Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben's Blue

Boolit Grand Master

Ben's Blue

Well, it looks like the Mad Scientist is at work again.

I was in Huntsville, AL on Monday and found this lube, opened it and looked at it and felt of it and was impressed, so it came home with me.

This afternoon. I made up a mixture of bullet lube with the new blue lube.

65 % Beeswax

20% Blue Lube

10% Johnson's Paste Wax

5 % White Lith. grease

I'll be trying this out soon and offer a report
    here on this thread.

When it cools to a solid, I may have to adjust the above %'s slightly
    to get the consistency that I'm looking for.

Ben

Here are the photos :

Boolit Master
    Looks nice! I think I have more lube mixed up than I'll ever use in my lifetime! When I first started making my own lube a couple of years ago I started with Saeco Green lube and made it just a bit softer. I also mixed up some of Bullshop's Speed Green. I came up with the brilliant idea of mixing the two together for the best properties of each and it's worked very well for everything so far. I have about 3 lbs. of the stuff, and at the rate I'm going right now that will last a very, very long time. At least I don't have leading and have decent accuracy! My intention is to get out to the range either tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning with the .308 and cast loads. The girls just got done with school today and they want to go shoot, and I have visits schedule for tomorrow morning but the afternoon is clear and I intend for it to stay that way so we can go shooting in the afternoon.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Do not tell me that Ole Ben is turning into a Smurf lol
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by selmerfan View Post
    Looks nice! I think I have more lube mixed up than I'll ever use in my lifetime! When I first started making my own lube a couple of years ago I started with Saeco Green lube and made it just a bit softer. I also mixed up some of Bullshop's Speed Green. I came up with the brilliant idea of mixing the two together for the best properties of each and it's worked very well for everything so far. I have about 3 lbs. of the stuff, and at the rate I'm going right now that will last a very, very long time. At least I don't have leading and have decent accuracy! My intention is to get out to the range either tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning with the .308 and cast loads. The girls just got done with school today and they want to go shoot, and I have visits schedule for tomorrow morning but the afternoon is clear and I intend for it to stay that way so we can go shooting in the afternoon.

Only someone from someplace like Minnesota could say going shooting in the afternoon lol. Down here in South Texas in the Afternoon it is around 100F But sunny lol.

I hope you all have a great time indeed.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just call me a Smurf ! !

Ok Ben The Smurf lol. Sorry for some reason I think of a big Grand Father Clock that is Blue lol. Naaaaaa lol.

Boolit Master

I have had good luck with the "Ben's Red" lube. When does the "Ben's White" hit the stands? Looking forward to seeing the performance of this one.

Doug

Boolit Master
    Ha - we topped 100 degrees yesterday and couldn't make 65 today, not supposed to get over 65 for the next four days! It should be a great day for shooting tomorrow afternoon if it's not raining.

Boolit Grand Master
    I didn't wait until the lube reached room temp as it can sometimes be difficult to cut and remove from the pan. I use a sharp putty knife to cut the lube into manageable pieces.

As I need the lube, the lube will be melted and poured into my Lube Sizer as in this link :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29088

It was still warm to the touch when I removed it. Came out pretty easy.
    It is stored now in a gallon sized zip / lock bag.

One of the things that I always look for is separation of the components upon cooling. This lube shows no signs of separation, as you can see below :

Last edited by Ben; 06-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Doug :

I like that idea, very patriotic.

Red, White and Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Just call me a Smurf ! !
    Her you go! New Avatar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails papa smurf.JPG  
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Master
    Now to figure out how to lube a 3 GG boolit with red, white, and blue lube...

Ben,
    Whats the intended velocity/pressure for this lube?
    jmsj

Boolit Grand Master
    jmsj

This new Blue Lube should be fine to 1,800 - 1,900 fps with my .30 cal. rifle bullets. ( The great majority of my .30 cal. rifle shooting is in the 1650 - 1750 fps zone anyway )

It is similar to my Ben's Red Lube, which works in excess of 2,000 fps with good accuracy and clean barrels.

I've still got a lot of testing to do with this Blue lube.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

Looks good!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Moderator Emeritus

MSDS for the ATP lube can be found here:

http://www.atp-inc.com/LinkClick.asp...sM%3D&tabid=63

It looks like it is mostly a heavy petroleum distillate so I would expect it to perform along the same lines as using high pressure grease. Wasn't that one of the Ben's Red ingredients? I've slept since I read that thread so was trying to remember.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes Wiljen , you're correct, my original " Ben's Red Lube " had Lucas Red / Tacky high pressure grease as one of it's components.
    Last edited by Ben; 06-09-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pat :

I know that for some people here on the forum, there is a lot of graduate level chemistry and physics in this lube making. However, if you're an experimenter and are willing to take a few failures in stride, you can often times " stumble " onto a good lube after doing your homework with a little research and being willing to listen to forum members who KNOW what they are talking about with respect to lube making. The real question is, can you repeat it if you do indeed find a real winner ? Good record keeping and accurate measuring of the components is CRITICAL to repeat-ability.

This repeat-ability with lube making is like my friend who came to the range one day and took out some cast loads that were about 5 yrs. old, they shot into a ragged hole, I said " WOW ! ! that's impressive, I guess you'll be loading more of that load ? "

He said " Nope, I didn't write down any load data when I loaded this ammo 5 yrs. ago ".

He had no idea what was in the cases ? ? ?
    Last edited by Ben; 06-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Early on in my experiments I made some things that worked and some things that were horrid. My worst experiment turned out the consistency of crunchy peanut butter and I'm guessing would have worked about equally well to boot. The good news is failed lube experiments make good smelting flux.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Grand Master
    True, .........catch is, when your primary component is beeswax and it turns out as a flop, it turns into some pretty expensive flux.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast