RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Duplicating Magma Engineering's Hard Wax Lube

hard lube

anybody tried jakes moly ceresin,looks alot like magma blue and only 1 dollar per stick.he claims to be the number one seller on Ebay and says it is mixed with bees wax and other ingredients.wonder if his red lube is as good as carnuba red also.

I've used the red, and then ordered more! was using rooster red, but have now
    stopped using the Rooster. and switched over completly

Boolit Master

Thanks, Lars

I used your Black Powder Lube for my 50/90 Sharps at the Quigley shoot and am getting better results than the expensive stuff. Better lube star & softer fouling. After I use up the 50/50 in my Star lubri-sizer, I'm going to try the BP lube for my .44 Special CAS loads.

Your products are great and it's a pleasure to deal with someone like you.

Ed in Missouri

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    On the lube topic, I've started working on a hard lube. Now I'll have to spend more time at the range Oh darn it.
    That's the best news I've heard

I just shipped some bullets to a fellow castboolits member for use in his new .327.

Three different ziplocs of bullets, one lubed with Magma Blue, One with LBT hard blue and one with Lar's Carnauba Red.

I got word tonight, the bullets arrived, with the box unmolested (miracle of miracles).

The Magma and LBT blue lubed bullets made the trip without a hitch. No lube came off in shipping. The Red Carnauba lost lube all over the inside of the bag they were in.

Now, don't misinterpret this as a slam against Lar's lubes, because it ain't. Just stating what happened in one shipment.

The Red Carnauba is the best lube I've ever used, over, away and by far. Great accuracy, zero leading and cleanup is a breeze. Flows great in the LAM II, flows great in the Star, the price is right, and Mr. Larsen and co have been absolutely top notch to deal with in every possible way - every time.

But, the sticky from Lar's Red makes me crazy. No matter how much heat I use (or don't) it still gets all over everything. I catch the bullets one at a time in my hand coming out of the Star, set each one up on its base and let it sit for a day or two to setup. This helps some, but when loading, or storing bullets, all it takes is a few bullets to rub together to eventually get a film of lube on every bullet to the point I get clumps of bullets stuck together.

I got a couple sample sticks of lube about three months ago after swapping e-mails and PM with Glenn. One sample had extra carnauba, the other extra beeswax added. Both were better, but still exhibit enough sticky to be messier than I want to deal with long term.

The Magma and LBT lubes are great as far as handling and storage, and better than many with regard to lube properties, only problem is, in my opinion and experience, they can't hold a candle to the Carnauba Red from Lar's when it comes to lube properties and cleanup.

I haven't been home long enough to sit down in the last 3-4 months and probably won't be for another month or more. Haven't been to the range enough to make owning a gun worth the investment, let alone casting.

That, however is nearing an end (finally!) for a while.

I'm stone cold out of your lube at this point and need some more. I was about to order some lube this week, but just really just haven't been able to get up next to the idea of living with the short comings of the LBT and Magma stuff.

Since you are in the process of working up a hard lube, please let me be the first to order 100 sticks when you get it worked out.

I'll send payment up front, drive out and pick it up, or send a carrier pigeon if I have to.

I love the lube you make, if you can make it less messy, I will use your lube in everything I shoot until I quit shooting - which ought to be a hell of a long time

Which would work out great for me, one lube means i never have to adjust my heater settings, I don't have to clean out the sizers and I don't have to deal with the little jab every time I size and load a bullet because I know there is a better lube out there just because I choose the lesser of two evils. I would rather clean barrels than break bullets apart when stuck together.

Please keep us posted.
    ________
    BMW M1 HISTORY
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    At the risk of getting shot, has anyone tried Richard Lee's case sizing lube as a boolit lube? He says it is the lube a major ammo manufacturer uses on their .22 ammo in one of his loading books.

As for LLA...it's like I used to tell my former wife when I was cooking, "If you don't like the smoke & mess then stay out of the kitchen." The food always tasted great to me & the kids.

Boolit Master
    I ship mostly in the USPS flat rate envelope. I started getting many packages lost or torn open and only some of the stuff getting delivered. I then started getting tracking #'s on all packages and have only lost 1 in the past 4 months.
    Shortly after starting tracking #'s on everything, I started double packing also. I use the Tyvek envelopes(very strong) and pack the lube in flat and tape up with a shipping label on it, then put into the flat rate envelope. That way if the flat rate envelope gets torn off, it still has a shipping label on it.
    Part of the bad thing is that the Post office will only let you put one piece of tape across the flap and it's not supposed to wrap around to the back side.
    I'm sure the biggest help was the tracking 3's. Then you could tell where it got lost, so I think they take better care of the package with the tracking #.
    I started useing click n ship to print postage from home. It comes with a free tracking #, but another nice thing is that I have to tape the label on so I use extra tape.

On the lube topic, I've started working on a hard lube. Now I'll have to spend more time at the range Oh darn it.
    you have found my process.
    i do on occasion work for the post office and specifically in priority mail.
    i print my own postage/address label and pick up the free tracking.

may i suggest you use clear packing tape....harder to see...less complaints......
    and
    the next time a postal emplyee tells you there is a limit on tape, ask to see it in print!
    i ship lead..it comes with three bands of straping tape and several pcs of 2" packing tape.

all my flat rate envelopes are taped on all four seams, and then a pcs across and around the flap!

mike in co
    THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY
    only accurate rifles are interesting

ok kids play nice
    no fighting

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    As for LLA...it's like I used to tell my former wife when I was cooking, "If you don't like the smoke & mess then stay out of the kitchen." The food always tasted great to me & the kids.

Newt,

I have seen a lot of things on this board, that didn't make sense to me, that I have tried. But LLA on mashed potatoes ain't gonna happen.

Can't touch that.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    I'm getting pretty confused now...time to take my medication I think.

Boolit Bub
    Realize this is an old thread but I'm still curious, did you ever find a hard lube version of your carnuba red? *holding my thumbs*

Boolit Buddy

Here ya go:
    http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...=index&cPath=5

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    Realize this is an old thread but I'm still curious, did you ever find a hard lube version of your carnuba red? *holding my thumbs*
    CPL Lou
    CPL Lou

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    then taped up and did some more

You should work for the Postal Service.
    My first belly laugh of the day.

Boolit Master

Giggle, giggle............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacd View Post
    My first belly laugh of the day.
    When I was shipping bullets I came to understand how abusive people & equipment could be on small heavy packages. Had a few delivered & the customer's reply was the package arrived but was leaking bullets.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234