Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duplicating Magma Engineering's Hard Wax Lube

Boolit Grand Master
    My "allegiance" to the 50/50 lubes has to do with ease of use in lube sizers and ease of acquisition, more than anything else. I don't push pressure or velocity envelopes very much with castings, and strive for the best dimensional integrity possible between barrel and boolit. That course of conduct is not very demanding for a boolit lube.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In my limited experience with Hard Lubes (Roster Red and Glenn's) the hard lube builds up around the part of the yoke the cylinder rotates on. After 100 rounds through a pair of 629's I have found it hard to get the cylinder off the yoke. I have also had trouble getting the base pin out of a SBH using hard lubes.

No more hard lubes for me.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

I heard KY jelly is a good hard lube. Sometimes ****** is needed to stiffen it up. ****** won't mix with everything. If you mix ****** with Rogaine you will look like Don King.

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    I heard KY jelly is a good hard lube. Sometimes ****** is needed to stiffen it up. ****** won't mix with everything. If you mix ****** with Rogaine you will look like Don King.
    I have no doubt you're an expert on both substances and buy it in large quantities. Tell us again about the time you gave your pet rattler a shot of ****** and he couldn't crawl or shake his tail for a month...

Last edited by Scrounger; 01-20-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Banned

Ill second that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret View Post
    Melt up some Crayola Crayons. It's about the same IMHO. At least thats my impression.

lube

I wonder why my oregon trail and leadhead bullets shoot so well with the hard green lube that is on them.the accuracy is quite good in 44 mag.I havnt shot them in a long time but remember 1 inch groups were possible in my 44.

In Remebrance

45r- You probably have found the happy circumstance of a boolit that fits your barrel well and load that the combo likes. No one here in favor of soft lubes is saying that hard lubes won't ever work. Rather it was the tone of the response to the first answer that put the guys off. "I don't want to hear what you think, just answer my question. And hurry up about it too!". Around here thats throwing a match at the powder keg.

The idea that something always will or always won't work with cast boolits, or jacketed for that matter, is not something too many of the posters seem to accept. I'd say thats a good thing.

THAT IS WHAT IS SO INTERESTING about casting your own bullets is you can make it work your own way sometimes.HE PROBABLY HAD good shooting with the magma bullets and didnt realize that people were trying to let him know that there are even better choices.There a lot of very good casters here and much can be learned.I find most opinions interesting even if I dont agree.We all make ourselves look a little cranky sometimes but we all like casting and that is fun.Sometimes I wonder if we get to technical.

In Remebrance

45r- You got it! We're on the same page buddy.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret View Post
    45r- You probably have found the happy circumstance of a boolit that fits your barrel well and load that the combo likes. No one here in favor of soft lubes is saying that hard lubes won't ever work. Rather it was the tone of the response to the first answer that put the guys off. "I don't want to hear what you think, just answer my question. And hurry up about it too!". Around here thats throwing a match at the powder keg.

The idea that something always will or always won't work with cast boolits, or jacketed for that matter, is not something too many of the posters seem to accept. I'd say thats a good thing.

It as always an interesting adventure into the human physciology how humans will bend and twist something they read or hear into a form of words to suit their tastes. You have quoted me as saying '.....And hurry up about it too!'. Please return to my question and you will see that you have misquoted me.

Thank you to those that have responded kindly.

In Remebrance

It was the tone of your response to an answer which was meant to be helpfull. Thats all. I'm not the only one who picked up on it. We do tend to get off the track here and the responses were intended to be helpfull. We can't hear your voice or see your face and know how you intend to come across. So if your words are disrespectfull or seem short tempered you'll get the same type of response back. None of my "quote" was accurate. Rather it was my feeble attempt to convey the tone you presented to the poster. I wouldn't take it to heart. I'm told I've been a bit short tempered lately.

It's odd, this place. At the same time we have guys complaining about the lack of free expression and such, we have guys complaining about too much free expression in answer to a question.

FWIW- I was entirely serious about the Crayolas. At one time they were considered an alertnative hard lube. It was probably 15 years ago that I read about this. May be worth a try if you can find something appropriate to add to it.
    Last edited by Bret4207; 01-01-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't it be easier if 9mmcaster told everyone why he wants to duplicate Magma hard lube?

Being too vague, will take posters off track. People assume thing, then we have all sorts of non related posts going in a different direction than the original intent.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmcast View Post
    Has anyone had success with duplicating Magma Engineering's Hard Wax Lube?
    I think the question is pretty straight forward. I see nothing to scratch our head about here. If someone knows the make up of this lube and they have duplicated it, well that's success.

To answer your question, I haven't nor have I tried.........Creeker

Boolit Master

Reading all the posts to this thread is really helping me to pass a long slow New Year's Day. I seldom go thru a thread that I don't learn something and sometimes I print it out to a file for future use even though I don't know what it will be. So thanks to 9mmcast for an interesting thread.
    John

Boolit Mold
    I have not tried to duplicate Magma's lube. My experience with it is limited to lubing several million bullets with it for myself and satisfied customers. It is the best thing I have found for lubing bullets to be shot at low or high velocity. Some lubes will do one but not the other. Magma's lube is not crayola or parrifin based (it isn't even especially hard) It is lithium based. It is a much better all around lube than anything else. Btw It shows quite a bit of ignorance to condemn something you know nothing of. 9mm cast my advice to you is to continue to buy magma's lube if you like it. I know of no way to know the exact formula without a lab. analysis. Bullet lube will not be a huge expense for you.

Banned

my answer comes from casting WELL over a million bullets and shooting them myself and testing and using many differnent lubes over the years and after testing probably 20 different lubes extensivly have found out what really works for me. As far as magma blue goes if i wanted a hard lube id use lbt hard over magma blue any day at any velocity and id go the same way with Lars hard lube its a better lube then magma in my testing. That includes both accuracy and the prevention of leading. Like was stated before i have found a good use for magma lube. It stiffens up the felix lube a touch. Felix is a little to soft for my needs. I probably have between a 1/4 and a 1/2 a million YES MILLION cast bullets at any one time in my barn and the temperature swings especially the heat in the summer dont bide well for storage with straight felix lube. I know i could firm it up with paraphin but i figure if im going to put something in it it might as well be a lubricant. Im not at all saying that the lube i make is the best. I know though it has worked as well for me as anything ive tested. There are some good lubes on the market for someone who wants to buy lubes. In all reality it doesnt take much of a lube for handguns. Put magma blue on a junk magma bevel based bullet and shoot it at 800 fps out of a 38 special and it will probably do fine. Put it on a 250 grain swc and shoot it at 1700 fps out of a 454 and then you will find out how good your lube works.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Mr. Clark, you can begin making the lube with lithium stearate. I would suggest the amout of lithium present in your final mix to be no more than 7 percent. Most lithium based lubes are formulated with this amount, or even lower. Lithium is basically used to make a lube more water proof than usual. Folks have made lubes having a 50-50 composition, containing a "lithium" lube from the car parts store and then mixed with beeswax. Try that, and alter accordingly. If you want it harder, add some carnauba; if you want it softer, add some coconut oil; if you want it slicker, add some castor oil. Caution: if your lithium lube from the store is made with a petro base, then you would have to cook the mixture to poly up the castor oil to be a little less anxious to leave the final lube when unattended. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 01-02-2007 at 10:40 PM.
    felix

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Mr. Clark, the folks on this board are all dumb asses. Those who know it all have already done what was required of them, and are no longer present on this earth, hopefully obtaining their just reward. ... felix
    felix

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Strange, in one topic, someone says that Lee Liquid alox is the best lube they have ever used. Now it is Magma. Pick a gender, Harold.

The best auto lube is sta-lube moly-graph grease.It has moly,graphite,lithium soap,mineral oil and works with bees wax,50/50 by weight.Only 3 dollars and 50 cents at napa.Felix is right about making sure you mix it right.Mix in a double boiler arrangment so it stays together.Probably would be good to put some Ivory soap shavings in to add a little lanolin,I think Ivory has that in it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast