Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: ruger old army ?

Boolit Buddy

ruger old army ?

I am pretty content with 2" group at 20 yards off hand my load 35 Gr.triple 777 wad and ball.
    I like to ask any one ever leave there gun over night and clean it the next day using triple 777 powders.I some time feel the biggest problem after shooting a few rifle and pistol cleaning them is a must at the end of the day .
    The ruger takes the MOST time.
    has any one left triple 777 in there OLD Army and cleaned them the next day without finding any rust or pitts in the bore?

Boolit Master
    I do not know about 777 but I shoot black powder a lot and occationally have left a gun a day or two without cleaning it with no adverse affect. If you live in an area of high humidity though you might want to spray it down with WD 40 as that displaces moisture which is what causes rust. However, I attend a lot of black powder shoots that go on for two to four days and I never clean my guns till the smoke clears.

Boolit Buddy

I have shot mine quite a bit with 777. You can easily go several days without cleaning the residue. It is so light, a kind of brown stain, it wipes right off. I kept going longer and longer without cleaning, until I got careless, after a month or more, and started seeing some light rust that seemed to form overnight. I still wouldn't hesitate to let it go a day or three without cleaning, but possibly humid conditions can aggravate and speed up the rust.

Boolit Master

If you have the SS model you can stick it in the dishwasher when the wife is not home.

Boolit Master
    You can do the same with a blued one too just take the grips off and let her go. Generally the hot dry cycle evaporates all the water then I oil the gun and I am done. My wife does not mind me putting my pistol in with the dishes.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a SS version and just spritz it down with Windex with Vinegar. make cleaning a snap when you get home.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I've taken to removing the grips and drop the whole thing (with cylinder and rammer removed) in the bathroom sink. Then scrub with a toothbrush all over and a test tube brush in the chambers, run a patch through the bore, towel dry, and bake in the toaster oven at 215 deg. until dry. (Now that is it summer I just set it in the sun) Spray with WD-40 to make sure no water is inside, Ballistol on the outside and in the bore to keep down any rust, and reassemble. Easier than the smokeless guns!