Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 311008

Boolit Bub

Anyone use the Lyman 311008 bullet? I am thinking about picking one up for my .32’s. I load and shoot it in the .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag, and the .30 Carbine in an OM Ruger.

I am undecided between it and the RCBS 98-gr SWC. I have used that mold a little in the .32 Mag and it works well. I wish I would have got in on the 6 cavity group buy they had a while back.

Any opinions would be great. I would be willing to try any other bullet as long as it has a decent meplat in case I decide to use it for shooting vermin. I want to stay in the 100-120gr range though.

Thanks

Jared

Boolit Grand Master
    No 30 Carbine revolver work with the RCBS 98 SWC--but the boolit is LIGHTS OUT in 32 S&W Long and 32 Magnum. It has also done pretty well in the 32-20 revolver for me. No work with #311008, in general the 115-120 grain boolits haven't done as well in the 32 Magnum as the 85-100 grainers have. The 115-120's have the edge in the 32-20, and I suspect that might carry over to the 30 Carbine.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have the RCBS 32-98-SWC, the Willbird group buy 120 grain sort-of-311008-copy and the group buy 32 Keith. So far I've been using the RCBS in a Ruger SSS 32 H&R mag and the Willbird group buy as a plain based plinker in a 30-30.

I haven't had a chance to work with the group buy 32 Keith yet. This mold was not a copy of the RCBS 32-98-SWC. Group concensus at the time as for something closer to a Keith.

I'm pretty sure Willbird still has extra 6 cavity molds available for the Group Buy 120gr sorta-31108 if that is what you are interested in. Send him a PM

Found the link. this group buy was called "314-120"
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=willbird

-ktw
    Last edited by ktw; 12-24-2006 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added link

Jared,
    You might want to consider the differences of bore diameter from your 30 carbine verses 32 S&W Long or H&R Mag.. My old Ideal 3118 mikes at .3115. Not having a newer 311008 to measure I can't comment on that. Maybe some of you gents can give that info. Most of my 32 revolver barrels need .312/.313. You can adjust your as cast diameter by adding Lino to a certain degree. ...Geo

Boolit Master

I have a 311008 that we've HP'd. It works great in the .30 M1 Carbine (if you bump the nose a little using a RN TP). It works great in my .30 Carbine Ruger and in my Buckeye .32-20 in the .32-20, .32 Long and .32 Magnum.

I shoot mine at .311 and get good accuracy. Probably the best choice of available designs for these calibers and I've tried about all of the offerings./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I have a 311008 that is probably about 12-13 years old; it drops at about .314". I mostly size it .310 and load it in .30/30; it's barely long enough to feed through a M94.