Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So About Powder Funnels any Best choices?

So About Powder Funnels any Best choices?

Decided I need a powder funnel and as is often the case the online reviews are conflicting. I know funnel is a small expense in the grand scheme of things but tools that work right do tend to make things more pleasant. And who wants to buy three different brands/models only to find none work well?

Simply want to be able to set funnel on cartridge in loading block and pour weighed measure of powder into cartridge not on bench. Know that a dryer sheet will deal with static, so somewhat discounted those reviews that complained about static. Still nothing stands out as being as the obvious best choice and I have no idea if those reviews were written by a paid troll or someone without a clue. Figure the people here will know what they are talking about.... or someone will correct them

Looked at some kits. MTM Universal, RCBS Quick Change, Frankford Arsenal kit. Saw a couple of one size fits all, down to the Lee for just a few bucks. And of course the expensive aluminum ones that are really nice but too much money for my stretched budget. Don't mind spending a bit to get something that works decent but would like that expense to be the most bang for my buck. Too many people mention that their cheap plastic funnel finally wore out after many years, makes me think a good inexpensive funnel is a possibility.

Loading for .303 British, .223, 7.62 x 39, 38/357, and 45 Colt. From what I read the bottle neck cartridges are where the problems will come up. Oh look the rifles are all bottle neck...

What do folks recommend as a decent funnel solution for small batches of reloading on a budget?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Mold
    I like my Lyman plastic funnel. Flared on both ends, hasn't leaked powder in my useage.
    NRA Benefactor member

The Saturn aluminum powder funnels are the best IMO, but they are pricey at $12 to $20 bucks each as they are caliber specific. I have one for 22 cal and it works better or I like it better than the RCBS, MTM or the Lyman I have. I also have one of the Lyman powder pan/funnel things, I absolutely hate that thing.
    The MTM universal kit is probably the best for the money if you want the different drop tubes. There has been a RCBS funnel on my bench since 1982 and it works fine but I still find myself grabbing one of the others first.

Boolit Master
    I have never had an issue with the cheap red Lee one I started out with. I load from .25-.45 caliber cartridges.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Best bang for your buck:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/613...ber#reviewHead

That said, I bought a high quality powder measure that was accurate when dialed in and came with funnels that attached when I was doing a lot of single stage.

Boolit Bub
    I had some problems with static on plastic. Since then I like aluminum. I actually found an old small kitchen set that I use.
    I did not know about dryer sheets for static on plastic. Thanks for the tip I'll have to give it a try.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by altheating View Post
    The Saturn aluminum powder funnels are the best IMO, but they are pricey at $12 to $20 bucks each as they are caliber specific. I have one for 22 cal and it works better or I like it better than the RCBS, MTM or the Lyman I have. I also have one of the Lyman powder pan/funnel things, I absolutely hate that thing.
    The MTM universal kit is probably the best for the money if you want the different drop tubes. There has been a RCBS funnel on my bench since 1982 and it works fine but I still find myself grabbing one of the others first.
    Steve is also a heck of a nice guy. I own a Saturn funnel for 22 and it is quite nice.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

I have 2 of the cheap red Lee funnels, but my favorite is an old green RCBS that I reamed out some years back.

It is reamed big enough that I need to use a red one for .223, but anything bigger works fine.

In the end all 3 work, some with slightly more annoyance factor than others. Depends on your wallet vs your frustration meter.

Seemed like at least a few folk thought the MTM set was decent so I ordered one from Titan along with a few other things. Ok enough "toys" I'm going to be rubbing my wife's feet with warmed lotion for at least a month before I'm forgiven.... unless the "but I saved on shipping honey" finally works.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Buddy

I have the FA set and it works great.. different drop tube attachments for all the various calibers, never an issue with the plastic and static, just tap it on the case to free any kernel or two of powder that doesn't drop clean, though it really does. Also has an extended drop tube attachment that can be used for those tougher case filling chores where you need a longer drop.

I load single stage, sometimes weigh every charge (for load testing) and at least about 1 in 10 as I drop straight from the measure, so every 10, I gotta pour one in from the pan. Works like a champ for me, won't be without it!

Boolit Master
    To eliminate static on plastic funnels, just wash them with dish soap and water. Don't rinse, just let it dry.

Moderator Emeritus

A+++ with altheating's on the Saturn aluminum powder funnels! I have five or six plastic ones, and got tired of dealing with static electricity either having powder flakes cling or fly off them. Dryer sheets worked marginally to alleviate this. Then, on a whim, I bought a Saturn. WOWSERS! I'll never go back. Just my experience.
    BEST!
    georgerkahn

Boolit Master
    Use graphite on a brush to coat the funnel. This eliminates static cling. I use an aluminium made by Pacific and a plastic by Rcbs. Both work as designed.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use the red Lee funnels - wipe 'em with a dryer sheet to remove the static. I recently bought one of the Lyman plastic "pans" for the electronic scale that has a build in funnel on it. Once I got the static taken care of - it works great. I use it for batch loading both pistol and my 8mm when I'm loading smaller quantities.

My wife asked me just yesterday "does this reloading thing have an endpoint?" We were at Cabella's where I was checking for some 2400. Don't have the heart to tell her as long as there are better alternatives to be considered or being invented. Or I am still able to scrounge lead the answer is "no not really". I'll be keeping those aluminum funnels made for specific calibers in the back of my mind because they seem like they are really good. But I don't mind finding out if the less expensive MTM set works well enough for my needs since a few found them satisfactory.

I think the static issue may be influenced by an areas relative humidity, some parts of the country are a lot drier than here and that may add to the static problem, on the other hand that same dry climate might make air soft bb's work better for powder coating. Eh? you takes the good with the bad I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by altheating View Post
    The Saturn aluminum powder funnels are the best IMO, but they are pricey at $12 to $20 bucks each as they are caliber specific.
    There are a few (ten?) Satern funnels on my bench. They are the cat's buttocks if they fit. Most funnels work awesome on the next caliber up, where you don't have to hold them while pouring powder. 270 on a 7mm, for instance.

Instead of being outraged that a 7mm funnel tips a bit on my 7-30, I just got a 270 and it slides on and off like butter. 6.5 for my 6.8SPC...

If I really got enthused, I could measure the ID of the brass neck. That is, if anyone cares.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Grand Master

I sarted out reloading 222 rem and at a Doctors visit I got a couple of the old style ear cup from his light they fit into the case and had about a 1" opening at the top with a nice gradual radioused form to the smaller end. Worked great for getting powder into cases and was free. I have several of the caliber specific brass aluminum ones sinclairs sell and Lee along with several RCBS plastic ones. One nice thing with the caliber specific is they dont rock as much on the case as the universals do. I have an rcbs I reworked to 45 cal with a smaller hole to help slow the black powder going into the case. I did this with JB weld epoxy and a sanded down 1/2" dowel wrapped with tape ( only went into spout .060 and square end of dowel was centered at its end. let epoxy flow thru hole and around dowel re drilled and chamfered to match plastic. A funnel is handy and easy to use finding one you like and fits your teqniuqe is a diffrent story.

Boolit Master

I don't know if they still make them or not but I have an aluminum Pacific powder funnel that I love. When Hornady took over Pacific I don't know if they continued making them or not, I hope so.

Ken

I have a green one and a red one,, they both work just fine.

They also fit nicely in the top of a Rifle Powder Die so you don't spill powder everywhere.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    The best I have used are the CRT alloy funnels, machined from a billet, interchangeable calibre specific ends.
    When used in conjunction with CRT's load trays you don't need to hold the case or funnel when charging cases.
    Not cheap but the best rarely is
    http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_009.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast