When it comes to measuring I have 2 micrometers, and 3 calipers. Of the 2 micrometers, one is an older Starrett #216 which has a mechanical digital readout, and the other is an old TESA (made in Switzerland) one that's also a mechanical digital readout type. Of the 2 I prefer the Starrett, and only use the other one if I need to use 2 at the same time, or if I can't find the Starrett. Of the calipers, the one I use the most is a no-name stainless steel chinese dial caliper. I also have my first vernier caliper that my father gave me 40 years ago. It's made by MZB in Germany, but I'm not sure if it's East or West Germany as the writing on the back is very worn, and all that's still visible is "de in Germany" with "tern Zone" below it. I use it every once in a while to make sure I remember how to use it. The last one is a cheap chinese plastic digital caliper that I bought on sale at Harbor Freight for $9.95, and I'm sorry that I bought it, as it's junk, totally un-accurite, so I leave it on the fraction setting, for that kind of measurement it works ok.

When it comes to measuring instruments you have to figure that the cheaper ones are ok as long as you don't need high tolerances, but if you do, you need to spend some money. One nice thing about a vernier caliper over either digital or dial ones is that while you shouldn't be rough with any of them, the vernier can take more abuse than the others, and still work.