Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So you can't afford one ?

Boolit Buddy

so you can't afford it

A cut off section of a steel golf shaft can be used as a cake cutter also.
    Cost is minimal,damaged shafts are usually thrown out especially near end of season.
    Check at golf courses,driving ranges,even miniature golf courses,and of course fellow golfers.
    Since the shafts are tapered on the outside and inside one shaft could supply many caliber cutters.

Boolit Master

keep up the good job of teaching your tricks to the rest of us that's why we are reading this forum,learn a little every day
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 09-19-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Boolit Master

great job Ben guess I can go ahead and get started with out a lube sizer

Boolit Grand Master
    There are people on this forum that know 100 X what I know.

However, I'm more than happy to pass along anything
    that would be a help to you guys.

Thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Master

great job good show I'm sure these will help others young & Older get started or restarted Casting Casting is a lot like handloading take your time and start with small runs you'll find what works best for youI look at accuracy over mass production myself,if you run into problems take a step back and ASK there is a lot of knowledge right here on this forum! thanks to guys like Ben& others that would be happy to answer your questions if I can be any help just shoot me a PM

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Outstanding, Ben, just outstanding.

Why hasn't someone made this a sticky already!?? I know we have a VS that makes a similar tool in many calibers, but someone might want to try the cheap route and see if they like it before shelling out the bucks for a professionally made one.

Gear
    nothing cheap except the price tag on these tools
    Ben's tools are professionally made I own a couple now

Boolit Master
    Thank you. Saves me some mony and space on my bench and helps me enter the hobby.

Wink Lube Cutter

Ben,
    The venerable -06 case....I've made cutters for .30, 357 and now .458. Just depends on where you cut it off. Then I bevel the edges with a file. I've always pushed them straight through, which gets tougher as the lube cools. It also leaves lube on the front surfsce of the boolits. I'm going to build one of your "Top Punch" cutters. Thanks for the idea.
    Jack...

Boolit Grand Master
    Jack,

All this is FREE, all you have to do is take the ball and run with it.

Good Shooting,

Ben

Boolit Bub
    Ben- Awesome presentation! I really enjoy reading your posts (although this is only my 3rd now), I like the pictures with the explanations b/c greenhorns like myself really have no clue what things are supposed to look like during the different steps. I am getting into casting and have yet to get the necessary supplies and thought maybe you could give me some suggestions on equipment. Im looking at the 20# Lee Pro 4 Melting Pot. I know that I will need some sort of muffin tin or mold for the lead and a separate pot for smelting. I have the 30 cal bullet mold I want to use. However, after much reading of your posts about bullet lube etc, Im a little out of sorts with that. What bullet lube should I get? and can you think of any other items I would need.

thanks and keep up the lessons for us newbies

Andy
    1Peter 2:11

Boolit Grand Master
    Andy,

I'm a visual learner ( and have been all my life ). You can talk about rebuilding a carburetor all you want and it most likely won't have much of an impact on me.

You let me see all the steps in it's entirety and I just may have a shot at doing it right. This is probably why I use so many illustrations in my communications. THANKS for those nice comments.

Your best bet on lube for pan lubing is Lar's . He is very reasonable in his prices and makes some fine lube.

Lar's 50 - 50 Beeswax lube would probably work best for your pan lubing .

Here is a link to Lar's Lube :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56454

I have not had much luck with bottom pour ( although many here on the forum swear by it ! ). I use a dipper for ALL my casting.

What calibers will you be loading ? Do you have any equipment currently or will you be buying most of it ?

Yes, you'll definitely need to do your smelting in a separate pot.
    You should be able to find some cast iron muffin pans at the Thrift store.
    If you know anyone that is a welder. Nice ingot molds can be made out of angle iron.
    Last edited by Ben; 10-02-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Ben- I am currently looking to cast for my 300WSM and 30.06 (30 cal), .223, .22 for the rifles and then I will eventually be casting for my 9mm and maybe 45 if I can get my hands on one. After all of that I may delve into 50cal muzzleloader but most likely not. I dont shoot it hardly at all.

I have no equipment need for casting except access to a 9mm and 30 cal bullet mold from friends. I have all of the necessary equip for reloading my 300 for the exception of powders and primers ( just ordered blammers g/c's the other day).

The main reason why I like the drop pour is that fact that i can do more than just one at a time. Plus Im not sure how much of a mess I would make with dipper.

But, I am not totally sold on the bottom pour, what other alternatives that you trust would you recommend???

Boolit Grand Master
    As to making a mess, I always had a much larger mess with the bottom pour and dripping , etc. than could have ever been possible with a dipper .

Have you ever cast with a friend and used both methods.

Would be nice if you could use a bottom pour to make about a 100 bullets, then use the dipper method for about 100. By doing this, your money would be spent on something that is already proven with you ? ?

Ben

I went the dipper route first then migrated to a Lee Pro 4-20 bottom pour pot. No comparison in my mind the bottom pour pot is so much easier.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Bub
    I have used a friends bottom pour. Ithink my friend is coming in this weekend so ill try dipper. I thought the bottom pour was a littletricky at first to get the timing down. but once u get that down it seems like smooth sailing. thanks for input guys. ill let you know how it goes.

Boolit Grand Master
    By the way, I've seen a few molds that didn't like bottom pour , but would produce a good bullet with a dipper.

Most likely there are situations where the reverse is also true ? ?

Ben

Boolit Bub
    Yes tis true. Food for thought, love it.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia
    Ben, the lee instructions say to avoid dipper pour because the aluminum gets hot spotted. I would be interested to know if anyone has tried this/results.

Just curious, when you say dipper pour can I assume you mean a Rowell ladle?

Boolit Grand Master
    Christorbust

I use a Lyman dipper that looks like this , it has worked with every mold I've ever tried it with, and believe me, that's a lot of molds ! !

As to a " hot spot ", I'm not exactly clear on what they mean by that ? ?

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia
    That looks slightly different, but similar to a rowell. They probably both keep crud out.

I think it means that it super heats the aluminum in one spot, and it can warp.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast