Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alcan Powder

Can't help, CCB. But in my 9 Mak, I find that Solo 1000 and Accurate #2 are almost as good. I haven't tried any Ramshot Zip in it yet, but that has possibilities, also.

Boolit Mold

Alcan powder

Inherited al5,7,8,120 from my uncle the skeet shooter, i am a cowboy action shooter and have burned all the 5 and 7 in 45 colt loads, still have 8 and 120 and all i show for the 8 is 44 mag have no use for loading this stuff in plastic shotgun shells and did not trust the old feltwads so i have 120 and 8
    has anyone tried any of this in 45 acp? Or 45 lc
    i can use the 8 in 44 mag but shoot the blackhawk rarely so it would be a looooong time before i used all that up

Boolit Master
    AL-8 lists for something similar to Blue Dot... if you load heavy lead shotshells, there is some data floating around here and there for it, in the older shotshell manuals.. I think I have some data for Ballistic products wads and lead shot somewhere.. You could also likely use it for the smaller 20 and 28 gauges if you had to... Jeff @ GI brass had some of it some time ago and I wish I'd picked up some at the time.. I think the 120 is actually on the faster side. I thought it was in the range of target shotshell powder like red dot.. I might have some data for it in an old Lyman shotshell book from the 70's.

Yes, you can use RedDot or Bullseye data for AL120.

I've used AL-8 in heavy 45 Colt loads, and learned that it likes a hot primer, a heavy bullet, and a firm crimp - like many other slow handgun powders. My notes show that in RP brass with CCI 350 primers, 12.5 of AL-8 propels a 255 SWCL to 800 fps with 2" groups at 25 yards (4 5/8" Blackhawk). I got about the same groups and the same velocity with a standard CCI 300 primer, but more unburnt flakes.

12.5 is not a maximum load, but I treat unknown powders with caution. A bit heavier charge might burn even better, but I think I'd stop at 950 fps or so.

Boolit Master

In the .45 Colt I used 11.5 grains of AL-8 with 250-255 grain boolits and 12.5 with 200 grainers. As Rocky mentioned you do get unburned powder...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

I have used from 9.0 to 11.5 with the 45-270-SAA (‘bout 283 grains)…

Velocity from 616 fps to 763 fps…

11.5 grains was MAXIMUM in my Blackhawk. Velocities began to get less than 11.0 grains…

Good-luck…BCB

In Remembrance

Alcan powder

was quite popular in the fifties and sixties. I still have a pound or so of #5 And #8.
    My Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 1980 vintage has loads for Alcan powder.
    I still use It occaisonally just for fun. The guys at the pin shoots are driven up the wall trying to emulate my success. That is the fun part.
    The young kids wonder how a 72 year old man can do it.
    Rember "old age and treachery"?
    It ain't the equipment or ammo but the trigger puller that gets it done.
    I guess that I have shot more rounds of handgun ammo in one year than most of those kids will in their lifetime. Front sight and squeeze.

Life is good

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12