WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .35Rem Based Wildcats

Or you could do 7-08rimless. 356 rimless is just a 358 win with the recognition that you operate at the pressure restriction of the action. 308 and 35rem have almost the same rim dia.

Rod

In Remebrance

Yup, true enough. But that isn't on a 35 Rem case which is what the OP was asking about.

Boolit Master

35 Rem.

Just a little information on the 35 Rem., 32 Rem., and the 30 Rem. The 35 Remington is the only case to my knowledge that use it's rim size, which is .460". The 32 Remington and the 30 Remington both use the same rim size which is .422". I am almost sure that you can use loading data from the 30-30 and the 32 Winchester special for the 30 Rem. and the 32 Rem. respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Yup, true enough. But that isn't on a 35 Rem case which is what the OP was asking about.
    Yeah my thoughts are drifting towards the 308 as parent case. Thought about doing something with 35 rem case but couldn't do better than the 356 RL. Especially when you count reamer and die costs. You did get me thinking about a 7mm.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Yeah my thoughts are drifting towards the 308 as parent case. Thought about doing something with 35 rem case but couldn't do better than the 356 RL. Especially when you count reamer and die costs. You did get me thinking about a 7mm.
    You are getting close to the Holy Grail of cast boolits, the .358 Winchester!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    For one of my "get to one of these days" projects, I am going to run a 35 Rem reamer in short and maybe try to use 7.62 x 39 brass. If it works, then I will try it in an AR15. Use shortened 35 Rem dies to load.
    Rockrat, I was looking into doing that very thing with my 357mag Timberwolf.

I just needed to see how long I could seat it out.

I was calculating a 15-20% increase in velocity, with no increase in chamber pressure. it would put it right beside a 3030, with a 35cal boolit.

and having 8-9 rounds instantaneously would be a fun deal

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    If you could do a 7mm-08 type of thing in a lever, (or a 284 Winchester!!), you'd have something. I think there were a few Savage 99's in 7mm-08. .

Wonder what a 7mmx45-70 or 7mmx444 Marlin would do? I think you'd have the capacity to exceed the 7mm-08 by quite a margin.

Boolit Buddy
    Myt thoughts were a shortened 35 rem, attached to a SKS, would make a H of a deer or pig brush gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    The 7mmx35 .
    Bret - KNOW this is an OLD post, but thumbing thru Waters' Pet Loads, looking at the 7-30 Waters/307 Win, etc. And had (what I thought MIGHT be) an epiphany! A 35 Rem case necked down to 7mm. So, did you ever go down this path? Or has anyone? Maybe like a 284 Win Lite, or as listed above, a 7x57 in a lever gun! How cool would that be?!

Boolit Master
    The 35 Remington was Remington's answer to the 35 Winchester, using the same case head diameter (.457-.460) as the 35 Winchester/30-40 Krag/ 303 British without the rim. The 25 Remington is a rimless 25/35 (.419-.422) head diameter. The 30 Remington is a rimless 30-30 (.419-.422) head diameter. The 32 Remington is a rimless 32 Special (.419-.422) head diameter. The 35 Remington is factory loaded for the Remington Model 8 semi-auto at 33,500 CUP for SAAMI standards. The Marlin 336 handles the 444 Marlin - 44,000 CUP. The 444 Marlin case head is the same as the .308/.30-06 with a rim. There have been a couple 338 wildcats on the 35 over the years, maybe interesting but little to gain. Maybe a 7mm/.280 Creedmore on a Marlin would be fun and easy to make brass (308) rather than using the 35 case. Before the 7mm-08, I had a short .270/08 Improved on the Marlin 336, a fun rifle. The case head fit THAT 35 Rem bolt without modification.

I 'found' it after I posted. Same basic thing. Layne Simpson's 7 MM STE. Only problem today is - there is not one single RN/FP jacketed 7mm bullet I could manufactured today. Used to be, but discontinued. Could always shoot cast, but really lose any advantage with lower velocity.

IF someone started making 7mm RN/FP bullets, the STE sounds like the bomb. Other would be if a 284 Win would work in a levver, but too much pressure for the Marlin

The Speer 7mm 130 gr btsp and other sp bullets can have their soft lead tip filed flat to work in a tube magazine. I thought the 7mm STE was based on the .307 Win (rimmed .308)??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In Remembrance
    Iirc, savage chambered the M99 in 284 for a while, it apparently was not a big seller.

Boolit Grand Master
    But worth a whole bunch nowadays!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The Speer 7mm 130 gr btsp and other sp bullets can have their soft lead tip filed flat to work in a tube magazine. I thought the 7mm STE was based on the .307 Win (rimmed .308)??
    Agree could file spires down. And yes, the 7 STE is based on the 307 Win.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Iirc, savage chambered the M99 in 284 for a while, it apparently was not a big seller.
    Oh they did. I have one!

When 35 Remingtons were not found in ammo stores a couple or more years ago there was an individual turning out 35 Remington cases from 308's. They were shootable in the actions anyway, won't attest to the performance. Cases are at least close. A few Marlin 35 R have been rechambered into 356 Winchesters so they kind of go the other way and do not use the case.
    As mentioned, you are dealing with a tubular magazine lever rifle although some lightweight Mausers were made in 35 for a handy brush rifle. They claimed that a bolt action 35 R properly throated with a long enough magazine to hold 250 grain bullets was a different animal than the lever gun as it was loaded to higher pressures and would push the heavier bullet about as fast as the 200 grain lever cartridge. Also they used pointed bullets. Not a wild cat but a different use.
    In any other platform than a tubular lever one might as well use any one of the 308 modifications other than spend big bucks adapting to a wildcat. Some Big Bore 94 users claimed that they could use 308 and 358 cases in their rifles even thought they had a smaller head? They were not talking about loaded ammo.
    Too bad the 25, 30 and 32 Remingtons died off as they were good cartridges better suited to a repeater than the rimmed Winchester cartridges. And I have older loading manuals that claim you sue the same data for them as their Winchester counterparts.

DEP

Own a Rem Mdl 14 in 35 Remington. Have looked at a bunch of Mdl 14/141s in 30 and 32 Rem. 1-2 in 25 Rem. I would own a 30 or 32 IF brass wasn't so hard to find.

Boolit Master

Consider this....The 6.5 Arisaka case can be formed from 35 Remington cases with a simple neck down and reform of the shoulder... 35 Rem is just 1mm shorter than the 6.5 Arisaka cartridge. The 6.5 Arisaka case was designed and put into production around 1897 while the 35 Remington cartridge was designed in 1906 so....in theory, you could call the 35 Rem as a derivative of the 6.5 Arisaka with a redesigned cartridge rim....

Just to put a wildcat 6.5-35Rem idea in your heads.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Hawk Bullets makes flat-points in 7mm, I have clipped the lead of spitzers and filed flat for several Marlin wildcats and the 218 Bee. I have a 35-284x 2" that I use 225 Nosler Partition in, I clip the point with a farrier's hoof nipper then smooth to the jacket with a smooth file. It comes out 220 grains like the Speer flatpoint, but it IS A PARTITION. I clipped a lot of bullets tips for my Marlin 270-08 when the rounnoses disappeared (long ago). Yeah, the 7mm STE (7-07) came out shortly after the 7-30 Waters. I did stock up. There were 120 Nosler's 130 Speer's and 139 Hornady's, all Flatpoints available. The 284 Win in the Savage 99 is a big step up, matching the 270 Win and 308 Win when bullet weight and barrel length are equal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast