RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: MPH mold problem

Boolit Bub

MPH mold problem

Stupid auto correct changed MP to MPH. I've got a 4 cavity MP mold that I'm having troubles with. The mold doesn't want to close flush with the hollow point pins inserted. Without pins it closes perfectly. I've tried all the pins and they are all the same. I wanted to sell it ( I don't use it) but can't with this problem. Any suggestions? I emailed the maker but didn't get a response.

Don't know if it'll help but I've found that running the two smaller guide pins a bit loose lets the main pins move and seat much easier. An occasional small drop of mold lube on the outer ends of the guide pins helps too.

You'll have to keep an eye on them backing out further while casting but just keep an allen wrench handy and give them a quick twirl if they need it.

Do you have the side pins screwed into the recess on the HP pins. Each HP pin has a small recessed area for the pins to bottom. Also it helps to polish the side pins and/or leave them a little oose to start. Pins must move freely.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    Do you have the side pins screwed into the recess on the HP pins. Each HP pin has a small recessed area for the pins to bottom. Also it helps to polish the side pins and/or leave them a little oose to start. Pins must move freely.
    I've got the side pinsscrewed into the HP pin recesses. But the certainly don't "slide freely " I guess I'll polish them up and see what happens.

Boolit Grand Master

I had one that had the threads from the pins to the guide rods rusted. No movement there and the mold wouldn't close.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't remember which mold, but MP had a mold shipped before finding the HP pins were oversized. He replaced them with the correct pins. The pins are made off site, and somebody goofed.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Usually the pins need to start off loose but I polish mine on a lathe so they slide freely. Also you take them out and make sure the HP ins will insert with the mold closed from the bottom. Usually just requires loosening the pins though.

Mold Maker, the MP 311410 had a problem with oversized pins. Miha replaced them without quibble. An excellent mould.

Boolit Grand Master

Look for burrs along the side pins edges and sides of holes for HP pins a small burrwill keep them from seating fully.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I don't remember which mold, but MP had a mold shipped before finding the HP pins were oversized. He replaced them with the correct pins. The pins are made off site, and somebody goofed.

311410 IIRC the number correctly. I have that one. Good mold and Miha fixed the problem by sending new pins.

To the OP, some of the MP molds need the pin loosened just a touch to allow full movement. Had that happen on my first MP mold. They just need loosened a touch.

My new ones need the pins slightly loose on the hp pin. Plus I squeeze the mold blocks together gently, but firmly a few times to seat. A little sprueplate lube on the little pins through the blocks helps too.

give him some time on emails. I had better luck with a PM from here, but give it a few days. If no response, give a kindly reminder. That last encounter I had was needing a new set of pins for a used mold I bought. It took a few messages back and forth and then a reminder. He was very gracious and accommodating to my needs. He is pretty busy.
    Last edited by cheese1566; 02-03-2016 at 09:45 AM.