Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben's Blue

Banned

Dang, Ben, nice group! Cheap, too. Aluminum checks, homeade lube and boolits, and bargain Russian primers can shoot no matter what they tell ya if you get things dialed-in!

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Ben, what would you suggest for 45 ACP, Ben's RED or Ben's BLUE?
    Keep up the great experiments and development.
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Grand Master
    bpratl

You'd probably have easier access to the components for Ben's Red.
    Ben's Red is shooting good for several guys here on the forum. I've shot it in a wide variety of pistol calibers, and also in rifle calibers in excess of 2,000 fps with zero problems.

Do you need the lube recipe for Ben's Red ? If so , I'll PM it to you.

Ben

Ben's Red

Quote Originally Posted by bpratl View Post
    Ben, what would you suggest for 45 ACP, Ben's RED or Ben's BLUE?
    Keep up the great experiments and development.
    bpratl, I have been using Ben's Red for the last few months and i have ran several hundred rounds lubed with Ben's Red.( 90% of my shooting is 45 acp)
    Hey Ben, Thanks for sharing your recipe for the Red.( great lube) I would like to try the blue next.

Yancey

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    bpratl
    Ben's Red is shooting good for several guys here on the forum. I've shot it in a wide variety of pistol calibers, and also in rifle calibers in excess of 2,000 fps with zero problems.
    Ben
    Thanks. What is the recommended temperature and air pressure in using Ben's RED with a Star luberasizerThanks.
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Master

Just call me a Smurf ! !
    yes sir that's what he did,but you know if the shoe fits,wear it LOL

Boolit Grand Master
    bpratl :

I don't own a star, I have no idea what to tell you about that.

Ben

The local auto parts store doesn't have ATP assembly lube,but they do have a green 'Assembly Goo' by Dr.Tranny. I'm guessing it will do the same job. Just a different color. ? Have you tried any other brands or just the blue ATP product?
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I have only tried the Blue Blue ATP product. I really can't comment on any others.

Ben

Boolit Master
    bpratl

Ben
    Well I'm in the market for a good lube... I'm just now getting into reloading 44's, .223, and 308.. and the 44's are for a levergun and a blackhawk... so... will the red work with them? and I'll take recipe anyways... since I'm a newbie to this game...

Much Aloha.. and I loved that group... shows... speed don't mean nothing... it only allows you to miss closer... when you don't know where you're shooting...

Thank you again for a most informative thread!

GEeeeze.... is thing really two years old...

Boolit Grand Master
    Rattus58

You're VERY welcome !

01/20/2013

A bit of an up-date......I've ,for all practical purposes, abandoned Ben's Blue....not because of problems with the lube but because Ben's Red has done so well for me ( and many others ) that I see no real reason to continue making Ben's Blue any longer.

Another advantage to Ben's Red is the ease with which the components can be obtained locally by most shooters. Not so with the Ben's Blue mixture.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-20-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ben,
    Finally made a batch of "Ben's Red". Followed the instructions (rare procedure for me), and it came out great. Go figure-------follow the instructions and it works as advertised. Eager to use it. Have to run out the last of my last homemade lube - kind of a speed green & carnuba mix before I can load it in the sizer.
    Went to the dollar store and found a cheap sauce pan. Unfortunately it had no internal graduation markings so I just got out the tape measure and marked (scratched) every 1/4 inch. Works fine.

01/20/2013

A bit of an up-date......I've for all practical purposes abandoned Ben's Blue....not because of problems with the lube but because Ben's Red has done so well for me ( and many others ) that I see no real reason to continue making Ben's Blue any longer.

Another advantage to Ben's Red is the ease with which the components can be obtained locally by most shooters. Not so with the Ben's Blue mixture.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    a slight [60-40] combination of the red and blue with the atf [from the red] could prove out also.
    the atf really helped my moly/white lith/carnuba lube become a better multi temp lube.
    once i found the carrier to lube ratio i needed.

Ben / runfiverun

Has the 60/40 of Red & Blue been tried yet? Or in some way through the "The Extreme Lube Quest" its kind of been covered?
    Don

Boolit Grand Master
    OLPDon

I can't be of any help on the subject.

I've fired Ben's Red, and I've fired Ben's Blue.

But, I've never mixed them ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Ben,
    Finally made a batch of "Ben's Red". Followed the instructions (rare procedure for me), and it came out great. Go figure-------follow the instructions and it works as advertised. Eager to use it. Have to run out the last of my last homemade lube - kind of a speed green & carnuba mix before I can load it in the sizer.
    Went to the dollar store and found a cheap sauce pan. Unfortunately it had no internal graduation markings so I just got out the tape measure and marked (scratched) every 1/4 inch. Works fine.

725:

That's great ! !

That's pretty much what I did with my mixing pan.

Let us know how the Ben's Red shoots.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus58 View Post
    Well I'm in the market for a good lube... I'm just now getting into reloading 44's, .223, and 308.. and the 44's are for a levergun and a blackhawk... so... will the red work with them? and I'll take recipe anyways... since I'm a newbie to this game...

Much Aloha.. and I loved that group... shows... speed don't mean nothing... it only allows you to miss closer... when you don't know where you're shooting...

GEeeeze.... is thing really two years old...
    Here is the recipe for Ben's Red :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...en-s-Red-today

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OLPDon View Post
    01/20/2013

Ben / runfiverun

Has the 60/40 of Red & Blue been tried yet? Or in some way through the "The Extreme Lube Quest" its kind of been covered?
    Don
    Yes and no. We've been experimenting with lithium grease lubes and non-grease lube (like Ben's Blue), but usually the addition of grease precludes the need for the heavy petrolatum.

Gear

Boolit Master
    All I can say is since I went to Bens Red 2 or 3 years ago I have no leading at all from properly sized boolits, bore looks shiny and slick always and true I do fire a flat base jacket bullet seated backwards every 20 rounds when shooting around 2000 fps (per Paco Kelly). I am happy!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Thanks Gear,
    I started to back track in the Quest thread. But needless to say with what limited knowledge and experience I have I just got overwhelmed. So that was the reason I posted it on this thread.

Thanks for reply
    Don

Banned

Yes, Don, that's a tough one to follow, not really a "how-to" for those looking for a good lube for a specific application, more of a continuing education and evolution of lube science. Hopefully within the next six months we'll have something nailed down as an "all around" lube. We're very close, actually, our only limitations are time, getting some of the ingredients together, and re-developing loads that can truly tell the difference. I'm in the process of building a bench rifle to do more lube tests at very high velocity, got the gun put together and the mould, now I need a throating reamer for the final tweak. Be looking for reports in the high 2400fps range for 180-grain, .30 caliber boolits.

Gear

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast