MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 311291/IMR4895 data

311291/IMR4895 data

I cast for my handguns and M1 carbine, but have never casted for my Garand. Reading a ton of info and following your threads has given me the fever, coupled with the fact that I'm about to run out of the surplus ammo, I need more cost-efficient ammo. I borrowed a Lyman 311291 mold and cast a few hundred bullets, lubed them with Alox, gas checked them through a .309 sizing die and relubed them for drying/loading. Brass will be once-fired Remington, full-length sized and trimmed, using a WLR primer. Powder of choice is IMR4895 and that is one of my concerns. The only data I have or can find is for H4895. I'm hoping someone uses the IMR and can keep me from wildcating. Another concern is the case neck. Will I need to get an M die or is there a homeade remedy for getting the bullets started? My last concern is filler....I really don't want to use any filler unless it is absolutely necessary. Any help and advice is appreciated.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...DSCI0004-4.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...DSCI0005-5.jpg
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Bub
    I am starting to load cast for my 30-06 trying different powders,have some data for H4895,for the 311291 start at 28.0 grns to 44.0 grns max it lyman data with wincester primer hope it helps.

thanks Dave. I have the H4895 data....how does it compare to the IMR data? The burn rate chart shows the H just above the IMR and burns a tiny bit faster. I would think that the IMR data could be used for my purposes. I'm not looking for a max load, just a load to cycle the Garand.
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    I cast for my handguns and M1 carbine, but have never casted for my Garand. Reading a ton of info and following your threads has given me the fever, coupled with the fact that I'm about to run out of the surplus ammo, I need more cost-efficient ammo. I borrowed a Lyman 311291 mold and cast a few hundred bullets, lubed them with Alox, gas checked them through a .309 sizing die and relubed them for drying/loading. Brass will be once-fired Remington, full-length sized and trimmed, using a WLR primer. Powder of choice is IMR4895 and that is one of my concerns. The only data I have or can find is for H4895. I'm hoping someone uses the IMR and can keep me from wildcating. Another concern is the case neck. Will I need to get an M die or is there a homeade remedy for getting the bullets started? My last concern is filler....I really don't want to use any filler unless it is absolutely necessary. Any help and advice is appreciated.

[
    I've had success with 4895 around the 35 grain mark, but I mostly use that load in my 03a3. You aren't finding a lot of info because 4895 isn't a very popular powder for cast in the Garand. Slower burning powders have better success. This particular topic has a lot of good info: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=27055
    Regarding the case neck, you can use a universal expanding die, or give it a good chamfer. I've loaded the Lee equivalent of your boolit without any issue in unmodified case necks. Make sure you crimp, though. As for filler; I've never used any, but you might have issues with low charges of 4895 not burning completely in the large 30-06 case.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Because you are no where near max charges and the two powders are very similar you can use the IMR data in this case.

However, just start at 28 and work up to 35. Much more than that and your velocity and pressure will start to get too high even for gas checked bullets.

Personally for 4895 I find 32 gr cycles just fine but I use dacron filler. I'm also using the 311299, so a little lighter.

While an M-die is best, a tapered punch or even a pair of closed needle nose pliers reamed into the case mouth will do the job. Make sure your seating die is set to remove any flair and perhaps give a pinch of crimp.

Boolit Mold
    Is it better to do a light crimp with the seating die or to use the factory crimp die? I guess the seating die will still need to be used to remove the flair from the expander die.

Boolit Grand Master

[I][You aren't finding a lot of info because 4895 isn't a very popular powder for cast in the Garand./I]

Uuuuuhhhhhh!!!!!!

Many, actually a lot, of us use lots of 4895 with cast bullets in the M1 Garand. With the 311291 try starting at 28 gr with a 3/4 gr dacron filler and work up in 1/2 gr increments until functioning is just at 100% reliability. Best accuracy will be found right about there at 1850 - 1950 fps. The heavier 211299 or 314299 does a tudge better.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

A Lyman "M" die is a much better tool for expanding the case mouths as it opens up the entire mouth to the correct dimension for cast and also expands the mouth and creates a shelf for the bullet to set on. This makes sure the bullet is started straight and without scraping lead from the sides. If lead is scraped from the side of the bullet it will lead to leading.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, thanks fot the info. What are you doing for crimping?
    Last edited by daviddoo; 05-30-2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: add

I went ahead and purchased a universal expanding die. It works great and makes me feel a lot better knowing I'll have a uniform expansion on all of the casings. Instead of just using the .309 cast bullets that I already have, I'm going to slug my barrel to see if I need a different sized bullet. Thanks for the great info here. As always, I appreciate all feedback.
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

I use a pounded lead impression of the neck-throat-beginning of barrel area. This tells me what size the neck area is so I know the max OD the cartridge neck can be. It also tells me the oal length that the chamber is really cut to,the throat size/shape and the bore/groove diameters of my barrel in the first inch or so. With my boolit set up to conform to these measurements I rarely have any problems.

Once I know what size boolit I will be using Ican buy or make an M die to open my necks to give the fit I desire. The M die not only expands the case mouth, it sizes the neck as well so as to not have too much interference fit between boolit and case neck.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine