Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Turret Press

Vendor Sponsor

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by casterofboolits View Post
    Has anyone upgraded thier powder measure for the Lee Classic Turret press with the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar?

If so, howdid it work?
    I had an original disk measure and bought the upgrade to the disk pro. It came with an adjustable charge bar. I put it all together and it didn't work.

Then I put it together right and it seems to work quite well. I have used 700x, Red Dot, Clays, and Bullseye in it so far.

the hopper has to go on a certain way on the pro version and I had it on backwards...duh!!!
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    The Classic Cast Turret is a 4 hole press and therefore uses a square rod and ratchet bushing. This translates to a much sturdier bushing. I bought spares due to experience with a three hose turret, but have not needed to replace the bushing in several years of use and thousands of rounds loaded.
    Thanks for that explanation, DLCTEX. That makes the newer Classic Turret a whole lot more interesting to me.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Bub
    I think I'll go w/ the classic then.Thanks
    better to have a gun and not need than need it and not have it

Banned

Question for you guys. I am going to order one of these shortly, and I am getting a list made to order. I am going to get the safety prime, and it says I need to order this bracket.http://http://www.midwayusa.com/view...tNumber=467641

Is this needed or not?

I don't want to order anything that is not needed.

In Remembrance

I think I just ordered the Safety Prime kit for the Classic Cast press and the bracket was in the kit. It's been a few years, so let's not trust my memory.
    Corrected edit: Midway does say that a bracket must be ordered from Lee for the Classic Cast Turret. I know I did not have to do that when I bought mine. I ordered the press from Midway and ordered the Priming system kit at the same time. Something must have changed, but it seems Midway should have the part in stock if needed.
    New edit: Part #TP2699 from Lee is 3.50 + 5.00 ship and hand. You have to go to the Classic cast turret Press in their catalog and click on parts. It would not upload to cart, so I clicked in Order and entered the number there finding that it had added to cart each time I tried, but doesn't display cart until click on pay out. I find their new web cat. very confusing. Searching by part # got me nothing. Why not include this small piece of plastic in the kit? Or have a kit specically for CCturret?
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 07-10-2011 at 12:15 AM.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by casterofboolits View Post
    Has anyone upgraded thier powder measure for the Lee Classic Turret press with the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar?

If so, howdid it work?
    I have several of the adjustable charge bars and they work well within their limits of powder range. It will not dispense smaller amount that say 4.2 gr. 231 and I don't remember the upper limit. I suppose you could use one or even two in conjunction with the double stack adapter, but the bottom part must always be the same size or larger than top to prevent powder hanging on a ledge and giving erratic readings. It allows tweaking a load to finer adjustment than the auto disc.

Banned

I don't know what's changed, but my Safety Prime system (I got the "master" kit with both large and small primer trays, feeders, and heads) came with both mounting brackets. My regular 4-hole turret press came with the appropriate one for it, and the Classic Turret came with the one it needed. I guess if you just bought the safety prime for one size, it might not come with any mounting brackets, but the PRESS should.

Gear

Banned

I am just going to order it just in case.

In Remembrance

I really think the primer feed bracket comes with the press.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    If you charge twice you have doubled the variables, making it twice as hard to get an accurate load.
    A case can be made for 'charging twice' being more reliable, if the variance in drops is random. If the variability IS random, then doing it twice will probably reduce the actual variance, since a light charge will probably be followed by a heavy charge, averaging to the bogey. Or close. True, it would be possible to get two heavy charges in a row, but that would be unlikely. Less variability would be the result...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onondaga View Post
    A single throw with the Auto Disk with a single disk or with double disks mounted is usually accurate to plus or minus .2 grains or less. Double throwing with a single disk will have twice the error. Get the Double Disk kit for large charges over 1.57cc volume, that is the largest cavity for the disk kit. Never drop charges when your margin of error puts you close to maximum loads

Gary
    But the error would probably be in opposite directions...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

Echo

Np, No, No, No, Please don't lead people to go that way. I do Statistical Analysis from real samples regularly and have done so professionally in scientific research, you are making an incorrect assumption and prediction with powerful propellant measurements. A +- .2 grain margin of error doubled is a +- .4 grain margin of error. There is no way of predicting whether errors will be high or low or in what order, They will be within +- .4 grains, That is all.

If you see results that favor trends from your method that does not predict the habits of another operator. The +- .2 grains that Lee suggests is from among a large group of operators, large enough to be statistically significant or they would not safely publish that prediction and lead consumers to believe it to be a conservative prediction. They could be legally liable for that statement and would not fudge it up. So they state that as a capability, not an absolute. You can certainly bump or jiggle your press and cause a much larger error than .4 grains even with a single throw.

Gary
    Last edited by onondaga; 07-12-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Year, Gary, right on. However, isn't the situation dealing with two different reservoir sizes? You know, the RCBS powder measure having a choice of using one big diameter (rifle) versus one small diameter (pistol) chamber. Then we would have to know the area of slice. They would have to be the same on each chamber for the error to be +-0.2 grains PER SLICE. That would indicate using the rifle chamber the better deal. But, the area of slice prolly is not the same. ... felix
    felix

Banned

felix

I believe the question was specifically about the Lee Auto disk and not a comparison to another measure. That is how I compiled my response. Lee doesn't specify chamber size of the disks, only a margin of error.

Gary

Boolit Master

I would think that by using a system that required 2 drops of powder from the measure could also increase the chance of operator error "did I charge it once, or twice already?" and possibly cause some cases to be charged 3x, or 1x instead of 2x. I could be wrong, but that's what I would worry about using a system where each case required 2 throws from the powder measure.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Banned

MikeS

That is a great point Mike and your point certainly supports spending the small cost for the Double Disk Kit for the Lee Auto Disk. It works well for me with .458 Win Mag charges with a single throw.

Gary

I needed some extra turrets for my Lee Classic.
    Over here, Midway will charge the equivalent of $29 for a single turret. Being a notorious cheapskate I decided to make some myself.

While I was at it I threaded one of the turrets for 1-14 dies so I can use the Lee with my 577/450 Martini Henry dies. I was a little worried if the turrets would fit, as there was no way to check them in the press until they was knocked out of the base material, but they fit to a T
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

I use the double disc kit to load my .223 using H335 and I am ALWAYS +/-.1, great asset to the loading community..
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    Beautiful work, Cap'n!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    I needed some extra turrets for my Lee Classic.
    Over here, Midway will charge the equivalent of $29 for a single turret. Being a notorious cheapskate I decided to make some myself.

While I was at it I threaded one of the turrets for 1-14 dies so I can use the Lee with my 577/450 Martini Henry dies. I was a little worried if the turrets would fit, as there was no way to check them in the press until they was knocked out of the base material, but they fit to a T
    Very Nice. I thought Turrets were only about $10

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast