frying but have been hesitant to deep fry fish in it. Has anyone tried it for that application?

Winelover

Boolit Master
    No, but I'm interested in the fry question too. I always use peanut oil for frying for stability and flavor, but we use gallons of olive oil a year. If I'm sauteing it's the only thing I reach for is olive oil (+butter occasionally ).

You know, there was a serious experimental article a few years back where they fried ground meat with canola oil. It actually dissolved out a lot of cholesterol from the food... Something that could work with browning meat for dishes, I suppose.

wish I still had a source for fresh milk. Had one several years back, it was the best. A gallon of sweet milk or buttermilk didn't last long!

Banned

Yep- can do everything with olive oil as with any oil.

We deep fry with it as well. I don't know if it will hold up any better or worse than any other oil, just know it works.

Boolit Master

Keep in mind that the smoke point and flash point are lower with extra virgin than with the lighter olive oils, and they are all olive oil. Use the right kind for the right job. Use an olive oil with a higher flash and smoke point for frying, they will also impart less flavor to the fried foods letting the foods flavor come through better.

We also use a large quantity of olive oil, mostly extra virgin.

Boolit Master
    Works good in home made bullet lube

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Keep in mind that the smoke point and flash point are lower with extra virgin than with the lighter olive oils, and they are all olive oil. Use the right kind for the right job. Use an olive oil with a higher flash and smoke point for frying, they will also impart less flavor to the fried foods letting the foods flavor come through better.

We also use a large quantity of olive oil, mostly extra virgin.
    Ditto +1

Boolit Master

We use Extra Virgin Olive Oil . . . really like the Kalamata version, makes really good German Potato Salad!
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Moderator Emeritus

I like it as a butter subtitute on a heavy bread. It also works good on my 8" x6" bald spot.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I like it as a butter subtitute on a heavy bread. It also works good on my 8" x6" bald spot.
    ANy Youtube video? ...

Last night I made french fries with regular second press olive oil. Poured in about 1 1/2" oil, in a 6" diameter cast iron pot- one I use for popcorn.

Cut up 3/8" fry strips out of potatoes and deep fried em'. Works great. No smoke.

Boolit Bub
    Makes a good light oil for percussion revolvers.
    Used to be called "sweet oil" back in the day.
    Fry yer eggs and lube yer piece with one trip to the store.
    (O)(o)
    ---0000-(. .)-0000---

Boolit Master
    I've been using olive oil instead of the other oils for about 10 years now( Beretoli, Extra virgin) I started because of a report that Italians showed less heart diseas and cancer than all countries!!! Get from SAM's.

I read another health report about 3 or 4 years ago that said regular olive was better for frying than Virgin or Extra virgin, however I have never tried it.

Moderator Emeritus

Pat I just shine it up for photo opportunities.
    As I understand it any olive oil is fine for frying. They all give you the same benefits. The Virgin and Extra Virgin oils get you better flavor when used as dressings.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Pat
    The food the cow eats controls the taste of the milk, so could be what they are fed that gives the milk the taste difference you notice.
    I can usually tell the difference in the butter fat in the milk too
    dad was a Ag teacher so i got to do all kinds of things with milk as a kid growing up and worked on a dairy farm for 8 years and learned a lot you can do to make the milk taste better or worse
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast