RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Decoy "slug" mold

Decoy "slug" mold

I have a friend that found the "Rig Em Right" decoy weight system to be a joy to use. I made a mold to make the sliding weights for him. The commercial weights are really just a 4 or 6 ounce egg sinker with a hole in the middle so they can slide up and down the string. (Google "Rig Em Right decoy anchors" and you'll see what they are...)

I made a mold that is about 7/8" wide and 1" deep and drops about a 4 ounce cylinder. They drop a little wrinkly, but I don't think the ponds will care. I would then have to drill and chamfer a hole for the line to pass.

I was thinking of making a new mold on the lathe and incorporating a center pin just like a hollow point mold. I have a 12ga slug mold and have been browsing pictures of other hollow point molds to model it.

The mold will be turned from 2 x 3.25 alum cylinder just like my first mold. The mold and pin will have slight tapers for releasing the weight from the mold.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachment 33327Attachment 33329
    Last edited by cheese1566; 06-08-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I to use the Rig-Em Right
    Now i have mushroom molds in 4 weights....
    Before i bored a 1in hole in a peice of hardwood .. More weight deeper hole.
    Used coat hanger to make eyelet works great.......

Banned
    Make a guide to facilitate a piece of thin alu tube in the mould. That way you cast the tube in the lead and have a perfect hole.

Boolit Master
    I made a "H" shaped mold a few years bac...It has 2 bars between the H lehs instead of one. That way you can wind the cord around the 2 bars. Hold decoy and anchor on the bottem and set in water...will unwind to the depth needed... then they arent so apt to tangle.