Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T/C Seneca .36 cal. Rifle

T/C Seneca .36 cal. Rifle

Did they make many of these, I can't find one for sale anywhere. I would like to know the ball-park price for this. It's in real good condition with a 4 digit serial no. I believe it was made in the early 70's.
    Last edited by Wildwood-Lake; 07-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Seneca 36.
    it was originally a 45 that I got cheap cause the barrel was rusted.
    I ordered a new 36 cal barrel with a false muzzle from the TC Fox Ridge custom shop.

The 36 is Rare.
    the few of us that have them, really like them and don't want to sell them.
    the few I've seen for sale have been over $300.
    I'd need to see the patch run through the bore before I'd pay any more than $200.
    if the bore is pristine, it should go for about $400.
    is the wood stock plain ? or is there some figure to the grain ?
    I can't see much of the stock from your photos,
    from what I can see, it appears kind of plain.
    But, if it has some nice figure, add $100
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Go to Gunbroker.com
    Search: t/c Seneca
    right now this will return 0 results.
    under the "search" button click on advance search.
    where it says "show only" click the arrow where it says "current" and pick "ended in last 90 days"
    Shows 13, 36 cal. sold with bids between $300.00 and $450.00
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    The best way to check for rust is to just clean the bore with any black powder cleaning solution and if it has any rust it will show up on the patch. As for rust pitting and the rifle being a 36 cal. it's probably going to be hard to find a bore lite that will drop down the barrel. I think the smallist I have seen would drop into a 45 cal. but I'm sure it was to large for a 36.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood-Lake View Post
    The bore does look like it has rust and wood needs cleaned. But I wouldn't say it's plain.
    I removed the barrel and there is a small screw on the side of the breech what is that for, can you remove the breech from the barrel. How do you look to see the inside the barrel.
    I am unsure about the Screw you mention. The breechplug is removable...I think, I've never done that, never need to. I don't know how you can "look" down the barrel. The patch will tell the story as "45-70 Chevroner" mentions. If you're not set up for BP supplies, Hopefully you have a 36 cal. jag (it should fit the bore snugly with a patch) to fit on the ram rod or any rifle cleaning rod, coat a patch with Crisco or even just cooking oil and run it through the bore a few times, if it goes in and out smoothly and the patch is fairly clean or even just a little pinkish rusty, that is OK, but if the bore is badly rust pitted, you'll know it, you'll probably get the jag/patch stuck in it.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    The best way to check for rust is to just clean the bore with any black powder cleaning solution and if it has any rust it will show up on the patch. As for rust pitting and the rifle being a 36 cal. it's probably going to be hard to find a bore lite that will drop down the barrel. I think the smallist I have seen would drop into a 45 cal. but I'm sure it was to large for a 36.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

As you have a patch remover push a white iece of cloth down the bore and leave it at the breech and then use the bore light to look down the bore. You cna then use the patch remover to remove it. Also if a tight patch can be run down the bore and out again smoothly it likely is not pitted. You will also see rust on a white patch. TC Senecas are prized today.

DP

Boolit Master

36 Senecas are cute little buggers!
    The small screw in the side of the bolster is a "clean out" that connects to the flash channel between the nipple and the breech/bore. Some type of MLs have them and some don't. One of those "good idea" features that in practice I never use even though a couple of my MLs have them. There are drop in bore lights that will fit into a 36 cal but you have to search around to find them. That is the best way to have a look-see at the bore. Taking the plug/bolster off of the barrel is done only as a last resort- as when fitting a new barrel to the plug. Taking it off will screw up the dressed mating surfaces. A good tight patch with solvent over the right sized jag all attached to a GOOD cleaning rod is the way to check for rust in the bore. Even if you can't see it on the patch after running thru you can sure enough feel any roughness. Sans a small diameter drop in bore light, you can put something reflective like a white piece of paper or patch in the breech (bottom) and shine a small bright light into the bore to at least get a partial look at the bore surface- as others have suggested. If the bore is very rough at all it will detract from the value a lot for me... for others- not so much. Personal tastes I guess but life is too short to fight with rough/pitted bores in "modern" guns.

Perma-Banned
    forget the exact name of it but i got a light at o'reilly's auto parts that will fit in a .243 barrel. it's a slim pencil light about 4 or 5in long and has a pocket clip. was up near the register in my local store. be careful when ya look down the bore with one though. that sucker's bright!

Boolit Master
    i was recently on a hunt for a .36 muzzleloader. i saw a few senecas. the highest priced one was $800, it was unfired with a curly maple stock.

the lowest priced one was $300 and was a "smooth bore" the rifling was so bad.

if there is no pitting from the rust you should be able to get $400 for it.

Banned

I wouldn't remove the breech plug enless nessecary. It is not nessecary to remove the breech plug to clean or see rifling.

Andy

Moderator Emeritus

PM sent
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    there isnt really much demand for them, thats why the supply is so low. if you are willing to wait for the price im sure you could, eventually. but its just gonna rust more as time goes buy. if somebody wants it or a .36 they wont buy it. the guy that bought the "smooth bore" was going to ream it to .40.

With a really good cleaning, it should be ok. There might not be any pitting in it. For the right price somebody would be very happy with it. Didn't T/C make a .32 rifle once too?
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Man

Wildwood - PM sent. G

Boolit Master

PM sent earlier. I'll take it pending findings at the gun shop per our earlier discussion. Thanks.

Boolit Master

This is to bring this thread up to date. Don and I got together through PMs. Long story short I ended up buying the .36 Seneca from Don. I received it today. It is a wonderful and dare I say it is a cute little bugger as 405 said in his post. I told Don I will take care of it and give it a good home. I need a new nipple prior to giving it its first shooting session. I have posted under the straight shooter section what I think of my dealings with Wildwood-Lake. He is a straight shooter deluxe. Thanks Don.

Boolit Master

I received my new nipple from TC today. Couldn't wait to shoot the .36 Seneca. I cast up some .36 maxi-balls and had some .35 RB. I used 30 Gr. of Goex FFFg. I only had time to fire three rounds to check for function. The two PRBs loaded with about the right amount of pressure with the striped pillow ticking from Wally World and shot about 6" high at 50 yards at the current rear sight setting. The maxi shot the same. I can see why everyone that has one of the sleek and trim little .36 Senecas are taken by them. It was a joy to shoot. It will be a few days before I get another session with her, but I'm looking forward to it already.

Boolit Master

I have a .32 Cherokee that is similar to the Seneca. Got it as a kit back in the 80's. Back when I had better eyes, I killed alot of squirrels with it. With my new glasses I can see the sights again-may have to dust it off. T-Bird

Boolit Master

I am with you on these old eyes. Things aren't what they used to be are they? T-Bird that little .32 sounds like a good-un. I have a TC Fire Hawk in .32 that I have used to take a few squirrels.Like the .36 it is a joy to shoot. As you may know the Fire Hawk is an in-line. I like it but it is much harder for me to clean than the hooked breech type of muzzleloaders (cap or flintlock variety). I think I would really like the .32 Cherokee. One thing about these small caliber front stuffers they are easy on powder. I used 30 gr. in my .36. I can't get it to center up at 50 yards. It wants to shoot high, so I am thinking of next session trying both 35 and 40 gr to see what that does to my point of impact. I would like to find a maxi ball mould for my .32. Do you know of one? I have had good luck with patched round ball but I just would like to give the maxi a try.

Boolit Master

My cherokee shot well with 30gr pyrodex p. When I got that gun, T/C listed a 32 Maxiball. I never tried one, I viewed it too much for squirrel. Maybe find a mold? Yeah, for alot of years, my trifocals would not allow me to see sights and target at the same time so I went to scopes on everything. Now I guess my eyes are bad enough that my glasses are strong enough that I can see irons again- go figure!.T-Bird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast