RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So you can't afford one ?

Re: So you can't afford one ?

Ok here are some more. They came out a little better this time. But after about five cutting out they started having the lube starting to show up on the tops and sides again. I out a pic of the little metal table I made. Or atleast the best I could get while it was in use.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not certain what to tell you unless your lube is a little bit soft and it is smearing.

That's what I was starting to wonder if I should let it set up a little longer. When I tried ti pop them out the bottom it came out in a clump.

Update ben I let it set longer and it turned a little better. I am going to clean the cutter and see what it does then. Rhanks for the help.
    Last edited by trying2learn; 12-14-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, sounds better.

Sounds like you're making improvements.

Ben

I guess the best way to ask my question is. Is the lube suppose to be set to the point it almost makes a snap instead of being bemt back and forth to break apart before I start removing. That's what I was doing it at was when I had to bemd it back amd forth to break it apart. If I let it set up say over night it is more snappy vomong apart.

Hi, Ben.

After reading this thread I am ordering a couple of Lee Bullet Sizing Dies and start pan lubing some bullets using your cookie cutter method instead starting off buying all the lubrisizer equipment. I like the idea of getting started before I make a further investment.

Thanks for sharing this and thanks for responding to my new caster thread.

So you can't afford one ?

I have been researching the best method for this as well, and this just feels right. Thanks to all for excellent ideas.
    Respectfully- Randy

There was a question asked in post #74....."How did you open up the Lee sizing die?"...that was never answered.I'd appreciate a few of the expert's ideas for this operation.Great sticky by the way.

Boolit Bub
    I asked the question in #74. I have since made a crimping die for the .43 Mauser out of a .338 Win. Mag. crimping die by opening it up with a red grinding stone that came with my Dremel kit. Grind and fit was the procedure I used. The die works very well.
    Peter

I am truly overwhelmed with the amount of great information I'm reading in these forums. I'm still torn between pan-lubing vs. tumble lubing with Lee's liquid alox. Right now, as it stands I will only be reloading cast boolits for my handguns. May do rifle later on down the road.
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Boolit Man
    Nice post.Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    There was a question asked in post #74....."How did you open up the Lee sizing die?"...that was never answered.I'd appreciate a few of the expert's ideas for this operation.Great sticky by the way.
    Sorry to be so late in offering you an answer !

I take a wooden dowel slightly smaller in dia than the die.

In this case, it was a .309 dia. die. I used .320 sand paper and slit the end of the dowel for a 3/4 " wide strip of the paper. A bit of trial and error fitting of the paper length will allow a snug fit up in the die.

Chuck the dowel rod in a variable speed drill and spin the sand paper VERY SLOWLY inside the die, moving it back and forth.

Check the die OFTEN ( by pushing a cast bullet of larger dia. than the die opening through the die and mike it ( do not use calipers as they aren't accurate enough for work like this ) to see how much progress you are making ) as it is easy to remove too much metal.

Once you've removed too much metal, you're in trouble as you can't put it back into the die !

SO......GO SLOW ! !

On mine when I had removed enough metal that the die was sizing .3097", I removed the .320 paper and changed over to 600 paper. I spun the 600 paper inside the die until I had a slick and polished interior to the die that was mirror smooth and sized a bullet .310" , dead nuts on !
    Last edited by Ben; 09-23-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Boolit Mold
    instead of going through all the trouble of making the kake-cutter, why not just off the base of the 30-06 case and let the bullet enter the case. Then push in another bullet and another and another until they start to pop up out of the cut off end of the case. The last one you can push up in the case with a flat head nail then just flip out. Or you could push out each bullet individually. I like this method and it a good way of saving a ton of money.

This is actually pretty awesome since im gonna be stuck pan lubing for awhile. Glad i opened this!!

Boolit Mold
    Great tutorial Ben. I'm just getting started with casting my own boolits and the sizing/lubing has been an area where things have been a bit fuzzy in my mind. The photos and tips help ALOT.

Boolit Bub
    I like your boolits mine using the cut off shell didn't work as good as just pushing them but it was probably my shell as I didn't use the right shell lol couldn't part with brass from 1954.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Ben. Gread pictorial.
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchman5 View Post
    Great tutorial Ben. I'm just getting started with casting my own boolits and the sizing/lubing has been an area where things have been a bit fuzzy in my mind. The photos and tips help ALOT.
    If you're like me.....If I can see it, it really helps vs. just reading it.

Many thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Bub
    I cast a lot of Min'e boolits and use the same method to lube them. I don't use a cake cutter. I let the lube cool and solidify and turn the container with the lubed boolits over in my hand and tap - pry out the cake of lubed boolits. I'll turn the cake of boolits right side up (point up) and press on the bullet point with my thumb. Nomally the boolit will just pop out of the block of hardened boolit lube ready to size. I use this method with rifle and pistol boolits.

It works for me!!

nice i like it i tryed to use my wifes cake pan to lube head still hurts from frying pan

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast