Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Need a .44 Colt Conversion Load

Boolit Mold

Need a .44 Colt Conversion Load

I have a Uberti .44 Colt Open Top. I have been shooting 4 grs. RedDot. Does anyone have any pet load of smokless powder load for their .44 Colt. Thanks, Jerry

Boolit Master
    Sorry, I use black powder in mine so I can not offer any suggestions. But I will follow this one and see what others use.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

COTW lists a load of 4.0gr of Bullseye and a 210gr cast boolit (Lyman 429185) that produces 700 ft/sec and 226 ft/lbs.

I would use only black powder personally, but that's me.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    AA nitro 100
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Jerry,

For what it's worth... one of my favorite cartridges. I shoot a conversion and a "72" Open-Tops, both like Titegroup. I load 4.0 gr. of Titegroup with a 205 gr. RNFP or a SWC, in Starline cases. Both work well in my Open-Tops for cowboy shoots. Easy to stay on target and get back on target after the shot. Would not want to hunt with it though! Good luck and good shooting!

IrishScot

Boolit Master
    200 grain bullet and a cowboy load of Trail Boss.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishScot View Post
    Jerry,

For what it's worth... one of my favorite cartridges. I shoot a conversion and a "72" Open-Tops, both like Titegroup. I load 4.0 gr. of Titegroup with a 205 gr. RNFP or a SWC, in Starline cases. Both work well in my Open-Tops for cowboy shoots. Easy to stay on target and get back on target after the shot. Would not want to hunt with it though! Good luck and good shooting!

IrishScot
    Thanks for your reply. I like the .44 Colt also. I find myself loading and shooting it more all the time. I haven't tried Titegroup, but will sometime. RedDot 4.0 grs. has been what I have used since I purchased the pistol. I cast with a Magma mold, 44-200-FP BB. Would like to have a .38 just like the .44. Thanks, Jerry

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Black Powder Cartridge BPCR,your place for combining the Holy Black and Brass.
    Where in the Cast Boolit category description does it say anything about smokeless powder reloading information?

The poster may want to buy as reference book or 2 and review the loading data on the powder vendor's websites. Better yet, go over to the SASS Wire. There are many open top revolver shooters there that don't shoot original gunpowder because they are too lazy to clean their firearms frequently
    Regards
    John

Jerry,

I saw your want of a .38.... I went the other way... to a pair in .45 Schofield. The Open-Tops, once again a conversion and a "72" pair combo, like 4.6 gr. of TG with a 200 gr. RNFP, also in Starline brass. Both shoot almost as well as the .44 Colts. This one may need a little tweek yet. Still good enought to compete. Gotta' love this time period with all the transitions and conversions! One of the "fellers" I shoot with does shoot a pair of "72" Open-Tops in 38 spl. .... loves it. Sorry, I don't know his load though.... I do recall him saying TG though.
    Good luck and good shooting!

IrishScot

Casting Mine Pard!

Wow

John Boy, he probably figured since he was shooting them in his black powder revolver this would be a good place to post.l

Cut us new guys a break.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Boolit Buddy
    I thought this was the black powder cartridge forum.

Why is he asking about smokeless powder loads here? Surely there must be another forum more appropriate for his questions.
    Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Semper Fi -

Boolit Master
    Here is a link to another forum where smokeless loads are discussed.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,27871.0.html

Also available is the hogdon site, go there and select pistol and 44 Colt.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

For you fellows who choose not to share info and point out a newbies mistake in posting, the Moderators apparently have no problem with the OP request. Perhpas you need to get signatures on a petition and force them to move the post.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    We're actually trying to help him by pointing him in a direction that will get him the answers he needs.
    Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Semper Fi -

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ya know, the staff really doesn't get much of a twist in the panties if something is in a "wrong" area. The main thing that happens with misplacement, is a member may not get all the visibility he may like for his question or topic.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!