how often do you trim yer brass ?
    or when do you trim it ?
    or do you evah trim it ?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

44 Brass only

44 Brass doesn't seem to grow or shrink

All my brass gets trimmed before first loading and never again. I'm able to hold a tolerance of about .002 so I get a consistent roll crimp and never Have To sort headstamps.

44 brass manufacturers seem to hold a .005 tolerance and I've found over .020 between manufacturers.

45 Auto guys have told me their brass shrinks but they don't have crimp issues.

All I Know.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Once trimmed with the revolver and then sorted into batches. I never trim my auto brass and use to trimmed the rifle brass a few times before life's end but since using the lee bottle neck FCD (Collet style) neck sizer, brass has been staying consistent and I've not trimmed them either since the initial go.

Boolit Master

I dont' have any case holders for handgun ammo for my RCBS trimmer. I have one Lee hand trimmer for my .45 Colt that I used once to see if it effected accuracy. Since I only used it once... you get the idea. I plan to experiment more now with trimming, but I have not in the past. And I have loaded a lot of ammo.

I do trim my rifle brass because I have found even brand new brass that the mouths are too long and out of square on. I'm more worried about the lack of squareness then length as long as it's less than max. You can easily see out of square if you try to just barely trim cases. The mouths will only cut on one side.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just trimmed for the first time my 45 colt brass
    not sure if I will see a return on the effort
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

no i dont trim pistol brass
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    If you are planning on roll crimping the brass and they are all a bit different in length then by trimming you'll see a return with consistent crimps.

Boolit Master

If you are using low pressure loads, you might not have to trim it for a long time, after the initial trimming- that goes for any round, not just handgun.
    Pressure is what makes the brass flow.

I check my handgun brass every other firing, though, JIC.
    Doesn't hurt to keep an eye on them, and get them when it is needed, and not by a set schedule.
    I always trim new brass, too- they are notoriously long and uneven coming fresh from the factory packaging.
    Last edited by Charlie Sometimes; 05-29-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

I don't believe I have ever trimmed handgun brass.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    I don't trim handgun brass...never needed it.
    I don't even know why I have a case trimmer...it does look nice on the oak base I made for it, though.
    I don't shoot enough rifle to make it worthwhile to reload...at least, that is what I keep telling myself. That will change in the next year or so. My son shoots way too much rifle to not invest in the dies and components. Just too many projects going on right now to invest the capital and time.

bhn22
    The only time I'd trim handgun brass is if I were entering some sort of long range competition. The I would process my brass the same way I would competition rifle brass, except that I would not chamfer the case mouths,

Boolit Master
    Who in the heck sits on the front porch watching the cars go by trimming when it ain't needed?

On the other hand, what mad man says never? Had one of those yesterday. One bang was a fire ball and the next was nothing with recoil over his head. A blind man could hear the difference.

Turned out all cases were too long and some by as much a .022. (BEFORE SIZING!!!) And .... we didn't check them all. And they just dropped into his chambers pretty as you please.

Spot check every time. Trim when needed.
    Last edited by Bass Ackward; 05-29-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master

I trim almost all of my revolver brass ..at least once in its life span more often with full loads
    first i resize the brass, as they grow after sizing
    then trim & deburr
    I only trim auto brass or sort by length for x ring precision for a few match pistols ,
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 05-31-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Banned
    white eagle:
    One return you will see is when seating, the case is aligned with the crimp groove in exactly the same spot. Also, the crimp pressure will be even. One thing I don't like is when a long case crimps above groove. Brass ruined. Darn! If your brass is different lengths, then how do you know where to seat? Is the boolit seated where it's supposed to be? Trimming alleviates that problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    white eagle:
    One return you will see is when seating, the case is aligned with the crimp groove in exactly the same spot. Also, the crimp pressure will be even. One thing I don't like is when a long case crimps above groove. Brass ruined. Darn! If your brass is different lengths, then how do you know where to seat? Is the boolit seated where it's supposed to be? Trimming alleviates that problem.
    Ayep

Boolit Grand Master

Never, ever. Any caliber straight case. 45 yrs, at least a bazillion rounds loaded.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm... Not long ago, I bought some once-fired .357 Magnum nickel plated brass and trimmed them. When I was done, there was quite a pile of shavings.

Boolit Master

I only trim magnum cases (.357 and .44). Maybe it doesn't need it, but I have definitely found some .357 cases especially that I trimmed quite a bit off of.

I've trimmed quite a few 9mm cases, but only because I was making them into 9mm Makarov.

Boolit Buddy
    Only the .357 Mag and .44 Mag cases, but especially the .357's. I have acquired a lot of once fired .357 cases from multiple sources over the years. I bought the Lee trimmer and take the time to trim each batch (about 400 - 500 cases) after I size them the first time. Do not trim them again, but sure makes seating a consistent operation. Also, seems to prevent the lilttle mouth cracks that shorten case life prematurely. For me, it is definitely worth the time up front to have a large batch of cases that seat better, last longer, and appear to have more consistent ignition. Just what works for me.

Steve

p.s. I might add that all of my .357 cases are fired with a less than max but still substantial load of 2400. I didn't mention the .44 cases above because I shoot a lot more mid-range loads out of them than full power. After my experience with the .357 and the improvements that I think that I realize, I thought I would do the .44 mag cases but they really didn't benefit to the same degree as the .357's.
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; 05-31-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added a note about the .44 mag cases

Boolit Master

As mentioned above, always CHECK brass length based on max in a good book.

For .38spl or .44spl fired in .357 or .44Mag, no need to check. If they've grown that much you'd know about it by then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast