Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ed' Red Recipe please

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BobGee View Post
    Late to the party but for Antipodeans, aliphatic mineral spirit is equivalent to our White Spirit which is 100% Naphtha and readily available under the trade name Diggers here in Oz. Shipped as turpentine substitute.

Bob
    Is the above true? Isn't Coleman fuel 100% Naptha?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

From Miriam-Webster Dictionary: Definition of naphtha
    "1: any of various volatile often flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixtures used chiefly as solvents and diluents."

There are aliphatic naphthas and aromatic naphthas. They are classified by boiling range. To make a 100% aliphatic naphtha (no aromatics) requires specialized processing and is seldom done except to make reagent grade chemicals, which are expensive.
    God Bless, Whisler

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What is sold in the US as aliphatic mineral spirits or Stoddard Solvent is a nonflammable "safety solvent" used for dry cleaning, which does not contain volatile organics and such does not ignite when tested under the NFPA test standard, such that it will extinguish a lighted match inserted into it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

For best results , download and print the 4 page instructions from the Los Angeles Silhouette Club Link
    www.lasc.us/eds%20Red.pdf and follow the ingredient list and instructions exactly.

The last gallon I made for $20.00 , all 4 basic ingredients were purchased at Wally Mart , transmission fluid in the auto section , acetone and mineral spirits in paint dept , K-1 kerosene was in dept. that sells hurricane (kerosene) lamps ... it is hurricane season and they had plenty .
    Buy what is listed in the ingredient list ...it works best that way . I don't bother with Lanolin .

Don't try to substitute the "Lamp Oil " Wally Mart sells for outdoor Tiki Torches...for kerosene , it's not the same as K-1 Kerosene .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-04-2020 at 04:43 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I'm still on my first 3 quarts, not having ever added the acetone. I used about 4 ounces of lanolin instead of the 12 which would have been as specified for 3/4 gallon. I find that amount of lanolin to be enough to make a fine gun wipe of the Ed's Red.

The first home made gun wipe I made was as recommended by Brownell's in about 1970: they suggested a one to one mixture of their sperm oil and liquid silicone oil which I got from Herter's. That stuff had a good homey smell and absolutely guarded polished steel from corrosive sweaty finger prints. I still have some (even have a few pints of Brownell's sperm oil), but my informal testing has shown that the Ed's Red with lanolin is as good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    So is Lighter Fluid for those of you who know where to get fuel for your Zippo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    For best results , download and print the 4 page instructions from the Los Angeles Silhouette Club Link
    www.lasc.us/eds%20Red.pdf and follow the ingredient list and instructions exactly.

The last gallon I made for $20.00 , all 4 basic ingredients were purchased at Wally Mart , transmission fluid in the auto section , acetone and mineral spirits in paint dept , K-1 kerosene was in dept. that sells hurricane (kerosene) lamps ... it is hurricane season and they had plenty .
    Buy what is listed in the ingredient list ...it works best that way . I don't bother with Lanolin .

Don't try to substitute the "Lamp Oil " Wally Mart sells for outdoor Tiki Torches...for kerosene , it's not the same as K-1 Kerosene .
    Gary
    The "mineral spirits" that Walmart sells is a replacement for the real stuff. Make sure you get actual mineral spirits.
    NRA Benefactor.

This caught my eye in Ed Harris' primary-source article:
    >
    > For longer term storage I recommend use of
    > Lee Liquid Alox as a Cosmolene substitute.
    >

But as nostalgic as this makes me feel, I can't surpass KG-1 as the most effective bore cleaner in the last 15-20 years
    (and my wife quit yelling when I cleaned things in the kitchen)
    Last edited by mehavey; 08-08-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    ATF has got a hypoid smell now so I swapped it for Marvel Mystery Oil.

I also use it 50/50 with acetone as penetrating oil.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Other than the urge to be inventive, I don't understand wanting to substitute something else in Ed's Red since none of the components are difficult to find. The only thing you can't find in any big box (or mom and pop) building supply is ATF, and every store in town that carries auto supplies carries ATF. I realize things can be different outside the USA. When I made my first batch years ago I already had all the components in my garage. It's possible that some substitutions could make it less effective, and I like it well enough that it's all I use except when I need to remove jacket fouling.

Boolit Master
    My previous batch of Ed's Stunk. It never had before but the latest ATF has Extreme Pressure additives that make it smell like Hypoid Oil. Won't have it in my shop. The EP component wasn't in the original Ed's and isn't needed.

Marvel is basically ATF with penetrating additives and was originally sold as a top end cylinder treatment. It will free up varnish trapped piston rings and it Smells Good. Like Hoppes #9 only different.

The single best penetrating oil is ATF and Acetone. Marvel works just as well in that application too.
    Mal

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    ATF has got a hypoid smell now so I swapped it for Marvel Mystery Oil.

I also use it 50/50 with acetone as penetrating oil.
    Is that synthetic ATF?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Coleman Fuel is a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane , octane , heptane , and pentane .
    Historically called white gas it is a liquid petroleum fuel , 100% light hydrotreated distillate .
    Although it has a octane rating of 50 - 55 and a flammability similar to gasoline, it has none of the additives found in modern gasoline .
    Most Coleman lamps, stoves and heaters will burn modern unleaded gasoline however .

Is Coleman Fuel naphtha ... Yes and No , It's mostly naphtha with a couple extra ingredients ...one being a rust inhibitor to promote clean burning and help keep the burners clean .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Is that synthetic ATF?
    No, this was regular ATF. I bought a small case (Mobile?/Costco) to share with the old 97 Subaru whatever ATF type that was. This was 6 years ago at least. I have no idea which types of ATF have those EP additives. I wonder what reaction I'd get from the local auto supply if I asked to sniff test all the types and brands.

I'm sure it was one of those "We Know Better and Fixed It For You" things
    Mal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12