Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: What sizer die for 41 Mag?

Boolit Mold

What sizer die for 41 Mag?

Got a 41 Mag Ruger Blackhawk NM on the way. Already have an RCBS mold on hand. Looking at cast boolits for sale online, I see them ranging from .410 to .412. Aside from slugging the bore, what sizer die to use for my Ruger.

Thanks

Vic

Boolit Master
    I had a Ruger Blackhawk in that caliber--I used a .410" sizer die. I now have a S & W model 57...the .410" sizer works well for it.

Boolit Mold
    thanks!!!

Boolit Master
    I don't believe that RCBS nor Lyman offers a .411 or a .412" sizer die...but you can easily open up a .410" if you have to...using a slotted wooden dowel, sandpaper, & a drill... But it is very unlikely you'd ever have to do so.

Banned

Question

This is something that needs an explanation, everyone, so to speak says size .308 @ .309 plus, .357 @ .358 plus, 44/.429 mag @ .430.

So what makes the .41 mag the exception to the rule.

Boolit Master
    Jerry, This caliber seems to be a bit tighter than the others mentioned... The .41 Mag pistols that I've tried all have cylinder chambers/groove diameters of less than .410". In the .38, .44, & .45 Calibers theier is far more variation. Ditto with the 9mm Luger.

Boolit Master
    I size 410 for my Blackhawk and my Marlin rifle.
    So far all has been great when shooting 215 grain cast.Can't wait for the cramer mold to get done.

Check the cyl throats. Ruger has a hbabit of making htem smaller than groove dia. You want to match groove dia + 0.001". So if the cyl throats are tight, like 0.409", then you would want to open them up closer to 0.411".

Boolit Grand Master

My Old Model Ruger BH and my new SBH Hunter in 41 both have .410" throats. I sold boolits for awhile and all the 41s I checked were .410"

Can't explain why the manufacturers can control dimensions on this caliber and do such a poor job on others.

Boolit Buddy

What size indeed ??

I supply two guys who shoot 41 Mag. One guy uses a S&W / Marlin (I think) combination , the other guy uses a Ruger single action and an import lever gun. I size .410 for all these guns with ZERO problems, zero complaints. . Boolit is an H&G # 256 BB. Yes... bevel base, sized .410, and lubed with Rooster Zambini.

Boolit Master
    I used .411 for my S&W Mod. 58, 57 and for a Buddie's Ruger. In fact my buddy opened the .410 die out to .411 with a die grinder on a lathe.

I also used the .411 die for 41AE.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Buddy
    I have relatively new 41 Mag BH and .410 sizer is just right. The cylinders
    are ~.4095 and grove is .409.

As and aside this caliber is now my favorite.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperDoc View Post
    Got a 41 Mag Ruger Blackhawk NM on the way. Already have an RCBS mold on hand. Looking at cast boolits for sale online, I see them ranging from .410 to .412. Aside from slugging the bore, what sizer die to use for my Ruger.

Thanks

Vic
    But with all due respect to the other responses, why the reluctance to slug the bore and throats?

prs

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    But with all due respect to the other responses, why the reluctance to slug the bore and throats? prs
    No kiddin.

There is only one answer to the original question. Slug each throat and then slug the bore to be assured the groove diameter is at or smaller than throat diameter.

Should be, could be, might be just might work but then . . . maybe not. For my money I would much rather know why it did . . . or did not work.

Easier to make it right the first go round than to lead it up and/or wonder why it don't shoot.

All it takes to do it right is soft slugs, a decent micrometer (not calipers) and very little time.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member