Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: BTSniper Custom Tools and Dies

Vendor Sponsor

Received 125 dies back from heat treat today. Talk about stressful, over $30K worth of my product, 6 months of my labor and the future of my business all in the hands of those loading the package onto the truck.

Thankfully everything arrived in perfect condition and the dies look great! I'll be cleaning them up and completing final assembly to get them out to all of you ASAP.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    Great! So another week or two and we'll be swaging!

Now I have to gather up another 1k for some 223 dies, and maybe a .451 die....
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Old War Horse
    Hi Brian, I'm very interested in your jacket making kit, using copper tubing.

I've read this entire thread, and most of the linked threads. But I don't see an answer to my question.

Let me preface the question: I'm all set up on making .224 diameter bullets with .22RF cases. However, I recently bought a Savage Model 12 in .223 Remington. 24" barrel, etc. Here's the issue, the barrel has a 1 in 9 twist rate. My brass jacketed bullets are disintegrating about 10-15 yards in front of the barrel. FMJ works fine, but not the thinly jacketed (brass) bullets.

I want to try using copper tubing to make .224 diameter bullets.

I've noticed you don't have a 3/16ths tubing kit listed. Do you have a 1/4 tubing kit that will allow me to draw 1/4" tubing down, to .224? Or swage/expand up 3/16ths tubing to .224?

Thanks.

Jim
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master

Not being BT, but the answer is not making making your own copper jackets. Those are more suitable for larger calibers. Your bullets grenading out of a 1:9 twist barrel is surprising. They should do very well. I shoot mine out of a 1:8 with zero problems. Your problem is not your jackets but maybe your process for swaging them.

If you feel your swaging them correctly, then I would purchase copper jackets. I am buying mine now from a member here, Bullet Maker 57. He makes them any size you need, so you don't have to trim them. They are very good quality.

Just my two cents.....
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Vendor Sponsor

Yes I find it strange too as I am also shooting the Savage model 12 with 9 twist 26" barrel. I have splattered only a couple bullets but I chock that up to some flaw in the bullet or jacket becasuse I was able to run these bullets at max FPS of 3500 FPS from that 26" barrel in 223rem and they all made the target in a nice .75 group.

I haven't tried .1875 copper tubing jackets but anything is possible I'll be happy to set you up with what ever I can.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Old War Horse
    Lizard333, thank you sir, you have a good point, about buying jackets. However, I'm very big on self reliance. I don't want to have to depend on a supplier that made my jackets I need, and now is out of business to make my bullets. It makes a *lot* more sense (to me) to make the jackets from material I can buy locally. Besides, the copper jacket will withstand the incredible RPMs a bullet flying at 3300 fps has to endure.

As BT knows, I've built, and all but completed, a couple of presses, following ANeat's design. I'm just waiting on getting a set of dies from BT, to finish the presses off.

Yes BT, please, sir. Would you try and see what you can do in the making of a set of .187 copper tubing/jacket making dies.
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master

In that case you may want to investigate the cause of your projectile failure. The 22LR should do great in that twist.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Old War Horse
    Again, thank you.
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

In Remembrance

3300 fps!!! ????

That's right at MAX pressure, which would be a LOT for a bolt gun, and way over pressure for an AR platform.

In my 40 years of reloading, I have never ever seen a cartridge where the max ACCURACY was at max pressure. It has always been somewhere between starting load and max load, working up a ladder type development chart, looking for signs of pressure along the way.

At 3300 fps, I am guessing that your spent case shows at least one sign of overpressure.

And, yes, the rotational speed of a .22 LR with a somewhat open nose (such as with a Corbin tool set) in;t going to hold together as well as a nose which is much more closed (tighter metplat), as is the case with BT Sniper's nose form punch. Additionally, bonding the cores might even become more important than they would be at lesser speeds.

If you're striving for putting bullets THROUGH engine blocks at 500 yards, have fun with 3300 feet per second, knowing that you are giving up accuracy (MOA). If you would rather go for accuracy, and better bullet performance, start with a lesser powder charge and work up your development chart.

If anyone cares, I load ALL my 5.56 rounds at starting load for BLC(2) powder. They run through my machines well. They shoot very accurately. They're easy on the equipment and myself. And, they never grenade on the way to the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    It makes a *lot* more sense (to me) to make the jackets from material I can buy locally. Besides, the copper jacket will withstand the incredible RPMs a bullet flying at 3300 fps has to endure.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Old War Horse
    Duke, the figure 3300 fps figure was just something that I'd pulled out of my head. I didn't and don't really know the velocities of the 223 Remington cartridge. But you'd think I would, a much as I reload for it.

Sorry, I created so much concern.

But..... Doesn't the US Ammo plant load 5.56 NATO to 3360 fps in their Ball Ammo? Using 55 gr FMJ?
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Don't forget Jim and myself are shooting bolt guns with 24-26" long barrels vs. AR platforms. I have found the Sierra reloading manual for bolt guns to be accurate as far as max powder loads yet I get 200FPS more then they list with my gun and these 55 grain bullets made from 22lr brass.

At Sierra's max load listed for the 223rem at 27.5 grains with H-335 I am getting 3500 fps where Sierra only lists 3300fps.

These bullets did group well at 3/4".

When I load for their 3100 FPS load I get 3300...... go figure.

Just to compare Sierra lists 25.7 grains of H-335 at 3000 FPS in a AR platform as max with a 55 grain bullet.

BT

To each gun it's own and 3300 from a 223rem out of a bolt gun with longer barrel in my testing with these bullets is well short of max load.
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 03-08-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Keep in mind guys, test platforms matter. Most 223 data is taken in 24" bbls, so add another 100fps for 26" bbls, subtract approx 50fps per inch for shorter bbls. Then throw in all rifles are diff, tighter bores, tighter chambers, smoother bores, diff twist rates, etc. Rarely will you see identical vel from one platform to another, even with the same bbls lengths. The chronograph never lies though, the only way to KNOW what the load is doing.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Mold
    I received my order on Wednesday. The parts are of excellent quality. Thank you very much. I will definitely be ordering from you again.
    -LeadJunkie

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadJunkie View Post
    I received my order on Wednesday. The parts are of excellent quality. Thank you very much. I will definitely be ordering from you again.
    -LeadJunkie
    You are going to make me cry, my hat brim is worn out from sticking my head in the mailbox every day.

Vendor Sponsor

Yep! I know! Lot of excited people waiting on dies. They are looking very good and coming together very well. Better actually, they are perfect!

I'll get eveyone's order to them just as soon as I can.

Thanks

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    Will you let me know when you ship mine so I can keep an eye on the shop?
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Boolit Master

Brian, I had a thought yesterday while I was waiting for the CNC to go through its cycle. The benefits of this nitride surface treatment sound absolutely amazing. Might the treatment be worth investigating as a rifle barrel treatment? I am picturing improved accuracy, longer life and greatly reduced fouling.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Yep! I know! Lot of excited people waiting on dies. They are looking very good and coming together very well. Better actually, they are perfect!

I'll get eveyone's order to them just as soon as I can.

Thanks

Brian
    OK, everyone wake up now, it's just been a dream............................................. hehehe
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Vendor Sponsor

A busy week for me. I am finishing up machine work on 50+ 22 cal point form dies. If I am slow to respond to any inquires I'll get to them as soon as I can. Really got to get these dies finished up and off to heat treat.

Thanks

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    A busy week for me. I am finishing up machine work on 50+ 22 cal point form dies. If I am slow to respond to any inquires I'll get to them as soon as I can. Really got to get these dies finished up and off to heat treat.

Thanks

Brian
    B, you waiting to finish them & sending them off w/ the core seat die or? Any realistic ETA on the point form dies?
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol