WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: HOG pictures and stories would be a blessing.

Boolit Grand Master

Not my biggest or best but very memorable. Guide watched this boar from the other side of the canyon previous night. We (guide, brother and I) set up on a bluff next night overlooking the little draw to see if he'd show again. Watched him work his way thru some very thick brush for about 20 minutes. Boar was spooky but seemed to be in a romantic mood and was waiting on a sow. Guide finally told me I needed to shoot...last minutes of the hunt, literally. I quietly picked up my rifle and deliberately dropped him in his tracks with a 45-70 spine shot from about 40 yds. Never seen a hog drop that fast but tracking him in that brush even for a few yards would have been tough.
    Teeth are nice enough too, always wanted a Euro mount.
    Sorry, butcher rack photos wouldn't upload.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Boar 001.jpg  
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 05-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    did you do that mount your self? looks great!

Boolit Master

Nice set .........

"Well, now I know where my ex-mother in law's dentures wound up!" Lol!

HV

PS- Nice hog. I think more folks should consider hogs as a prized mount. Some are quite colorful and mount-worthy. Just my $.02 worth.
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1kshooter View Post
    did you do that mount your self? looks great!
    No, Wade's Taxidermy did it for me.
    Another taxidermist did this shoulder mount for me, stole the skull and put plastic teeth in this one. He shall remain nameless. Nice enough mount, kinda hard on houseguests but a good litmus test. Still can't get the other one to load.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schott Ranch, Nail Ranch boars 001.jpg  
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Most taxidermists use plastic teeth nowadays as they don't crack.
    Semper Fidelis

This one a friend of mine shot in the end of February. I loaned him my .45-70 Handi loaded with a 405 gr FP from Missouri Cast on top of 30 gr AA5744.
    We were standing about 20 feet off an ATV trail when the pig ran by. He ran out to the trail, dropped to one knee and nailed her at about 30 yards while she was on a full run. Didn't go far, maybe another 20 yards or so.
    She ended up going an even 200 lbs.

Boolit Buddy
    nice mount TX!

Tatume, great picture. Where did you bag that nice one? What caliber is that fine lookin' rifle? Looks like a Ruger Mannlicher, impressive.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Hi Bob,

The Ruger No. 1 RSI is chambered in 270 Winchester, and has an old Leupold fixed 4x scope. The hog was taken about five miles back in a swamp in South Carolina. It ran about 30 yards and piled up, but had crossed a ditch in the process. I trundled back to my truck, drove out of the swamp, and came back with a fellow who dragged the pig over the ditch for me. He also took the photo.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    Great story and pic.
    I havent killed a hog in so long, I cant remember. Home remodeling and all...
    I did see some at the ranch last nite, but after fixing fence all day and leaving late I just went on by.
    I think that was the first time I have EVER passed a shot on a hog. But they were small, anyway.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Nice work, Tom! Congratulations!
    Semper Fidelis

Longwood
    Nice going Tatum.
    Nice rifle also.
    I love long, wood stocks, (hence the nickname), and have had the privilege of owning a few.

Chaos, did that little spotted one make a pile of little cocktail smokies?
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Well done old squash, uhm, I mean bean! @(;^]#>:::
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Nice hog, Tom. Lots of Russian traits. Can't say I've ever seen a No 1 with a Mannlicher stock but it looks good to me. Cool chair, too, but only a bike mechanic would say that.

Boolit Master

happy boy

Here is my son with two small pigs he shot yesterday out of a group of nine. He got an invite from a family friend to come and have a go so we went. These both fell from a single .243 wssm round (not cast) and he emptied the magazine before the rest of the group made it to the woods (maybe 5 seconds?). I was rather proud. The single six in .32 mag was backup and was what he carried to check out the results. This is high adventure for a 10 year old, for sure. His first two pigs, a little boar and sow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pigpic.jpg  
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    The last two I killed a couple of months ago. The first with my .500 Maximum and the second with my .45 Colt Bisley.

Semper Fidelis

Boolit Master

My hog but that is who dressed it not me-280# 255gr .41 cal in a 5.5"41 GNR- mv was 1330
    first shot was up the mount at the boar-I hit the mount and knocked a fist size hole in the edge so I thought --hoped I had missed-- I did not-- so I track trailed him until I could see blood on the ground and then found him-- I shot behind the right shoulder high and he went down at about 40 steps --next shot to the back of the ribs making a 1"+ hole and he let our a bellow--death bellow? anyway he was still clacking his jaw so i shot him in the spine for every once in a while he still clacked his jaws-- but was quiet when we got down no bullets were foun as all wnet thorugh --shot one was at about 45 steps and above me- 2 was at about 40 steps and above me - last was with the barrell on the spine all wounds in the hide were about 1" as the bullet has a .331 meplat-- once I learned how to cook him he was very good-- it is about time to go again -- but I intend to aim better especially up HILL but it was fun
    Last edited by GLynn41; 07-18-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add story

Boolit Master
    THAT is a nother nice rooter. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456