Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with 45 Colt Dies

Issue with 45 Colt Dies

I have a set of Redding 45 Colt Carbide dies. The problem i am having is the seater crimp die is too tight. I seat and crimp in two steps, however with this issue it wouldn't matter. When I seat a .454 lead bullet and then run the case into the die to crimp it gets really tight before it gets to the crimp ring. So tight in fact that if you pull the bullet after crimping it has been sized down to .453.

I sent the dies to Redding and they said all they could do is polish them due to the fact they cant open them up more than SAAMI spec will allow, so they did.

After getting the dies back I still have the same issue with the exception of the polishing did relieve the force it took to run the case to the crimp ring, but STILL SIZING TO .453.

Any of you ever had this problem. I mean these dies are expensive and as a side note I also have a set of RCBS dies that don't have this much of an issue, they only size down to .453.5.

Anyone know what I can do. Redding rep said he would talk to the Boss but haven't heard back from him in a week or so. Maybe the boss is on holiday, I guess I get to wait or just use the RCBS dies and use the Reddings for fishing weights.

UPDATE POST #16
    UPDATE POST #18
    Last edited by H110; 06-18-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Boolit Master

I know what I would do. I would tell them that I wanted my money back and go buy a 3 die carbide set of Lee dies for around $28.00.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I've seen this before, Redding and Dillon dies do that sometimes. My thought is buy RCBS because they are pretty much made for the bullet caster. I know, more $$$.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Thanks canyon-ghost, I suppose there would be a certain brand that would work better for cast.

I would try running a case through the die without a bullet. I wouldn't do a full cycle on the press but only about 90% of the press stroke. A little to much flair can make it hard for cases to go up into the sizing die.

After this I would maybe use a bolt in the press instead of the seating die to press a bullet into an empty case. Then remove the bullet and see if it was sized down.

I don't know what size jacketed bullets would be for your 45, but the expander could be more for a jacketed round. I don't know if the case would have enough strength to size the bullet down or not, but this would eliminate or prove the seating die as a problem.

If the die needs to be larger on the inside a collet shouldn't hurt it when holding it to drill or bore it out a little on a lathe. You might be able to seat talk someone here to helping you out with some machining.

It doesn't size down .452's only .454's to .453. I tried it and the case did not size it down at all. When I tried to crimp it wallah, lots of resistance and bullet swagged down again. The die just is not made for.454;s I guess.

Boolit Grand Master
    H110 :

Redding would either make the die work properly or refund my money, I don't care what the Boss says ! !

Interesting that the " High Dollar " dies don't work right, and the cheaper Lee's work just fine.......and people continue to " Bash " Lee.

Whether or not a reloader chooses to buy Lee products................, it is clear that Lee being in the market place, keeps everyone else " honest ".

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like an excuse to go buy a revolver with tight throats and bore. I'm always looking for an excuse, ha. More fun then buying a new set of dies!

I only have one that needs .454's. All the rest of my 45's are good to go with .452's. What I want to know is Redding says they cant open it up because of the SAAMI spec. I don't believe the SAAMI spec only applies to Redding so apparently someone is not going by the spec. due to the fact the RCBS dies don't have the issue.

I know someone is saying just use the RCBS dies and that's what i have been doing but that's not the point.

Boolit Buddy
    H110, use your Redding dies to seat and the RCBS to crimp.

Rico1950, I can do that but for what Redding dies cost they should work.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Die

Is the neck expander opening your case mouth to .454? I shoot 44-40 now but shot 45Colt in SASS matches for a long time. I used the RCBS 45 Colt Cowboy dies because they are made for lead bullets. They have two expansion stems in the box,one is .452 and the other is .454 so that you have that choice. My guns all slugged at .453 so I used .454 bullets. I had a problem at times as I always seat and crimp in two stages also. I was using the LEE FCD die until I discovered it was .452, I then purchased the Redding crimp die by it's self and my problems were solved. I now use the Redding die on my 44-40 ammo also. The Lee FCD was causing a bulge that would not allow the loaded round to go into the cylinders of my USFA revolvers. Redding die solved problem. You could also have a die set with the taper crimp die as both are made. The one that is needed is the roll crimp die. Perhaps you should check the dies and see. The proper crimp die from Redding is called the Profile Crimp Die. The taper crimp will start the crimp early in the stroke and the roll crimp will come in later. The die you need is 076-86191
    Last edited by cajun shooter; 06-10-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Sounds like you die was made with jacketed bullets in mind. I have a set of RCBS 45 Colt dies and a Redding Profile Crimp die. Neither of which give me the trouble you describe.

As an aside, I have quit the use of carbide sizing dies in the 45 Colt. They reduce the case too much and results in a bunch of slop between the loaded round and the charge hole. I have gone back to an old(1965) RCBS steel sizing die and this problem has also gone away.

45 Colt dies, sixgun charge holes and sixgun cylinder throats can be pesky things to deal with.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks to all of you for responding. I now know more than I did.

Boolit Grand Master
    but for what Redding dies cost they should work.

Yes, that is the point ! ! I agree

Ben

UPDATE: Redding's engineer has decided that they may have a problem. They are sending me out a new honed and polished die and a return envelope in order for me to send them the tight die. They want to inspect it and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. The redding engineer actually taught me something. This is good to know, take the seater plug out, turn the die upside down and drop the bullet you are seating in the die. If it falls through you are good to go if it will not the die is too tight, makes sense to me.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

Good test, glad to hear Redding is interested in correcting this. The "SAMMI spec" argument
    has the aroma of bull exhaust, if you know what I mean.

No doubt that most dies are designed for Jbullets, I get that. OTOH, if you are asking for
    the seater to be a bit bigger, exactly HOW can this cause any safety related problem?

I am using old RCBS tapered steel dies in .45 LC also, and they work better. The brass
    rattling with the cabide die set was irritating. Brian Pearce put me onto this one, and he
    is dead right.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Got the die from Redding and it still has the same problem. Just because the Boolit/Bullet falls through the die doesn't mean squat! You still have the case diameter to consider.

This is getting old.

Boolit Master
    I suspect that the only way you're going to maintain the .454" diameter of your boolits is to have your crimping die honed out to allow for that. Some of the machinists or 'smiths here on the forum can probably either do the work or recommend someone who can.

I agree - you shouldn't have to go to the trouble and expense - in a perfect world.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    H110 -
    I had the identical issue with Redding profile crimp dies in 44 SP and 44 Mag. One die would size a 0.432 bullet down to 0.430 during crimping. The other identical profile crimp die would leave the 0.432 bullet at full diameter. I tried the "drop to bullet thru the die" test and found that the offending die would not pass a 0.432 bullet. I wrapped a piece of 600 grit emery paper around a wood dowel and opened the die. Works great now.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast