RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corbin CHP-1 Hydro Press?

Boolit Master

Corbin CHP-1 Hydro Press?

Does anyone really have money for one of these? Does anyone have one? How well does it work? Wow!
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 06-13-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

They are designed for small scale commercial sales. I thought about trying to build one but the guy I know that had the knowledge of hydraulics and some of the parts moved out of town.
    A log splitter would work for most of the parts.

Boolit Man
    I have a friend with 3 of them and he was in the business of niche market swagging. I have benefitted because he is sharing his knowledge with me. He has given me lots of extruded lead for various sizes of cores. I am sure irf you wanted to do any volume of swagging the cost would be worth while.

frank

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    Does anyone really have money for one of these? Does anyone have one? How well does it work? Wow!
    Utah:

I have one. And they truly are the ultimate swaging machine. Not just for swaging bullets, I've made dies to fit my press for forming and blanking (stamping) small parts as well.

It's strong enough to form the ogive on solid copper projectiles. As a matter of fact, with maximum pressure, you can exert 420,000 lbs on a .224 diameter punch!

You need some serious tooling for pressures like that, and not dies made from 1018 CRS, if you know what I mean.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    Wink wink eh?

Yeah I was kinda curious. Seems like a pretty penny for the setup. Just curious of how many were that far into the process.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy
    Mine arrives tomorrow if the freight man shows up on time
    I brought a used one - paid 1/2 list price and came with 3 sets of dies.

Not cheap but quicker, more consistant and less effort

Will post pics and maybe a vid on Youtube when setup - doesnt seem to be any Hydro vids there?

Boolit Master
    1/2 price eh? Sounds good to me. Please post a video or at least make one and send it to me. None that I have seen anyway.

​Mentor

I want to eventually get the CHP1 press.. but, gotta wait until I have an extra 10,000 so I can buy a complete setup so I can make all the jackets I need as well as all the calibers I shoot.
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Cool. I cannot wait to see it making some projectiles or lead wire or something. Looks like fun to me.

​Mentor

I have a CHP-1 but it is not a hydro. I have a set of .458 dies for it but the price for dies to fit now tell me I won't be getting more die sets for it. Another option would be die sets for a reloading press. I have a bushing from the 1 1/2" to 7/8 x 14 on the top but I would also need to bush the
    1" ram. In addition Larry Blackmon would probably make die sets for my Mighty Mite. Does anyone else make die sets to fit that?
    Last edited by michiganvet; 07-04-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: grammer

Would not be hard to modify Aneat's design to work with hydraulics and you can probably get that stuff for cheap off of Ebay...

Boolit Master
    That's quite a press. What does the middle lever on the side do? I presume the ones at the top and bottom set the length of the stroke.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats the load position indicator.
    In auto mode it comes down ejects the moves up and stopsready for next piece to be inserted

Quote Originally Posted by kombayotch View Post
    Would not be hard to modify Aneat's design to work with hydraulics and you can probably get that stuff for cheap off of Ebay...
    If it was only that easy, but I don't think so, with all that's needed. The CHP-1 Hydro Press is pretty complex, hydraulically. You need something other than just pushing a ram back and forth.

The CHP-1 Hydro works in many modes, via a few methods. Those being, proximity (switches), pressure (hydraulically, adjustable) and dwell (variable). So depending on what your doing, you choose the method that works best.

The press is also capable at running in a full cycle mode, meaning as fast as you can take out the swaged bullet and drop another one in, it keeps cycling until stopped. Just keep your finger out of the way.

RRR

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

You'd be surprised what you can do with an old PC (one that has a parallel port), a relatively simple breadboard and a few sensors when it comes to controlling things. Those inductive proximity sensors can be had for $6. I know they're from China at that price, but they work fine. CNC's my mill using them as the limit switches and they are very repeatable.

Exclamation Circuit Board Hydro Press

Quote Originally Posted by kombayotch View Post
    You'd be surprised what you can do with an old PC (one that has a parallel port), a relatively simple breadboard and a few sensors when it comes to controlling things. Those inductive proximity sensors can be had for $6. I know they're from China at that price, but they work fine. CNC's my mill using them as the limit switches and they are very repeatable.
    Well, when you get your Hydro press made from a circuit board................please post some pics, we'd be intrested.

I'm fully aware of CNC equipment...............I have my own and I've been running them for over 20 years.

One question: How's a circuit board going to deliver fluid power?

RRR

My Feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    One question: How's a circuit board going to deliver fluid power?
    RRR
    Really, you're going to roll your eyes and then ask something like that?

The circuit board can control solenoids that open and close valves, it can also control the pump that moves the fluid in and out of the hydraulic piston. Magical isn't it?
    Last edited by kombayotch; 07-13-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Here's a example of a computer controlled piston:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf-rZkf9LYE

"hydro press made from a circuit board" <- Wow! That's rich!

Boolit Buddy
    Rick:

You must be running a Fanuc 6M. Go into parameters, and set your Jerk Magnet to "off", and this problem may go away.

Does not always work, but it is worth a try.

B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast