RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lyman All-American Press

Boolit Master
    I have had one since about 1975 and its my go to press for all my rifle loads and any load development. I also have a Dillon 550 a Lyman Spar-T, a rockchucker, a Herters No3 and a C&H. I gave up on the primer feed and just put primers on my home made primer post that uses RCBS parts on top. It has the RCBS shell holder adapter. It is the easiest press to use that I have for loadig one case at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the manual. I got mine mostly apart and cleaned the easy stuff off with soap and a brush. I got the turret off, but couldn't get the ball out. Got the part that goes up and down off, but left the linkages and the big rotating silver part on the main body. There a few bad spots that could use some sanding on the linkages and silver part, but those spots aren't too bad . Got all the other rust off everything else, but the knurled parts. My plan is to hit everything with brake cleaner for a final clean, grease all threads and oil all other moving parts. Sound right?

Boolit Master
    I am looking for a push button Primer feed with the swing arms for my other Lyman AA. If anyone has one for sale please let me Know
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Both pieces are listed on Gunbroker. The feed has a buy it now price of $70 which is probably also the reserve. I have a small feed and have would like to have a large, but it's not worth that much to me. Pretty much all I load on it is .45 Colt and I prime on the bench tool.

Boolit Master
    The Gentleman On Gun Broker is Dreaming. if someone want to pay that that's his business. . In my area sometimes I see them @ gun shows for $15-$20 .. Sooner or Later I will pick one up very Reasonable
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Buddy
    Got mine all put back together and oiled up. Didn't repaint even tho there are a few scuffs. Took some rust off some steel parts and reblued, but otherwise didn't take a lot of effort to get it back in good shape. Oh yeah, had to make a handle, that took a little work. Now just waiting on shell holder adapter and primer arm.

Are any options for quickly priming on the press? I like my lee safety prime on my single stage. Any thing like that that will work on the AA?

Boolit Grand Master
    Mattd, you are probably already aware of this, but just in case you aren't, Lyman still catalogs a conversion set to use modern RCBS-type shell holders (Lyman calls them "X-type") with your press. You will need the conversion shell holder base piece and a set of "Special-T" primer punches if you wish to prime on press. It's a good thing that you have the step-down bushing for the one oversized (for shotgun dies) hole... that is the hardest single part to find!

I'm not sure you're going to have the stability you need in that stool, but I would love to hear progress reports as you actually get it bolted down and in serious use.

Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagerman View Post
    Here's a picture of mine, great press, extremely strong and durable.

Jim

Hi, what kind of finish is on the Lyman? It looks so smooth I'm thinking powder coated. Nice press.

This thread is like the Lyman AA in that neither of them will die!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    My Lymans , I decided To mount 4 . SP,LP, SR, LR
    All fitted with the Push Button Primer system.
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    My Lymans , I decided To mount 4 . SP,LP, SR, LR
    All fitted with the Push Button Primer system.
    I feel like a piker only having two. One is Lyman orange and the other is red. Both have wood handles.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Glad to see CB has the info I need once again, I just had a friend stop by and give me a AA press, along with some older equipment. I would be interested in an operators manual or information on how to locate one if anyone has that information. I have only briefly looked at due to the fact I am at work so hopefully its not in dire shape. It has a wooden handle if that means anything.

Thanks
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Buddy
    The PDF manual I have is a pretty pathetic two pages. IM me your email and I can send it to you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123