Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trimming pistol

Boolit Master

I can't figure why you wouldn't check and trim your pistol brass.
    Despite low pressures in some loads, it should be done.
    Like Frank said, and besides, it is a safety issue- why else would they tell you to do it in all the manuals, etc.

Dangerous it becomes at some point, and you don't ever know when that point is reached until it is too late.
    USMC 1980-1985

The only pistol brass I trim is 357 Magnum, and only when I use a particular bullet (Speer 180gr TMJ Silhouette bullet), because the bullet won't fit in my 686 when properly crimped.

All my rifle brass gets trimmed (which drives me nuts, because I shoot 1000's of rounds of 223 Remington yearly).
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

What you say is right if pistol brass got longer. It does not. Shorter in many cases.

Measure some, doesn't change or gets shorter. Finally figured not worth even measuring
    any more, haven't measured one in at least 25 yrs.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I think the major concern with Pistol brass is the case neck, I've seen some that weren't straight so, the crimp is odd.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

With new brass, I will inspect and trim the overly long ones. And if they are used in in rifle as well, like my 45 Colt does, I will trim them every 3 to 4 reloads if they need it.

Boolit Master
    Never found a need with pistol, yet.

Just got done sorting by headstamp and trimming a bunch of fire-formed K-Hornet. The Winchester and Remington Peters headstamps had a largish difference in case capacity, and brass thickness. I figured after going to the trouble to fireform, anneal, sort, etc., I might as well trim 'em.

Not too many were out of spec, but I know now that they'll all be in spec, and maybe I'll get a bump to accuracy to boot.

DrB

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I never trimmed pistol brass for about 40 yrs.
    But about 2 yrs. ago I got convinced it should be done.
    Since this involved 5,000- 357, & 3.000-44 brass, it was a real task, would not have done it if I did not believe it was worth it.
    Do a thread search, we have discussed this topic at length. It will be enlightening.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a "straightwall" caliber per se, but 32-20 WCF revolver brass WILL extend upon firing, and often unevenly. 32-20 brass gets trimmed every other firing, rifle or revolver. Starline brass is not as prone to this issue as W-W and R-P, and is thicker/stronger as well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Shows what a neckdown does, Al. Interesting report, given that the "shoulder" is
    pretty minimal, but same result.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    32-20 WCF chamber--die--and cartridge dimensions are all over the map, esp. shoulder angle and location. On the rifle brass, I partial full-length size the Starline brass, and since it goes into only one rifle this controls the stretching to some extent. I still haven't segregated Win and RP brass between the S&W and Colt revolvers, and need to do so. Throats vary, as do shoulder placements in the chambers. Once I start partial F/L sizing, I might get a better handle on case length. Maybe. It's on my List Of Crud To Do.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12