Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: 1903 Trigger Problem Part II

Boolit Grand Master

1903 Trigger Problem Part II

Follow up to this post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=117875

Well folks,

I replaced the sear spring with a new surplus replacement.
    Same thing the trigger won't reset after it is pulled past the first stage.
    If you pull the cocking piece back, it'll reset.

Need more trouble shooting. I don't remember it doing this last year the last time I fired it. What gives??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Can't say for sure without looking at it, but sounds like the angles of engagement are off or there may be an indentation in the cocking piece sear surface due to excessive dry cycling practice at some time in the past.

It's an 03...time to get a real mauser. Seriously though if a simple part replacement like this is not the trick... it's likely been played with by some bubba to relieve soem trigger pull and it got farked up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gew98 View Post
    It's an 03...time to get a real mauser. Seriously though if a simple part replacement like this is not the trick... it's likely been played with by some bubba to relieve soem trigger pull and it got farked up.
    It is a Greek return or so I have been told. Lord knows how many hands it has been through. The only thing I did was have a guy put a new barrel on.

I have a sear and trigger somewhere. Purchased from a gunshow on the cheap several years ago. Do you suppose a new sear would help?? The one in it is so nice and smooth from years off firing. I just can't see this going south from the end of one season to the start of another.

The new sear spring has about 1 and 1/2 more coils than the old one. I did grease every thing up with a bit of tetra gun grease.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    It is a Greek return or so I have been told. Lord knows how many hands it has been through. The only thing I did was have a guy put a new barrel on.

I have a sear and trigger somewhere. Purchased from a gunshow on the cheap several years ago. Do you suppose a new sear would help?? The one in it is so nice and smooth from years off firing. I just can't see this going south from the end of one season to the start of another.

The new sear spring has about 1 and 1/2 more coils than the old one. I did grease every thing up with a bit of tetra gun grease.

Shiloh
    I'd give the spare sear a try.
    Wear reaches a tipping point, one day things are fine then the next they aren't.
    A smooth shiny sear surface may mean its worn past the heat treatment layer exposing softer core steel. Once past the surface layer wear accelerates.
    The angle of engagement is off due to wear more than likely.
    Wear may have been accelerated by injudicious stoning at some earlier time.

I don't mind the military trigger pulls, these days the only time I'd touch a sear surface is if it had deep indentations, and even then its often better to simply get a replacement cocking piece since the surface must be rehardened with Kasenite.

Boolit Master
    Remove bolt from weapon, confirm trigger operation is smooth. Grab bolt and pull cocking piece back and forth and confirm no binding, side loading cocking piece in shroud. I would not grind or stone anything, previous post correct- hardened surfaces and critical angles. I have a collection of that stuff, send me a PM and we can get you fixed up. Gtek

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Can't say for sure without looking at it, but sounds like the angles of engagement are off........
    That is the usual problem when a 2 stage trigger will not reset if not fired. The angle of the sear and notch on the cocking piece must be correct. Most often they can be stoned back to correct angles but if not will need to be replaced. If you stone them don't forget to chck the safety for ease of and proper engagement.

Larry Gibson

I wouldn't mess with trying to run it down any more, as the fix won't just be a simple spring change. But a new sear and cocking piece and change the whole assembly out. These are cheap parts and no sense in taking chances with a bad trigger.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    There was a small flat spot worn onto the firing pin rod where the sear meets. It was small but enough obviously to prevent re-setting. I followed the original contour radius with emery paper on a round mandrel to bring it. to where it should have been. Works fine now. Reseta after multiple pulls to the first stage.

That being said, I will order a new firing pin rod to replace it. It will hold for a while but the problem will be repeated. Anyway to harden this peice so I have a spare?? Or should I order a couple and have spares??

Let me know folks. Thanks for the input!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master
    +1 for what Chargar said.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller