Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pan Lubed my first 45-70 boolits

Boolit Master

Pan Lubed my first 45-70 boolits

I've been lubrisizing forever, so this is my very first attempt at pan lubing for the BPCR silhouette rifle. I made up a batch of simple but effective black powder lube (1 pound Beeswax, 1/2 pound anhydrous Lanolin, 1/2 pound Canola oil and 10 drops of peppermint oil.) A proven recipe that works here on the left hand coast I'm told. Don't think the peppermint does anything except make everything smell good...

I was given an old rice maker missing the lid, so instead of throwing it out I decided to give it a try for melting the lube - it worked perfectly! Dropped in the wax and pushed the button, when the button popped the wax was melted, and not overheated! I stirred in the Lanolin and Canola oil and it was off to the races. 20 minutes later the boolits pushed out perfectly, and I have my first batch of BPCR rounds loaded up to sight in the rifle on Saturday. The cool thing about this system is that it turns itself off, so no disasters..

Boolit Buddy
    <--- newb that's been doing a lot of reading.

So am I correct in thinking there's 3 main kinds of lubing? Tumble, pan and using a lubrisizer?

I have a couple of Mihec's moulds on order and have just started now reading in on the lube section of threads. I don't really want to buy a lubrisizer right off the bat and actually really like the look of this pan lubing. Is it essentially the same thing that a lubrisizer does, but done manually... whereas tumble lubing just coats the bullet?

I'm now going onto page two of lubing threads, so perhaps will find my answers there, but just thought I'd comment on this one in the meantime Oh, also I have yet to order my Casting manual yet, just reading here first. Thanks! -Brad

PS. OP I really like the idea of a rice cooker since it worked for you! I'll be looking at the thrift stores for one! This method looks quite easy.

Boolit Master

You are correct in the 3 kinds of lube methods (there are actually 4 - but you do not even want to start thinking about paper patching).

The one thing a lubrisizer does that pan lubing does not is size the bullet. If you slug the bore on your rifle, and order a quality mold to match (1-2 thousandths over bore size), with careful casting technique you can drop bullets that don't need to be sized at all, just lube and load. The bullets for my new 45-70 sharps pictured above are done this way.
    My 30-30 on the other hand has a nice tight bore, so the bullets that drop from my Lyman mold are quite a bit oversized - I run them through the lubrisizer with a .308 die. Using a lubrisizer is almost a necessity once you start pushing boolits faster and crimping a gas check is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    You are correct in the 3 kinds of lube methods (there are actually 4 - but you do not even want to start thinking about paper patching).

The one thing a lubrisizer does that pan lubing does not is size the bullet. If you slug the bore on your rifle, and order a quality mold to match (1-2 thousandths over bore size), with careful casting technique you can drop bullets that don't need to be sized at all, just lube and load. The bullets for my new 45-70 sharps pictured above are done this way.
    My 30-30 on the other hand has a nice tight bore, so the bullets that drop from my Lyman mold are quite a bit oversized - I run them through the lubrisizer with a .308 die. Using a lubrisizer is almost a necessity once you start pushing boolits faster and crimping a gas check is required.
    Why not? Paper patching gives full jacketed velocity and accuracy with NO leading. What is not to like? BTW, I have used soft lube applied by hand and sized in a push through die for many thousands of bullets. Works just fine. And then there is dip lubing, works fine also.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    The cool thing about this system is that it turns itself off, so no disasters.
    Another cool thing, at least in the eyes of some guys, is that the power cord on that rice cooker might work on a Lyman #61 lead pot.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Wink

If your mould drops small enough it's cast, wrap, load, BANG. Does'nt get much easier then that with paper. 45-70 405 gr lee, pedersoli sharps. Pan lubing is kinda fun though.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master

Way back I tried paper patching and just got frustrated, but now with this cool forum and all the expert advise I may have to look into it again.
    At least now we have an easy source to ask questions and get advise that did not exist just a few short years ago. Nobody that frequents the ranges I use paper patch, so local knowledge is pretty much out.

You show up with PP rounds, every one snickers. When you out-shoot their fancy factory ammo you get to spend all your shooting time teaching them how to paper patch.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Buddy
    Well then, there's at least five methods. Let's not forget the lube pump. I prefer it over all the others.

Boolit Master

Wink

pdawg is right, you do get some strange looks after the first round goes off.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.