MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: I whimped out !

Boolit Master

I whimped out !

could not bring myself to start carving on my M1895 Mauser to replace the trigger with a Timney...I decided to live with that military 2 stage trigger instead !
    I am a good wood worker with the right tools but something in me said,,,let it alone !
    call me a wimp
    atr

Boolit Master
    Mauser machined inletting is just too pretty to want to deface.

Boolit Master

my thoughts exactly Multigunner !!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Dayton Traister trigger will fit without wood removal.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

swheeler....thanks for that tip about the trigger !
    if anyone else has had experience with this type of trigger I would like to hear from them....I don't want to modify the original wood stock in any way to accomodate this new trigger.
    Last edited by atr; 06-19-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: text add

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    That was an EXCELLENT decision and you are to be commended for it. Although tons of milsurp rifles were imported, each one modified is one LESS original in the world.

I salute you sir!

I have taken stock Mauser triggers and deburred, polished and fitted a new spring that resulted in a lighter crisper trigger pull that was fine for my finger. There is a couple of ways to shorten the pull and/or do away with the two stage (Why?). Most older gunsmithing books have a decent section on military triggers. Really though, a good honing, squaring of the sear surfaces and a lighter return spring (within safety constraints) does wonders!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

The military trigger can easily be made into a single stage crisp 3 lb trigger without any difficulty and is reversable should that be a need for any reason.

I did mine with Devcon steel but I have also seen them done with a screw.
    The devcon can be carfully adjusted after setting to give the required amount of seart engagement with the first stage lifted. The return spring can be shortened or a replacement used and shortened, a quarter turn at a time untill the desired weight is reached. This gives a foolproof single stage trigger.
    I did mine nearly thirty years ago and it has not failed me in all that time . It has also been in three different rifles and is now in my custom 7x57.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Grand Master
    Or just smooth it up and wear out a couple of barrels, by then you will be used to the two stage trigger.

I actually like two stage triggers, and cock on closing never bothered me either.

Robert

OK..Somebody has to do it! You are a wimp!!!

I have relieved the wood to make space for Timmy, Canjar and other triggers is a score Mauser rifles. There is more than enough wood to do this with zero problems. It is just a simple spot and chisel operation.

I have used military two stage triggers. I have slicked up and modified military two stage triggers. But the end of the day, none of that can get you close to a good commercial single stage adjustable trigger.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

atr,
    "If" that M1895 is original, & matching, etc: please don't mess w/ it.

Your rifle is a fine piece of history, & a 2-stage Mauser trigger is of little consequence to a good rifleman.