MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Not Surplus! BUT 4759 In Metal Can

Boolit Master

Not Surplus! BUT 4759 In Metal Can

I haven't been casting and reloading as long as many of you so consequently I don't know a lot of history of components. I went to a gun show today and after working my way thru a mob of panic stricken "gunnies" who were buying anything gun related(I even saw a few walking out with $1500-$2000 AR's), I found a several tables of reloading supplies. There in the middle of all the plastic 1# cans and 8# jugs was a metal 5# can of SR 4759. How long has it been since canister powder was sold in metal cans? I don't remember seeing any 5# cans(jugs) either except for Trail Boss. The price($81) wasn't too bad compared to what he and others were charging for everything else.
    John
    "alamogunr"

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd say, not knowing for sure, about 10-12 years or so, which is about when I got my own metal canned 5 lb. supply of 4759. White can with brownish lettering on the stick on label.

Boolit Master

That describes it exactly. Wherever this can has been, it was well protected. It looks new!.

I think the change to plastic came when Hodgden bought the IMR line just a couple of years ago. A couple of local shops still have some of the metal cans in stock but they keep up with the current prices.

Checking what I have in my stash it looks like metal containers of 4227, 4756, 7625, 4198 and 4064 have DuPont or IMR addresses and plastic containers of 4756, 4759 and 3031 have Hodgden's Shawnee Mission, KS address.

If somebody can tell us when the change was made from DuPont to IMR, that would narrow it down a bit better.

Jerry

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a metal 1lb can of IMR SR 4759 that says "Formerly supplied by DuPont" below the IMR logo. I figure that I got it no more than 10 years ago. The code on the bottom says "E95JY21", which could possibly mean "July 21, 1995"? Stan

Boolit Master

Depending on what you own, the 4759 may not last all that long.
    It is great stuff, just wish Quick Load had it in the powder library.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Imr-4759

Quote Originally Posted by StanDahl View Post
    I've got a metal 1lb can of IMR SR 4759 that says "Formerly supplied by DuPont" below the IMR logo. I figure that I got it no more than 10 years ago. The code on the bottom says "E95JY21", which could possibly mean "July 21, 1995"? Stan
    Last summer I lucked into a closeout on a 5lb can of IMR-4759 at Sportsman's Wharehouse in Spokane. It says mf'd in Canada for IMR Powder Co. Plattsburgh, NY. 12901
    The date code on the bottom of the can reads E95DE12. Perhaps DEC 12, 1995? Anyway I paid a whopping $62.99 and smiled all the way out the door!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Depending on what you own, the 4759 may not last all that long.
    It is great stuff, just wish Quick Load had it in the powder library.

I have a small supply of SR 7641 the surplus clone of SR 4759.

I use in the Krag, '03, and my sons .30-30
    As stated above, it was available in the metal cans until the later 90's

Shiloh

Boolit Master

In addition to the 5# can I got at the gun show, I've got 4# more ordered. I would have ordered 8 # but they were out of stock on those. Decided that I can get more later(I hope!). I'm sure it won't last long since I have several rifles that I can use it in for reduced loads. Although I have a couple of milsurps that I can't get brass for right now.

John
    W.TN

I bought a smililar can of that stuff in 1993 if that is of any help in dating it. I still have some of it and it is a great powder for cast bullet. It was developed in WWII for reduced load with "frangible" bullets for use in training air to air gunners.

Boolit Grand Master

Hodgdon changed it to plastic around three yrs back.
    Cans were far more expensive.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Horsetraded my way into a 12 lb keg of DuPont SR 4756. Big round black can keg. Still factory sealed, if dating scheme is as surmised, this one was a fine 1974 vintage.It goes bang.It smells fine, can is immaculate shape. Only used it for .45 ACP test loads thus far, but it may also see use as a 12 gauge slug propellant. I've used this (new manufacture) SR4756 for slugs before, and it works well.Though a thorogh re work of the load will be needed.
    Member CSSA, NFA
    Who is John Galt?

Boolit Grand Master
    SR-4756 and SR-4759 are VERY DIFFERENT POWDERS, folks. Apples and oranges, totally.

4756 is an excellent pistol powder, and is my go-to fuel for 32-20 revolver loads. It works well in a large variety of pistol applications.

4759 is a bulky reduced-load powder for rifle reloading, per the majority of published data.

"Close" nomenclaturally is meaningless. IT MUST BE EXACTLY RIGHT.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.