Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lee Auto Disc & Unique

Boolit Buddy

Lee Auto Disc & Unique

I wanted about 6.2 grains of Unique in a 45 ACP case for a 230 grain JRN. Lee's data say that disc .66 will throw close to that volume of Unique. I had to go all the way to disc .82 to throw 6.0 grains, a 24% increase in volume to obtain close to the desired charge weight. I double and triple checked the weight on 2 very accurate scales and they both weighed within .1 grains of each other. Could there be a 24 % difference in Unique's volume from lot to lot?

Boolit Grand Master

I use the auto disc alot and find I have to use one size larger opening at least. On occassion I have to go up 2 sizes, so this would not be unreasonable.
    Powder will gain or lose moisture and this could cause the variance in weight.

Have you checked the weights with a different powder?

Boolit Buddy

different powders

Posted by Leadman
    I use the auto disc alot and find I have to use one size larger opening at least. On occassion I have to go up 2 sizes, so this would not be unreasonable.
    Powder will gain or lose moisture and this could cause the variance in weight.

Have you checked the weights with a different powder?

I use the Auto disc with Bullseye, Win-231, & HS-6. All three are thrown accurately within 1 disc up at the most. This is the first time I have had to go up 3 discs to get my weight.

Boolit Master
    They reformulated Unique a little while back. Just trust your scale.

Love Life
    I use quite a bit of unique with the lee auto disc. 2 sizes up is the norm to get the charge I need.

Boolit Master

I find it best to calibrate your lots of powder, rarely are they exactly the same as the reference data.

Once I calibrate a lot I write down the VMD on the can of powder. Desired grain charge x VMD = CC's

I regularly have to go a size or two up, be it with Titegroup, Bullseye, or 2400. The numbers on Lee's chart seem to be a little high compared to what the powder measure actually drops. I think Lee does this for safety reasons, due to lot variations (better to be a little too light than a little too heavy). +1 to the advice to trust your scale.

That said, yes, all three of my Lee disk powder measures drop very consistently once set, within 0.1gr, every time. That's why I like 'em.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes this is common. The dippers are the same way, in fact I no longer use the chart and just guess and weigh the charges until I find what I can use.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    not one of my auto disk holes throw the weight listed, they are either way off or just under what i wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by nes4ever69 View Post
    not one of my auto disk holes throw the weight listed, they are either way off or just under what i wanted.
    Ditto. I am making my own chart for the powders I use now. Still love the measure though.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
    I think Lee does this for safety reasons, due to lot variations (better to be a little too light than a little too heavy). +1 to the advice to trust your scale.

That said, yes, all three of my Lee disk powder measures drop very consistently once set, within 0.1gr, every time. That's why I like 'em.
    Yes, Very good powder measure, and this is one reason to buy in larger jugs, or multiple one pounders of all the same lot.