Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed' Red Recipe please

Ed' Red Recipe please

I tried a search in the stickies forum with no joy. I also trieed looking in castpics articles also no luck.

Boolit Master

Simpler to ask you to Google "Eds Red Bore Cleaner" than to cut and paste mine!

Boolit Bub
    Here are several recipies for gun cleaners amoung other things. Even how to make a foul out system like Outers.
    http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Copper

Moderator Emeritus

Use the search function as I just did for you,
    here are the results.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sear...archid=3116379
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

The recipe I used was:
    • 1 part Automatic Transmission Fluid
    • 1 part Acetone
    • 1 part Mineral Spirits
    • 1 part Kerosene

Surprisingly, Ace Hardware had all of these which was very convenient. I just felt a little odd at the checkout buying these 4 chemicals.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm kinda partial to this link to Ed's Red,

Eds Red.pdf

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cranium View Post
    The recipe I used was:
    • 1 part Automatic Transmission Fluid
    • 1 part Acetone
    • 1 part Mineral Spirits
    • 1 part Kerosene

Surprisingly, Ace Hardware had all of these which was very convenient. I just felt a little odd at the checkout buying these 4 chemicals.
    I added the optional lanolin (4 oz tube) to mine. Think it helps cut the harshness of the chemicals on your hands...

I wasn't concerned about the softness of my hands.

Plus I'm only cleaning a gun or two at a time and not much really contacts my hands.

On the Acetone you can buy 100% Acetone fingernail polish remover at about any store. I gave a $1.50 for a 6 oz. bottle and you can store some of the Ed's Red back in the original bottle.

Boolit Buddy

ed's red

1/3 kroil, 1/3 x'mission fluid, 1/3 charcoal lighter fluid.

let soak for 30 imn., brush and then dry patch to remove powder resid. will remove powder resid., but not copper or lead from a barrel.

down side of ed's red. you can't get all of it out the barrel. dry patch all you want. will take a one or two shots to get out a barrel. first or second shot will not be on target.

rp

Thanks for the responses. I also found a recipe in Glen Fryxell's on line book: 1 part MEK, 1 part Xylene, and 1 part Mercon III ATF. I wish I could have gotten the Xylene and mek in quarts instead of gallons. Got a funny look at the paint store and asked what I wanted it for. I assured the young man I wasn't cooking up illeagle drugs.

I'd like to make some Ed's Red. I like the recipie on Rick's link (Ed Harris's recipie).

What is Aliphatic Mineral Spirit / Varsol? In Australia we have no product labled as such. Also what are these products normaly used for?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post

What is Aliphatic Mineral Spirit / Varsol?

Thanks
    I tried to get aliphatic mineral spirits here in NZ and drew a blank. There was an aliphatic varnish of some sort but it was as dear as poison.
    I used standard mineral spirits.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    I tried to get aliphatic mineral spirits here in NZ and drew a blank. There was an aliphatic varnish of some sort but it was as dear as poison.
    I used standard mineral spirits.

Von Gruff.
    Aliphatic mineral spirits, Stoddard solvent, and odorless mineral spirits are all fairly close to ordinary "paint thinner", just plain old mineral spirits sold by the quart or gallon for cleaning and, yes, thinning or cleaning up linseed-oil-based house paint.

Gear

I could easily be wrong on this but. I think the thinner is to place the oils in solution.
    Plus dissolve whatever in the bore. Which is why there are several options listed for the thinner. You will have variation in smell, evaporation rate and flammability. Not to mention cancer risk. I don’t see any high risk solvents in the eds red formulas. HTC and Toluene would work great right up to the point where you die a slow miserable death. I've attended two of those funerals. Which is just one more reason I like mixing up my own cleaner. Then at lest I know what’s in it.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Aliphatic mineral spirits, Stoddard solvent, and odorless mineral spirits are all fairly close to ordinary "paint thinner", just plain old mineral spirits sold by the quart or gallon for cleaning and, yes, thinning or cleaning up linseed-oil-based house paint.

Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I could easily be wrong on this but. I think the thinner is to place the oils in solution.
    Plus dissolve whatever in the bore. Which is why there are several options listed for the thinner. You will have variation in smell, evaporation rate and flammability. .
    Thanks for the clarification guys. I am sure this will be helpfull information for many especially those in areas with ciffering brand and common names for some products.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Ditto!

Gear, When you said "ordinary paint thinner" do you mean auto paints or house paint(oil based) All of the auto paint thinner I looked at had a large % of Toluene, which according to GabbyM is V bad. If you mean thinner for oil based house paint we know that as Mineral Turpentine.

Thanks

Boolit Mold
    Late to the party but for Antipodeans, aliphatic mineral spirit is equivalent to our White Spirit which is 100% Naphtha and readily available under the trade name Diggers here in Oz. Shipped as turpentine substitute.

Bob
    Last edited by BobGee; 08-03-2020 at 04:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast