RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulldog 44

Boolit Master

Bulldog 44

I am looking at getting a 44spcl pistol. I was interested in getting a Taurus 431 or 441 but they are few to be had on Gunbroker. So I have turned my attention to the Bulldog in 44.
    Can anyone give me there experiences with the Bulldog.
    Kevin

Boolit Master

I have no experience with those you mention, but would like to throw the S&W 396 and 696 in there for you to look at. These are L-frame 5 shot 44 specials. 396 is scandium (light!). They also have made the N-frame 6 shot 624 and 24 - but these are very large and much heavier.

I have a .44 Bulldog and it is a very light gun. I mostly shoot cowboy action level loads (700-800fps) and find recoil quite manageable. It;s not a heavy duty type revolver but I've had no issues so far with the few hundred rounds I've put through it. Not as nice as the S&W but lots less money.

Boolit Master
    Subsonic
    I did look at the Smiths but they are twice the price of either the Taurus or Bulldog.

Boolit Master
    Had one of the original 3" blued Bulldogs 34 years ago and wish I had it back. Initially I loaded 5 grains of Bullseye with a 250 grain Lyman "Keith" bullet. This load would pretty well shoot to the point of aim but would only bury the bullet in a hedge post with base flush with the post. Next load was 7.5 grains of Unique with the same bullet. Things started coming to life then (Still have a light scar on my thumb knuckle from the back of the cylinder) but I learned how to manage it. Charter Arms is supposed to bring this version back out according to their website and I plan on getting one.

Banned

I've had a Bulldog for about 21 years now and like it. I haven't pounded hundreds of rounds though it, but I have shot several hundred throug it over the years and never had a problem. Dad had a stainless one for a long time too and never had any trouble with it either. Charter Arms has undergone some changes in management since mine was made so I'm not sure what their quality is like now.

Good advice to use light loads. Full power loads can be kind of unpleasant in that little gun.

Boolit Master

I bought one of the new SS Buldogs.

I never fired it or removed the tags til I sent it back for a new barrel

Most pitiful barrel I have ever seen. Rough with chunks galled out and it looked like it was threaded from the drilling or reaming.

Since it still had the tags on it when it went back to the factory you would assume one would get a letter apologizing for such crappy QA/QC. Naw!

Note the pres of Charter Arms is too busy playing graba$$ with NRA Rep on YouTube to be worried about the kind of product they turn out.

A slightly used Taurus 431 is as smooth, slick and trigger pull is great. Barrel is glassy smooth and fit and finish is most perfect. Just too dang heavy for a carry gun.

180 Remmie in the Bulldog and 200 Lee RNFP in the 431 would be what I would load if I had guns like that.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 06-07-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    With Pachmayr grips I find mine quite controllable even with fairly "serious" .44 special loads. Fun gun.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Moderator Emeritus

My new 4" Patriot Target Tracker 327 Fed has the literature for the Bulldog as they share the same frame. Fit and finish is fine as are the loads I have tried so far. I sold my old 3" Bulldog in Dec and replaced it with a Lipsey' Ruger 44 special.
    My Bulldog was a carry a lot shoot a little gun. It was accurate for my needs, 2" @ 25 yards with the group 2-3" left. It barked smartly with 250 gr bullets and 7 gr Unique but shot it well. I bought it as a bear gun for backpacking and have others that fit that need as well now. I would not turn down another from the 70"s if it came my way.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I too, have a Bulldog from the mid 80's. These are the ones to get over the newer ones if you can find a good used specimen. I don't load mine with anything over a 200 gr boolit. Great gun for the money.

Boolit Master
    My first carry gun was a Bulldog. I shot it out of time in 110 rounds with mostly 7.5 grains of Unique and a 250 grain Keith. When I took it to my pistolsmith who did mostly custom competition pistols, he looked at it and told me he thought they were junk. I sold it and picked up a S&W M36 and never looked back. The Smith took thousands of rounds before it needed retiming and seemed like a quality gun in every way.

I wouldn't own a current production S&W either though. Mine are all prelock and it will stay that way.
    Rule 303

I was looking at the Bulldog too, then I found out about the Ruger .44 Spec Bisley, and since I have a .44 mag SBH Bisley with the barrel cut to 5" it seemed like a good companion gun.

I paid $450 for mine and it came from Lipsey's second run.

Much better gun than any of the CA Bulldogs I have seen. Not very much more $.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

In Remebrance

I have been completely satisfied with my particular BD. It's light, accurate, not so finely finished that I worry actually using it. It's a working mans gun. I don't put zillions of rounds through it, but I don't baby it like I do my Star PD. I wish it was slightly more nicely finished from the factory, the almost sharp edges are a pain. Mine is from the 70's or 80's. If you get a good one you'll love it, if you get a lemon...well, that's life.

Boolit Buddy

Bought a original 3" Bulldog when they first came out back in the 70's. IMO if your going to spend hard earned money buy something good. My Bulldog is a piece of ****. I still have it and would be embassesed to sell it.

2shot

Boolit Master

I don't have a Charter, but I do have a Taurus 431. It is the SS 4in. fixed sight model. It shoots well. Very slick and smooth!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I have had my Charter Bulldod 2 years now. I am very happy with it.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C A Plater View Post
    I have a .44 Bulldog and it is a very light gun. I mostly shoot cowboy action level loads (700-800fps) and find recoil quite manageable. It;s not a heavy duty type revolver but I've had no issues so far with the few hundred rounds I've put through it. Not as nice as the S&W but lots less money.
    My thoughts exactly. The one I fired was actually quite accurate, easily toppling plates at 20 yards in spite if it's 3 inch barrel. Like he says, VERY light and servicable. Certainly NOT a Colt or S&W but a whole BUNCH less money.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buck1 View Post
    I have had my Charter Bulldod 2 years now. I am very happy with it.
    Buck,

Is yours made by the new Charter Arms, which is the original owners after Charco and Charter 2000?

I have been thinking about a 2.5" stainless. How is the trigger, throats, etc?
    Last edited by cabezaverde; 06-06-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Yes mine is the new one Charter 2000. The trigger is better than a Ruger in fact its not bad at all. I have never measured the throats or bbl but I size to .430 and have never ANY leading issues (even pushing boolits hard and fast).
    I was spookie of getting it at first as it seemed to cheep in price. But I would buy it again in a heart beat.
    The only thing is the front sight is a bit tall and thick. I think its ment to be fine tuned with a file to fit your load. That is what I did (easy). a great buy for a real good gun in my opinion.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for your thoughts! I think I will keep watching Gunbroker for a month an see about a good deal. I hope I can keep my billfold closed until I can find a Taurus or Charterarms.
    If anyone hears about either one that is available would you give me a shout?
    My personal tasts tend to be with a DA, otherwise I would be looking at a Ruger SA.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast