Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 35.303, Cast Bullets and my Learning / Remembering Curve !

35.303, Cast Bullets and my Learning / Remembering Curve !

Evening Folks

Ever reminded yourself about something you already know after the event !!

A Generous fella was kind enough to send me some CBE 358250 projectiles as I had been considering purchasing this Mould. In my haste to shoot them and see how they would go I loaded a few batches stepping up in 1 grain increments from 38 gr AR2208 up to 41 gr of AR2208, about 4 grains under a theoretical max load

The once fired 35.303 cases neck sized , trimmed, primers seated just right and exact charges weighed and loaded. The projectiles where sized and pan lubed, seated to the crimping groove one calibre deep. There was a magic load ready to jump out at me

I dropped a cartridge into the chamber with a satisfying thunck - closed the Silky smooth SMLE bolt **** - YOU BLOODY DILL - I had neglected to make a dummy round to check if these CBE 358250 projectiles would chamber

The projectile was making way too firm contact with the Lands, about a 1/4" from the metplat just below the round nose. The Rifles throat was too short, set up for the Jacketed projectiles I'd originally planned to shoot from the Rifle - I knew that just got carried away.

No harm done, had a few new loads for my Rossi 357 Lever so it was not a wasted trip.

On the way home from the Range I had a discussion with the Gunsmith who put this Rifle together for me and have left it with him and some sample rounds to have the throat lengthened.

Now I gotta wait a couple more weeks and start again. I also have a heap of Lyman 358315 208 gr proj cast up that I'm curious to see how they will shoot with the longer throat as they showed good potential with the short throat.

regards Jacko
    "To my deep mortification my father once said to me,'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."'

- Charles Darwin

Boolit Buddy
    Been there, done that, hope the drive home wasn't too long.

We've gotta wait a few more weeks to found out how it went for too!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''