Graf & SonsRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
StainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingBallisti-Cast

Thread: wads in 45-70

Boolit Buddy

wads in 45-70

why do you need a .060 wad in your load? would a. 030 work just as well? Where do you find wad material that is .060 thick? could ou use two .030 wads and have it work? just questions before I start experimenting. thanks a lot for any info. John

Boolit Master
    If you search a bit here and on some of the other black powder sites you will find a bunch of info on wads. I started last summer and the first person that helped me out (he has a wall covered with plaques) said he used a hard wad from milk cartons and then a newspaper wad on top so the wax from the hard wad does not stick to the base of the bullet. I tried several other types including veggi wads and even no wads at all and the most accurate for me turned out to be the original suggestion. I would suggest trying various materials and thicknesses and see what works for YOUR gun as they all seem to want something different. One thing to note is, if you end up compressing the powder then the wad will take the force of the ram so it should be somewhat stiff and not so sticky as to stick to the ram.

I bought a 45 caliber sized cutter and make my own so someday, probably around 2018 they wads will pay for the cost of the cutter! Unless the world ends today that is????!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wild thing View Post
    why do you need a .060 wad in your load? would a. 030 work just as well? Where do you find wad material that is .060 thick? could ou use two .030 wads and have it work?
    Some people use a combination of wads to adjust their load for best performance.
    A guy might use a .030 veggie wad, an eighth-inch cork wad, and a wax paper wad separating the base of the bullet from a 0.2 inch lube cookie.

Admittedly, this would be an uncommonly complicated wad column. But it is a valid illustration.

Some believe a .060 wad protects the bullet base better than a .030 wad. I suppose two .030 wads would do the same. I only use one, so I don't know.

As for your 'where can I find' question ...
    There are several places that are 'favorite' suppliers of BPCR-type items. But, this answer ( http://www.buffaloarms.com/ ) will get you almost anything you can imagine.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

You just need to experiment and see what you and you're rifle like best. Sometimes I load the .030 and sometimes the .060 and I know one fella that oft uses wax paper.
    These are my favorite wads http://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalo...24/7463753.htm followed by John Walters offerings.
    GUSA #6
    People will forget what you said...
    People will forget what you did...
    But People will NEVER forget how you made them feel

Want to join in adult conversation about shooting the old ways without the hysterics associated with other places?http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

Boolit Master
    If I feel the need to use them I use nothing more than wads cut from Styrofoam picnic plates. They are about weightless and impervious to any lube bleeding.
    I just adjust the number of wads to fit the load.
    Rather than cutting wads I most often just fill any space in the case with packing popcorn and call it good. Has the same effect with less time investment.

Boolit Master

bull has good plan if you get the byos they dont melt would smell like biscutts cooked with gunpowder . What could be better?

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Wild Thing, if you don't have one already, then get a good wad cutter. When you have a good wad cutter, everything that you see that is flat looks like it might make good wads. From newspaper and Milk cartons through to whatever you could imagine. I got a peice of LDPE from Buffalo Arms that is 0.060 thick.

With the idea of using two 0.030 thick LDPE wads, they will be the same thickness, but they won't expand in the bore the same way as 0.060 wads. I have read that as the powder gases push on the base of the boolit, LDPE wads will expand into the rifling. The 0.060 wad will expand more than two 0.030 wads.

I wish that I could remember where I read that. Could be one of the MATTHEWS books, or maybe the SPG book.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks a lot for your time and answers . I have a 38-55 that shoots well with a .030 wad and was wondering why yhat dosen't work in the 45. Just have to load and find out. Thanks again wildthing

for an initial investment of about 20 bucks for a punch, a couple bucks for a plastic cutting board, and a small hammer you can have all the wads you'll ever need. and it'll give ya somethin' to do on cold or rainy days when ya can't get out and shoot. got my punch from buffalo arms. already had a hammer and used a piece of plastic sheet from an auto parts shipping crate. the punch and the plastic have held up for over 15,000 wads so far. the 1/2 & 1/2 cartons i use are about 28thousandths for half gallons and about 22 for the quarts. if ya ever need any for a 50cal let me know and i'll send ya a thou. luck and have a good'en, bubba.