Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: How to mill Garand clips

Moderator Emeritus

How to mill Garand clips

Hi,

I would like to make several SLED clips for single loading a Garand. I have the dimensions I need, but have not figured out how to mill the slots in the spring steel the clip is made out of without destroying the tool bit or the clip. Part of the problem may be that my vise jaws are not tall enough to securely grip both open edges of the clip.

The article (old) I am following uses a 3/16" end mill.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    John

John - I have made SLEDs for myself and several friends. I used my Dremel tool with the reinforced cut-off wheel to make the cuts and then made the bends with a pair of pliers in both hands. I have made the bends in two fashions and either works fine. Pics sent on email request. Best regards, Hunter
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Another question about the Garand if you will. There is a device that allows loading the enbloc clip without the action snapping shut until you pull the operating rod handle... what is it and where can I aquire one?

Holbrook Device

http://www.m1thumbsaver.com/

-ktw

Now that doodad is a cool little device. I will be getting one for my Garand.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Hi,

I would like to make several SLED clips for single loading a Garand. I have the dimensions I need, but have not figured out how to mill the slots in the spring steel the clip is made out of without destroying the tool bit or the clip. Part of the problem may be that my vise jaws are not tall enough to securely grip both open edges of the clip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    John
    Is there any way you could share a copy of that article? Midway has these clips for $10, but I wouldn't mind trying to make one first.

Boolit Man
    Well damn,

I'd never heard of a Holbrook device. That thing cures the problems I've had with Garands and why I never wanted one.
    Damn, now I want a Garand.

Let me guess , this thing has been around for 40 years and I'm just now hearing about it. God I hate being ignorant.

Cheers, John

Boolit Master
    I don't own a Garand, but found this link,

http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/m1sled/m1sled.htm

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Part of the problem may be that my vise jaws are not tall enough to securely grip both open edges of the clip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    John
    Try stuffing a block of wood between the edges of the clip before you crunch it in the vice. Also, try using a friction wheel to cut the spring steel. Most end mills don't like to bite into that kind of stuff. If you must use an end mill, use solid carbide & use plenty of lube/coolant.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Moderator Emeritus
    Thanks... A friction wheel sounds like the easiest answer. The article I have uses a 3/16" end mill and of course works great in the article. I have tried a carbide bit but still had trouble.

If anyone would like the article emailed to them, please send me a PM. It is very similar to the link exile posted.

John