Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Turret Press

Boolit Master
    Pick up a few packages of the Ziploc 32 oz. screw top storage tubs. A fully loaded turret ring will fit in one and keep them dry and the dust off. You can stack them too, and they are protected a bit if dropped. In these two I have an extra ring under them. That keeps them sitting upright. A wood disk with holes will work too. Extra dies are in the 9MM too, that's what you see tilted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ziptubs.jpg  
    Last edited by wallenba; 06-15-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master
    That would give you a good edge against rust if you placed one of those rust inhibitor chips into each container with the dies and turret.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Curio and Relic Gun Collector federal license.

Ben - the only thing I don't like is the mickey mouse priming system. Wow, scatters about
    1/5th of them on the floor. Stopped using it and run mine like a single station press, but save
    time on setup, as you stated.

Bill
    Me too Bill. I prime and charge off the press. Then from a loading block to the turret I can size, expand, seat and crimp. I had to remove the decapping pins from those dies though. No problem as I use a Lee universal decapper anyway. I have less worry about my cases being charged or missing a primer.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Moderator Emeritus

I've used the Lee CCTP since the year they came out.
    I actually like the priming system.
    I have never used a Dillon, I imagine their's is much better.
    the Lee priming system may be kind of mickey mouse,
    but has worked effectively for thousands of rounds for me,
    and no troubles.
    Jon

PS, I use the original red and round Lee plastic die holders
    for turret with dies installed storage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    When I first got my Lee classic turret , I had he77 with the priming.
    But I found it to be not that bad if the alighnment is perfict. It took a wile but I got it lined up.
    I just wish Lee would step up and have a lifetime warranty . That would make it easier to buy from them. I know they are cheeper than most, but they are made cheeper too. (not hating just saying).........
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Ben

You are right: the new Lee Turret is light years ahead of the old one given to me. I won't buy one to load rifle ammo on as I got lots of better solutions here for that, I will buy one because its a product improvement of the old turret. These Lee Turrets are just convenient as heck to use.

I talked a good friend out of buying a 550 Dillon and into one of these new Lee turrets. Why...because results are results and the Lee produces results. He does not need to spend a ton of money and be light in the wallet like me !

How does one get a C&R?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't get me wrong..........., I wouldn't for a minute have any of you think that I feel that the Lee Classic Turret is heads and shoulders above ALL other turret systems. I'm not saying that at all.

I am saying that I feel for less than $100 it is a whale of a deal on a dependable and functional turret reloading system. If Lee could come up with an improved priming system, I could say even more about a fantastic reloading machine.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    flashhole

See if this helps you get started :

http://www.jgsales.com/getcr.php?SID

Here's mine set up to load 45-70.

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Here it is on the portable reloading station I take to the range.

Here it is on the bench.

Thanks Ben.

Boolit Grand Master
    flashhole :

I like your set-up. Very nice, very orderly. I bet it is a pleasure to use.

Best,

Ben

Thanks, I spend lots of time at this bench and it is easy to keep clean and un-cluttered. The vertical uprights are the "fake wood" stuff used for outdoor decks and such. Lots of resin. Straight as an arrow and really, really heavy. The presses have all their vertical stress dumped into the legs. It is unbelievably solid for no bigger than it is. One sheet of 3/4" plywood and a few 1x3 braces. The 5/16" steel plate that straddles the legs adds lots of strength. Materials cost just under $200, including a gallon of floor and stair paint and all the hardware.

If I could choose only one press for all my reloading, it would be the Lee Classic Turret Press. Yes, I have others, but this is probably the best value for an all-around single machine for reloading. It will happily reload anything from .25 ACP all the way to .460 Weatherby Mag, though the Magnum-length rifle cartridges (i. e. longer than .30-06) will need manual indexing.

Regarding the Safety Prime system: yes, it's kinda Mickey-Mouse. However, it does work well once you get the hang of it. I used to drop primers on the floor, too, until I figured out the trick. Since then, I haven't dropped a single one.

Those of you having issues with priming, have a look at my Classic Turret Press video series over on my Web site (see the sig). I spend a fair amount of attention discussing the Safety Prime and one way to operate it reliably.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

the primer system

I wanted to chime in and say that the priming system works fine, as Cowboy T and others have said if you get it lined up right and get used to the "feel" when you push down on the plastic loader.

It is a dynamite little press and a big +1 to those comments on how good a buy it is. I bought it because of lack of satisfaction with the Pro 1000 priming system, and lack of 4 holes for a FCD.

By all means get a few of those little plastic "indexing pawl" rectangles just in case. It runs the auto-index feature. I have had one fail on me so far, after a couple years. They cost about a buck on Midway.

I have seen posts complaining about the powder measure hitting the primer feeder as it twirls around. You need a rifle charging die to raise the powder measure up. They only cost about $10. Again another great buy from Lee.

Boolit Master
    If you are having problems with the primer feed, check to see if there is any flash left over on the inside of the feeder.

Use an exacto knife and carefully trim away the flash and it will work much better. At least it did for me.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

powder measure

You may do a few things that will make the Lee Turret easier to use. You may buy from Dillon the 450 powder measure die then the adapter that will allow any of the current measures to be used with the Lee. What most people don't think about when using the RCBS measure is that the handle may be reversed to where it is at the up position and lowered to dump the charge. This allows along with the Dillon parts for the measure to clear the priming tool on each rotation. It is also much easier to use. This turns the Lee into a machine that will be very close to the Dillon in out put.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Cajun, can up post a picture of what you just described?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast