MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lining a barrel on winchester 94 [25-35]

Boolit Buddy

Lining a barrel on winchester 94 [25-35]

I would like some feedback. The gun has the octagon barrel. I was thinking that if the liner with a chamber attached was turned and the existing barrel drilled to the same dimensions there should be no safety issues even if fired with factory ammo. The question is how much should be left around the chamber and liner when turning in the lathe? Is this feasible or is it just better to start with a new barrel? But the problems with a new barrel is the size needs to match the old contour or the hardware for attaching the cartridge tube will not fit. The gun has little collector value as the original barrel was cut off years ago due to a ring about 2 inches from the end. I have a lathe so might be able to do the work myself.
    If anyone knows where i can find a 1 inch 25 CAL. barrel i would love to start there.
    Thanks for reading and any suggestions will be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I had a Savage 99 relined to .25-35 by Beinke and Beinke, who were IIRC, up in Washington at the time. They used a regular tubular .25 liner since it was only a medium pressure cartridge. The cartridge should not need the integral chamber if normal pressure .25-35 loads are used. At least, mine has never loosened or given any problems.

My liner had a 10" twist, which stabilizes the 117-gr bullet just fine, and is good for cast as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you know how the liner was secured? Epoxy, solder, or Loctite ? I don't think anyone would hot rod a lever action Winchester. My intention is to get it shooting again. it is a family gun that will go to my 3 rd daughter when i get done with it. I would like to preserve the original lines if possible.

Boolit Master

I install one to two liners a week. The Winchester is no problem with a liner. I use hammer forged liners because there is a larger selection in caliber, also better rifling. They do have two 25 caliber liners, the 1 in 10" twist is for the 25-35. OD of liner is 1/2". I ream the barrel out for a close fit (.002" clearance) and use high strength Loctite. I have never had a liner come loose, even with high pressure loads. Liner is installed the full length of the barrel then a new chamber is cut.
    I also make new barrels for old Winchesters and other rifle/pistol.

Boolit Buddy
    John i was hoping you would chime in. I have read many of the posts here and i always appreciate your answers. I will send you a pm and discuss this further.

Boolit Master
    Not absolutely sure but I think my liner was epoxied in or maybe Loc-Tited. The drill hole actually came through the front sight dovetail on the skinny Savage barrel and I see no solder around it. I've fired probably 300 cartridges through it, most at full power and no problems.

I have a .25-35 single shot rifle with the original Winchester 1 in 9" twist. The 1-in-10 barrel in the Savage is a lot easier to make accurate loads for. Such a liner would probably improve the versatility of your Winchester lever action as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info. This reminds us again that the bore is not always centered with the outside contour. I to have an old 1899 Savage in 30 cal. and was wondering about lining it. It just seemed like it was to small at the muzzle. I lucked out this week and found a 30-30 Savage barrel that will screw in the action. Might need a little fitting but I have a chambering reamer in 30-30.
    Good help Thanks Keep them comming