Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: solid lube sticks in a rcbs lam

solid lube sticks in a rcbs lam

So I have quite a few sticks of bac and carnuba red that are solid. How can I get these to work in the rcbs lube a matic I have coming?

Also can someone explain to how the lube size dies work lube wise? How come some have 4 holes and others have 2? How do I make them work?

You can melt the solid sticks in the microwave and then pour it in the luber. Just microwave for 30 seconds and then take it out for 30 seconds and repeat as needed.

I'm not really for sure about your question for how the dies work though. Turn the handle until you get a little resistance from it. This will give you a some pressure on the lube so it will come out the die. Then start with the lube stop high and run a bullet through the sizer. Then adjust the stop down until you get lube on the bullet as you desire.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Thanks for the help. I just didn't know if a die with 4 holes would get unwanted lube everywhere.

Also how come rcbs doesn't make a .459 sizer. Isn't that what the majority of 45-70 use? BTW they said they will custom make one for $96 a but steep

You can do a couple things to get a .459, hone out an RCBS die in a size you can buy close to 459. Or you can buy a Lyman 459, they're suppose to drop right in too

Dies with more vertical holes will do boolits with more vertical lube groves easier, although if you only have a couple holes the pressure will squeeze the lube in as the bullet moves past the open holes. If you have a bunch of holes and want to fully size the bullet and onyl partially lube it can be a problem.

+1 for melting the solid stick lube, if you have a hot plate to pre heat your molds, you are ahead of the game.
    As to a custom .459, contact a member here , his handle is "BUCKSHOT" he makes custom sizing dies to what ever you want, either LAM/450 type or the Lee push through style.
    Most modern bullet design's have only one or two lube groves, large Dia. bullets with large lube grooves fair better with 4 veterial lines [90*] of holes than the two veterial lines [180*]
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master

If you choose to melt the lube so you can pour it into the sizer--go slow and just get it to melt and not burn. Have the sizer set up to receive the lube ( cap off the top )
    inside the die you will find a small rod that pushes the bullet up and out of the die when you are sizing. Make sure the die is in the sizer and the handle is positioned so that it's on the up stroke. That will have the push rod for the bullet in the upper most position.
    This will close off the holes in the die.
    If you don't do it that way you can wind up with melted lube all over the floor and your shoes.
    Let the lube harden for a half hour before you size any bullets or the lube may squeeze
    out in unwanted places. Let it firm up.
    I wont say how I know this, but you can guess.
    This is how I do the Lyman sizer and I believe the procedure should be very similar.
    As for the holes, I believe it's been explained.

sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Next question is about top punches. Will the rcbs #374 substitute for the lyman #374? I need a punch for my 452374. Also what punch should be used with the 460-405 hb.

Thanks for all the help guys

Boolit Master

You need to get a few of theperfessor's "make'em your damn self" top punches. He is making the top punches so that you can customize them to your exact boolit profile. Very easy process and I think the perfessor is charging a VERY fair price for the blanks.
    Last edited by Doby45; 06-02-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Here is his info

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    If you're interested in my custom self-aligning no tools needed conformal nose punches for Lyman/RCBS style luber/sizers send an email to keiththeperfessor@gmail.com for a spec sheet, order form, and drawing.

Just $8.50 including shipping in the CONUS. A better product at a lower price, its the American way.

I accept email orders and payment by personal checks, MOs, and PayPal.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I just bought a lyman 4500. Had a whole bunch of solid carnunba red. Cut them in half with dental floss and then drilled a 3/8" hole in them. works great. Just kept cleaning out out the drill bit and good to go.

Boolit Master
    If it is not the hard kind of lube I just hold it as close to center as I can then push the lube stick up on the screw shaft.It seems sticky and dirty at first but it works.

Boolit Man
    Hello the camp! Concerning the several rows of holes in Lyman/RCBS sizing dies, they accommodate a variety of boolit configs by varying the holes in line with lube grooves. While my 4500 did not have specific instructions to do so, when I was getting xs lube on bullet base, I took a piece of lead-free solder (left over from water heater replacement) and peened it into the unused holes. That cut down the messy boolits.
    My Star sez to use lead shot; I use 7 1/2 and they work well. My future reads get more dies--likely from vendor this site--cuz clearing plugged holes is a tedious task. Hope this helps. mm
    Malpais Mike

"...... about top punches. Will the rcbs #374 substitute for the lyman #374? I need a punch for my 452374."

mebe007 - The RCBS and Lyman top punches with the same number are interchangeable. Best regards, Hunter
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Boolit Bub

Star

The lead shot in the Star works but I found that the end of a toothpick shoved in and broke off works too and is easier to get out!

Boolit Mold
    I have a much ignored RCBS Lub-Sizer. I also have a heater plate mounted under the sizer.

How is the best way to give the lube tube a good cleaning so I can start again with a lube I know exactly what it is? The last time this was used was almost 20 years ago, so I sort of forgot what was in it.

I am getting ready cast some 247 Gr bullets for my 300 Blackout for sub sonic use. The will be soft, about BCI=10, as I want expansion. Do not expect any leading my my AR15 from this because of the velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by mebe007 View Post
    Next question is about top punches. Will the rcbs #374 substitute for the lyman #374? I need a punch for my 452374. Also what punch should be used with the 460-405 hb.

Thanks for all the help guys
    For a quick and easy top punch that can be used on any boolit that has a flat on the nose go down to your local hobby shop or craft shop or hardware store and buy a length of 1/4" aluminum rod. My local hobby shop has them in 12" length for $1.89 each. Take it home and cut a short length of one end and use it as a top punch with the un-cut end down. You can get two easy ones from each rod and then after that you have to file and sand the end nice and flat. I do this all the time and I also make them of exact custom length and use my 450 as a nose first push through sizer with the rod and lift mechanism removed and I apply lube pressure and then backing it off to punching the next boolit into the die and they come out the bottom all lubed nice provided I get the rod cut to the right length so everything lines up.

Either way using it the regular way or as a push through just simple cut lengths of 1/4" diameter rod work great for punches.

Quote Originally Posted by old wanderer View Post
    I have a much ignored RCBS Lub-Sizer. I also have a heater plate mounted under the sizer.

How is the best way to give the lube tube a good cleaning so I can start again with a lube I know exactly what it is? The last time this was used was almost 20 years ago, so I sort of forgot what was in it.
    Easiest way I found was to place 2 100 watt lights a few inches away from the upside down/topless sizer. Place a pan under the sizer to catch the melted lube. Leave or find something to do for half an hour. When you return the sizer will have no trace of lube left in it.