Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman Returned Mold Today

I sent one back and only took them 6 weeks to replace it. So, when they say two week turn around, take it with grain of salt for will take nasty email to even get them to replace your mold.
    Might be they didn't like me or something but i was nice till 5th week then it began to wear on me how long does it take to replace a mold with new one?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    MikeS.
    the problem with lyman is that they don't LISTEN. Do not think that they haven't been told--they have!
    Yep, they have been told many times over. At one time a couple of years ago they were a sponsor here. Folks here started to ask those very questions; Why are mould being shipped undersize? Where is the QC? Those types of questions.
    If my memory serves me correctly, they never did answer any of those questions here on the board. They just tucked their tail between their legs and ran. (Dropped their sponsorship)
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Mold
    Among my favorite mold makers are LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) (Veral Smith) and Magma Engineering. Jerry

The problem with Lyman is they know there's way more folks buying their molds blindly, casting and shooting the boolits without getting into the finer things of casting like checking the actual size of the cast boolit and seeing if it's a close match to their throats in revolvers. People here are a minority in many respects and the masses will continue to buy Lyman due to the name, iron blocks and past reputation without question.

Boolit Master
    I haven't bought any new Lyman molds since the early 90's when they went through a similar period of poor quality. I bought a new 356402 that dropped boolits that were very round at .365", the were so big they had very little lube groove left when sized to .357. I sent it back and got one that drops boolits at .356. The last mold I bought was a 314299 in 1994. That mold dropped boolits at .313 and they were .004 out of round. They replaced it with another mold that dropped boolits at .313, but they are perfectly round. These days I just buy molds from NOE, Mihec or Lee. NOE and Mihec molds are dead on, and they back their products.

G

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    What will happen to Lyman if folks just stop buying their moulds is that after a while they will discontinue making moulds, and blame it on declining sales which they will attribute to folks using jacketed bullets, and not casting, rather than realizing they had a problem. What we need to do is write/call/email Lyman till they get the point that they have a problem! I have 2 newer Lyman moulds that cast small, one I was able to fix by beagling it & the other just happens to work fine for me as cast.
    What "WE" need to do is send them a copy of this thread, over and over again if need be. E-mail, snail mail, any mail, they will get the piont, or maybe not, doesn't matter to me. lyman as far as I'm concerned, has never made a quality product. I have had to send back more products to Lyman than any other 2 companies put together, it really doesn't take to many wasted $$$ in postage to figure out the solution. BUY ELSWHERE!!
    CRASH87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Very sad. I bought a 314299 from them and it is way undersized. I was lucky to have an older 314299 given to me that casts just fine. Sounds like a waste to send the first one back. NOE for me.

It cost $5 to send one back.
    Add that to the price of the mold. Over the last three years I’m averaging one in five molds returned For 20%. A few years back I wrote in a thread about the new manufacturing programs where quality control is judged by how much product gets returned or replaced on warranty. didn't get much response. I used to be in manufacturing and have sat through the meetings were this trash was introduced.

Believe it or not. If you are a machinist and have worked all day without running a piece of scrap you better scrap one out or you’ll be tagged as a sand bagger. No matter if you are running 25% more product with zero scrap than the other shifts on the same machine. I never bought into that and I paid the price.
    I’ve worked for Ingersoll-Rand and Caterpillar so go ahead and think I know nothing. In the mean time they are shipping all our jobs overseas. Mine went out a few years ago.

Send all your bad moulds back to Lyman. Do not feel guilty about participating.
    RCBS is a little better quality but Saeco is as bad or worse % scrap than Lyman and there moulds are pricey. With Saeco it’s hard to return product.

I’d prefer Lyman just charge a little more for there mold then turn out good ones.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...nty-policy.php