RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of lead

Boolit Master

Cost of lead

I was looking at the graph for lead prices and thought is was getting kind of high. Then I thought...... What would I sell my lead for........ hmmmm, now things change. I really wouldn't sell any of my lead for anything. Strange how that works ain't it.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

keep it all , he he i have 2,000plus pounds not counting lino, or tin, or solder i have more than i need but it is hard to let go ..

Boolit Buddy
    I decided last night that I had more than enough for the amount I shoot. I have a lot of soft lead from jacketed bullets and I am going to sell it to the local scrap dealer. Only 80 cents / lb, but it only cost me my time and propane. I also need powder and primers and more reloading dies and would rather have my hobby pay for itself.
    I only started collecting a month and a bit ago, and have over 100 lbs in scrap and ingots. In that time I have 1000 rounds cast for 9mm and 750 for my rifle. I am going out today to get more at the range, as the berm is full and the bullets can be picked right off the surface.
    I think buying lead while it is high is a a risky investment.
    Remember? Buy low, sell high.

Boolit Master

Keep it all!

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

My goal is 1,000 pounds of wheel weight alloy. I'm just over halfway there. Then I'll stop?

I did sell some nice range lead, though for the cash for powder, primers, etc. So, I guess I'm guilty!

Buy low, sell high.
    How about: Get it FREE, Keep it!
    Last edited by Defcon-One; 06-11-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Don't sell it to the local scrap dealer, offer it up for sale here. There are many members here that have a difficult time finding lead at reasonable prices. I'd suggest finding out what your local scrap dealer would pay and then base your offering on that. Scrap dealers generally low-ball their prices, generally selling it for 5 or 6 times as much as they pay for it. If you were to offer it for sale here for anywhere in between the two prices, you would likely have no problem selling all you care to part with.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would love to have a ton on hand. I will never stop trying to get more. If you have what you think is enough, at least double it. Never can tell, can we?

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately, Canada Post does not offer flat rate like the USPS does. I would not be competitive, as the package would be shipped IAW Canada Post rates. There are some casters locally, but if I was to sell locally, I would be best off to cast large sinkers for the ocean sport fishery. I was told the 10 lb weights were selling for around $50 at the local fishing store.

I would keep it, but then again I have a tendency to hoard fishing, hunting, and gun related products....you just never can have too much. Just look back a couple years at the ammo and component availability crisis....I don't ever want to have that problem again.

Boolit Man

Only 80 cents / lb, but it only cost me my time and propane.
    I was told the 10 lb weights were selling for around $50 at the local fishing store.
    I would be looking for a sinker mould rather fast, $0.80/lb vs $5/lb is a no brainer. You could lowball the going rate and sell for $4.50/lb. and make a nice profit.

Old War Horse
    I'd consider buying it at that price... If you'll pay the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by grullaguy View Post
    I decided last night that I had more than enough for the amount I shoot. I have a lot of soft lead from jacketed bullets and I am going to sell it to the local scrap dealer. Only 80 cents / lb, but it only cost me my time and propane. I also need powder and primers and more reloading dies and would rather have my hobby pay for itself.
    I only started collecting a month and a bit ago, and have over 100 lbs in scrap and ingots. In that time I have 1000 rounds cast for 9mm and 750 for my rifle. I am going out today to get more at the range, as the berm is full and the bullets can be picked right off the surface.
    I think buying lead while it is high is a a risky investment.
    Remember? Buy low, sell high.
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Jim I could ship 50 lbs to you for 80 cents a pound. But I don't think I will.
    A 50 lb parcel to Pennsylvania would cost me 105.98.
    Bit of a deal breaker, huh?

Boolit Buddy
    jpatm,

I checked the local hardware store. They have a 10 lb sinker there that is shaped like a fish. It is rubber coated and the price tag said 54.99.

A mould to cast that bad boy is $80.00. Then I have to find someplace to sell it. I don't fish and don't know anyone who does. I would have to get a bigger pot,.. and stove ..etc.

Yep, it is a no brainer. Take the easy route and sell the lead to local scrap dealer.
    By the way, if I drove two hours, I could get 10 cents more a pound. Not worth it for the little, I have to sell.

I ended up flogging 500 lbs. of ww and range scrap to fund a new .22, and a 12 pounder of SR4756. I've got enough lead to part with that much, though it hurts.Buddy should be along tomorrow to pick it up. I'll try not to shed a tear as we load it though. Would not sell it for any other reason than to recycle the funds into other stuff for the hobby, or in case of emergency.
    Member CSSA, NFA
    Who is John Galt?

If you shoot cast lead any decent amount, then keeping it makes the only sense. I would not feel good w/ much less than 800# or so on hand at any time. That is only 26000+ bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    If you shoot cast lead any decent amount, then keeping it makes the only sense. I would not feel good w/ much less than 800# or so on hand at any time. That is only 26000+ bullets.
    I am having a good week if I get to shoot 50 rounds. 26000 sounds like a huge amount of bullets to me. I guess that is why I have no fear of running out of lead. Every time I shoot 4 ounces of lead, I end up picking up 4 pounds behind the targets. Our range is regularly signed out to different police forces, otherwise it would hardly be used. With my 1 or 2 visits a week, I am their best civilian customer.

My goal is to shoot out my prohibited S&W 439 before it is confiscated, which means that I am going to have to pick up the pace. Yup owning a handgun in Canada sucks.

Old War Horse
    Exactly, sir. Let's see, you'd get $40 from me, and you'd spend $106 in postage.

Nope, can't say I blame you.

Our advice is hang onto it.

Someone will come along to take it off your hands, if you're patient.

Jim I could ship 50 lbs to you for 80 cents a pound. But I don't think I will.
    A 50 lb parcel to Pennsylvania would cost me 105.98.
    Bit of a deal breaker, huh?

Sent from my Droid
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Lead is good do not like to sell it, but I have had to as I like to eat and feel good more than I like to shoot. Glad I had a source to get me over a very rough spot without going on the dole. As far as enough to last a life time at my age it could be as little as a # or as much as several tons who knows.
    Frank G.

Longwood
    I was told the 10 lb weights were selling for around $50 at the local fishing store.
    Sounds like a good way to get rid of the zinc wheel weights I get in every bucket now.

Boolit Buddy
    Went to the scrap dealer this morning with my bucket of ingots. As we were piling them on the scale the guy mentioned they were paying 30 cents a pound.
    I put the ingots right back in the pail and thanked him for his time and left. On the phone I was sure he said 80 cents.
    Hope I don't need a hearing aid.

Boolit Master
    Fairbanks Alaska, C&R pipe and steel
    buying - @ $.11
    selling - @ $1.00
    as of two weeks ago.