Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Lee 4 20

Boolit Mold

Lee 4 20

I just got one this week and plugged it in tonight. After using the Pro pot IV for the last several years I wish I hadn't waited so long, better yet I wish I would have gotten the 4 20 in the first place

I love it! Its cavernous, holds what seems to me an enormous amount of lead, an dI can actually use my lyman ladle with it

Boolit Grand Master
    I had been casting for a number of years with a Coleman stove and a one quart cast iron sauce pan when I finally bought my 4-20. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to cast without all the excess heat around the pot.

I also tend to ladle more than bottom pour, one of the main reasons I went with the 4-20.

A funny thing happened two weeks after I bought the new 4-20. I was in a pawn shop and found a Production pot IV for ten dollars. I use it for specialty mixes, such as 50/50 WW/pure.

Robert

Those Pro 4-20's are great. I have one, and for the money, it really can't be beat. Together with a 6-cavity mould, that pot lets me cast boolits at a torrid pace.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

It's worked very well for me as well. Only issue I had was maintaining an accurate temperature. But, add a PID controller to it and it takes care of temperature for you. I can now cast with two six cavity molds going and drop the sprue directly back into the pot without any issues.

brimic - hope you don't mind me asking a question on your thread.

I just took delivery of a Pro 4-20 pot. I will fire it up this weekend and attempt to cast some 40 cal bullets. Is there any trick to adjusting the "up/down" motion of the valve controller rod? I haven't put lead in it yet but there was no up/down movement in the valve mechanism when I took it out of the box. I fiddled with it a bit and now it will move up/down about 3/16". Is that enough? Too much?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    brimic - hope you don't mind me asking a question on your thread.

I just took delivery of a Pro 4-20 pot. I will fire it up this weekend and attempt to cast some 40 cal bullets. Is there any trick to adjusting the "up/down" motion of the valve controller rod? I haven't put lead in it yet but there was no up/down movement in the valve mechanism when I took it out of the box. I fiddled with it a bit and now it will move up/down about 3/16". Is that enough? Too much?
    How much the valve opens will be decided by the bullet you are casting and the pace you want to set. Only you will know how much it needs to be open after some trial and error.

Boolit Master

first take a little sand and put in the pot, and there is about 1/4 in of the rod that sticks up take a battery drill and spin the rod lifting up and down . that will "seat " it straight then get a large steel washer that will slide over the wood lift handle. that will add some weight so when pot is full the pin dont 'float'

I like the weight idea.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.