WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: .30 Newton gun show find

.30 Newton gun show find

Picked up this barreled action at a gun show this weekend. I wasn't really looking for a new project, but as I passed the table I saw the words "30 Newton" on the side of a dusty barrel and stopped in my tracks. I have always been interested in the Newtons and find their history fascinating. I paid 75 bucks for the barreled action. The action is an FN mauser action, the barrel is an octagonal taper made by - who knows. It was covered in a thick layer of dust and once I got it home it cleaned up nice. Both the action and the barrel are new. The action has nothing on it so, other than the barrel I am starting from scratch. This will be a long tern project as I have so many other projects going on right now. Nonetheless, it will be my first build up of a bolt gun.

Anyone got a set of .30 Newton dies or brass they want to part with?

Boolit Master
    I think but am not sure that if it is the earlier beltless Newton you can turn the belts off 338 Win mag brass. If it is the belted you can use as is.
    So the cartridge might be described as a beltless 30/338.
    I THINK!

Boolit Man
    Jamison International and Quality Cartridge both have them.
    About $48.00 per 20.
    Not cheap but its the correct head stamp and quality brass.

BTY: I hate You.....LOL Just kidding

Cheers, John

It is beltless and from what I have read, the 375 Ruger provides a great parent case for the .30 Newton.
    I am going to have to make a chamber cast and see what things look like inside.

Anyone know the difference between the belted and non-belted .30 Newton? Was it just the addition of the belt or were there other differences dimensionally and with pressure standards? I know the differences as far as history/development but not the physical differences and differences between cartridge limits/standards. There either isn't much info out on the web or I just have dug deep enough.
    Last edited by mtnman31; 06-07-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: clarity

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know for sure, but may I suggest doing a chamber cast just to make sure of what you have?

I have always thought an octagon barrel looks classy on a bolt action.

Robert

Boolit Master

According to "The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions", by Donnelly, the 30 Newton can be converted from 8x68S cases just by running into a 30 Newton sizing die, trimming to length (2.525), loading aand fireforming. Availability of 8x68S cases may be a problem...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

The gunshow seller contacted me today, we met up and he gave me a bunch of Mauser parts to help get me started - bolt, double set trigger, and a few other odds and ends. It's not everything I need but definitely enough to get me started. I also purchased separately a semi-inletted stock. I'm not 100% certain that this is the stock I will end up using, but if anything, it will be something to practice on. I've never done any stock work other than cleaning up stocks from older surplus rifles - not quite the same as fitting an action, inletting, checkering, etc. I've got my work cut out for me since I have never built a bolt gun before. My rifle building experience has been limited to assembling a few different parts kits rifles (AR's and FAL's).

Boolit Master
    Hornady is making the 8x68S brass now.

It must have been the comtrails; I bought an oddity, and an "Oldie" as well this past week end at this little show west of us.

Got a Voere in 300 WM, the DST version. It cries out to me to fit a 30 Holland's Super barrel to it and take it to Africa next year for plains game.

The "Oldie", a C G Haenel in 7,9x57 (actual cartridge length is 56.8mm) Sporting Rifle. The old .315" bore. They are the commercial model of the original M1888 Mauser Military Rifle. DST's as well, FL tapered octagon barrel with machined integral rib, PG stock, cheek piece, steel butt plate. Even has a barrel key in the forend. Special Lyman sights, two leaf flip rear, and a peep.

Now, to get Swede to make me a .318" mould like the other two he has done.

Rich
    It is true! The devil does find work (or buys) for idle hands...

Boolit Bub
    no the belt cant be turned of a 338, the 30 newton is the same dia as the belt. turning the belt off would make too much slop in the chamber. i hear this alot and it just cant be done. guality cartrage makes brass for the 30 newton.

i have brass dies and a newton rifle. great cartrage it is the origonal ultra mag.
    if you guve up on the project or need some help let me know. looks like you dont have a bolt, when you find a bolt you will have to have the bolt face and extractor opened up. also check headspace. i will be building one of these in the future so i will have headspace gauges and reamer.

I have a trigger guard and floorplate for your action if you'd like it PM me.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy, PM sent.

I still have this project moving along slowly. I did pick up some .375 Ruger Basic brass that I will form after I find some dies.

Check this out

Saw your post, thought this might be of interest.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5393.jpg   IMG_5395.jpg   IMG_5394.jpg   IMG_5396.jpg   IMG_5397.jpg  

Nice, but the Newton has been relegated to the back burner. I have a few other projects I am working. I did get a set of dies and the 375 Ruger basic brass. I've got 50 cases formed and ready to load. When I can get some more spare time, I'll start working to finish the Newton.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnman31 View Post
    Nice, but the Newton has been relegated to the back burner. I have a few other projects I am working. I did get a set of dies and the 375 Ruger basic brass. I've got 50 cases formed and ready to load. When I can get some more spare time, I'll start working to finish the Newton.
    when you get donme with the 30 I have a 256 Newton barrel for you.