RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 170 grn SWC Keith

357 170 grn SWC Keith

Is Lyman the only mold maker that offers the Keith bullet design (xxx429) in 357?

I have looked (everywhere?) and it appears Lyman is the only option for this bullet. They offer the 358429.

Has MiHec ever offered this?

If anyone knows of any other options, pls let me know. Thanx

Look here.

www.brp.castpics.net

This is the original Keith version with full diameter top driving band above the crimp groove.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm pretty sure that Mihec put out a mold in this design. It is a Lyman design, and as such
    most makers haven't pooched much over the years - BUT Elmer asked H&G to make his designs, so
    I imagine that there is a close equivalent in the H&G stable. Unfortunately, H&G was sold
    to Ballisticast and they are recently out of business. Used Lyman or H&G equiv would seem
    to be your main choices.

Of course the RCBS 38-150 SWC is an extremely accurate boolit if you don't mind the lower
    wt and lack of Elmer's blessing. It is a short nosed version with a very similar design, a quality
    mold and a very accurate boolit, IME. Another top notch .38/.357 boolit is the Lyman 358477,
    (150 gr twin of the RCBS design) often available used and universally accurate in my experience
    along with many other users.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Mountain Molds will make you a 170 gr mold built to your specifications if you desire. Here's a pic of mine.

Boolit Master
    I have been making an inventory of my moulds and find that I have two of the Lyman four cavity #358429 moulds. I have not used these in years. One I know I picked up at a flea market for $10.00 with handles missing the wood. The other, I think I took in trade over twenty years ago, put it on the shelf and promptly forgot it.

I had switched to the Lyman #358477 38-150-SWCPB as the 358429 boolit would not fit the cylinders of my S&W Mod. 27/28's.

Both moulds have the round grease grooves. The first one, IIRC, dropped 168 grains with WW's. However, the cavities of one is sunk deeper in the block and the bottom band is almost twice as long and just comparing the two, I think it will drop about 175/180 grains. Typical Lyman! I'll be checking them out next week to see what they actually drop with my current alloy.

I'm also going to test another unused shelf queen, an H&G #51 ten cavity mould which is supposed to be thier version of the Lyman #358429 to Keith specs. with square grease groove.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Grand Master
    My Mountain Mold is slightly different than ColColt's, the nose is slightly different.

It weighs near 180 grs. Mountain Molds makes a FINE MOLD !

That's a substantial grease groove! Elmer would be proud. I discovered if I use 50/50 lead-Linotype mine will weigh on average 166.5 gr but if using a BHN 12 it's more like 172-173 grains.(sans the lube of course)

Boolit Buddy

H&g # 51

Caster of bullets... I do beleive..... the H&G 51 is the 160 gr Keith type and the H&G 43 is the original Keith 170 ish gr version that Lyman cloned into the 358429. I have all three.
    Just for info....

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used Lyman #358477 extensively in 38 Special and 38 S&W loadings. It is accurate, easy to cast, and devastating on small game, even at 650-700 FPS. Run to 1000 in high-pressure 38 Special loadings, it smacks coyotes down and deconstructs jackrabbits.

Lyman #358429 has a somewhat poetic design history. My own example has a round lube groove and shorter rear drive band than the front and center bands, and weighs 163 grains in WW alloy. It shoots fine, but a classic Keith it is not.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Mine has a square lube groove with the base band being larger than the other two. The top drive band is smaller in diameter than the other two as well.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Saeco that I sold here that was a copy of this bullet. I think they still sell it.

My 357 is an old first run Taurus. Think it was built on Smith parts. As such, the bigger Keith bullet might not fit the cylinder!

Guess I will look at the 150-158 SWC options. Gun is a 4" revolver. Not going to do anything with it but cut paper. might OCCASSIONALLY carry it in the woods, but... w/ a Ruger 44 SPC not much else gets carried...

The 150-8 grn is probably a better option. Thanx for all the input.

Boolit Grand Master

Lym 358447 or RCBS 38 150 SWC are near clones, RCBS has square lube grove 45 deg crimp
    groove, Lyman has rounded lube groove and tiny rounded crimp groove. Both are absolutely
    outstanding and IME fully interchangable.

Might have a 4 cav 358477 for sale in a month or so.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Mihec put out a mold in this design. It is a Lyman design, and as such
    most makers haven't pooched much over the years - BUT Elmer asked H&G to make his designs, so
    I imagine that there is a close equivalent in the H&G stable. Unfortunately, H&G was sold
    to Ballisticast and they are recently out of business. Used Lyman or H&G equiv would seem
    to be your main choices.

Of course the RCBS 38-150 SWC is an extremely accurate boolit if you don't mind the lower
    wt and lack of Elmer's blessing. It is a short nosed version with a very similar design, a quality
    mold and a very accurate boolit, IME. Another top notch .38/.357 boolit is the Lyman 358477,
    (150 gr twin of the RCBS design) often available used and universally accurate in my experience
    along with many other users.

Bill
    Darn Bill, I wsh I could get the results you get with that boolit RCBS 150 because I really like the shape of it, but it has proved frustrating to me. I just picked up another .357 revolver, and will sure try it soon in that gun. I'm hoping for that good match sooner, or later. On the other hand I have had good luck with the Lee 158 RF, and you apparently have not............ funny how some boolits, or perhaps molds work out.

Boolit Grand Master

Not so, I have had great results with the Lee 158 gr LBT style BB, official name 358-158-RF, probably
    same as you are talking about.

For example.

I put the wrong designation in the post-it note, it is for sure Lee 358-158-RF with the beveled
    base. Note that this is soft range recovery lead at 8BHN.

Very surprised you did not have good results with RCBS 38 150 SWC, here is a typical group
    from that one in my 586 6"bbl S&W. This is a pretty hot load, near max. "Trying" to put them
    into one hole! This is AC WWt metal, around 11-12 BHN usually.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    MtnGun44 shows what my experience has been. The RCBS 38-150 has been the most accurate .357 SWC. boolit for me. My old Colt Python (which was actually newer than my new Colt Python) absolutely loved them. Twice I managed to put five of them into one hole with that gun at 25 yards. (I had one of those targets hanging on the garage wall for years until it finally got tossed when I moved.) Sadly, my older eyesand newer gun can't seem to duplicate those results anymore, but I still find the 358-477 RCBS clone to be the one to go for when I need a an accurate SWC boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    LBT makes a 180 grain WFN for the .357. It casts good looking bullets.

I'm desperately trying to remember who cut my 358429 mould. I think it was Night Owl (?) on the forum here. It drops beee-yootiful bullets that shoot better than I do. Nice, square lube groove with a thick base. My very favorite boolit.

About as good as I can shoot with them. 15 yards, double action, about as fast as I could line up the sights properly.

Last edited by vanilla_gorilla; 06-07-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Here is my Mountain Molds Keith, it weighs 182 grs. with lube , ready to shoot.
    I've placed a Lyman 358429 by it for comparison

If it is about a deep and wide lube groove and a heavy wide front drive band, Elmer would have loved this one !

Boolit Grand Master

I might be a bit worried about that one chambering in some revolvers with short
    forcing cones! That IS one heck of a front driving band. I think Elmer was trying
    to position the front shoulder to just touch the forcing cone or nearly so. If over
    throat diam, the large front driving band might be problematic. If at throat diam,
    less so,although clearance would seem to be needed for easy loading.

Please report on the results.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast