WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper way to clean a 94 Winchester?

My "Family" 94 is about 52 years old now. I remember when my Dad bought it for $69.95. I was only 12, but was really into guns, and was pretty pleased that he had made such a good choice. I used to clean that gun every time I had the chance. We didn't know what a bore guide was, and I cleaned it from the muzzle, but I must have been pretty careful since it is still a great shooting gun. I still clean from the muzzle with the gun upside down, but I do use a bore guide that I made from a cartridge case these days. Just pay attention to what you are doing, and that 94 will last a long, long time.

suppose to wash the bore snakes when they get dirty.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Mold
    As long as we're discussing cleaning Model 94's - I have a 94 SRC (30-30) dating from about 1928 that I bought recently. Bore isn't awful, just neglected. My problem is this: I'm unable to clean it (Hoppe's No 9) to the point where I get clean patches - a LOT of green (copper) still showing. I think I'm removing eighty-year-old deposits; any way to get it clean?

Boolit Master
    You might try one of the foaming bore cleaners. I've had good results with the Gunslick cleaner I got from Midway. Squirt it in via the chamber until it drips out the bore, let it sit in a horizontal position overnight, then patch the bore with a couple tight patches on a jag. It may take several sessions until you don't see blue color or goo on the patch depending on the condition of the bore. I did this process on an Ishapore 2A1 and the bore now looks almost new. Hope this helps, GF.

Cast Boolits Owner

Agreed. A foaming bore cleaner may be the fix. Keep cleaning, you will eventually get the green out and from that point on it will be easy.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

FWIW

I clean my Model 94's bbl from the rear via first removing the bolt, ala Marlin 336; the action via pulling the buttstock after removing the tang screw (which exposes the lockworks/trigger to a clean/oil); and the inside of the magazine tube via removing the endcap screw, cap, spring & follower.

To remove the bolt, unscrew/remove the (only) large-head screw in the upper LH action wall (the lever pin stop screw) & open the lever until the bolt's about 3/4"-1" "open" - the lever bolt pin will align with the screw's hole, ready to be pushed out through the small hole opposite, in the RH receiver sidewall. Drop the lever/link/locking bolt once the lever pin's "out" & the bolt should slide right out rearward. (assemble in reverse order )

When reassembling the magazine innards, hold the hand-compressed spring inside the magazine tube via a small screwdriver through the cap screw's hole in the tube end with one hand until the other hand can start the endcap into the end of the magazine tube to hold the spring "in", instead of the small screwdriver.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

For cleaning out copper the foaming cleaner is awesome, generally just takes one application. I always do at least 2 applications and then run a CLP patch thru it. If the action is really fillthy I'll hose it down with Gunscrubber and follow with Hornady One-Shot cleaner & dry lube, it leaves a nice coating that won't attract more crud. If the action is not terribly dirty I just use the One-Shot.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Two bore snakes. one saturated in bore cleaner to do the cleaning and the second , saturated with lube to finish up with. When they get dirty I clean them. I wash my handkerchief when it gets dirty and I wash the bore snakes when they get dirty....works for me.

Gary

Banned

bore snake is your friend.

Glad to see that others are understanding that copper fouling has to go...if you want accuracy from your smoke pole.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    C'mon ????????.......... using a boresnake is like using a dirty handkerchief.

BvT
    As with handkerchiefs, it is possible to wash the Boresnake with warm water and a mild solvent. Winchester 1895 came with a string with a weight threaded for a brush. This is a very handy way to remove obstructions from the bore when you are in the fields. Blow a string or cord down the barrel and attach a small piece of rag on it and draw it out. Leave a short end to make it possible to draw it back if stuck. The Otis Kit-A-Kaboodle (?) sold in the -90:s was a handy set. The padded one didnīt cause any noise when hunting. Unfortunately mine was stolen. Cleaning rods made of steel is for the military, donīt use them.

Boolit Buddy
    Home made patch worm from the chamber on all my guns..22 through 45-70.
    The Flag is flown upside down as an official distress signal that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has been compromised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12